FM Sampler Review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dmacintyre

FM Sampler Review

Post by dmacintyre » Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:46 am

New Future Music (UK) review of Live 6 and Sampler seems to confirm my experience. I flatly vowed that I wouldn't buy Sampler because it was a rip-off and should have been bundled with Live. Then I unlocked the demo and was amazed by how quickly and easily I was able to create new sounds. Instant purchase then ensued. FM seem to think that it is an essential purchase for Live users and I'd agree. Now if only it could import locked NKI files I could drop Kontakt altogether!

D.
I invented coffee

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:46 pm

Not that I place a lot of faith in FM, but, my experience mirrors yours. I wasn't even intending to upgrade to L6 until I went dual core, but one tour with Sampler and I fell under its spell. I love it for sound design and as an fx unit. Had a blast bringing Fairlight CMI samples into it the other night and putting the Osc on them!
Image Image

condra

Post by condra » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:25 pm

fuck it, Im gonna buy it.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:51 pm

polyslax wrote:Not that I place a lot of faith in FM, but, my experience mirrors yours. I wasn't even intending to upgrade to L6 until I went dual core, but one tour with Sampler and I fell under its spell. I love it for sound design and as an fx unit. Had a blast bringing Fairlight CMI samples into it the other night and putting the Osc on them!
+2

...didn't get the EIC though... :D

Mike Goodwin

Post by Mike Goodwin » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:33 am

I just have just come into ownership of Operator and have owned sampler for a little wile now. I have to say that Live shines with these tools unlocked. It is so powerfull. You can have quality organic sounds, killer fm sounds, and move from samples to clips in moments and then twist things into an oscillator in a matter of seconds. It is very cool. The looping env's and the LFO in Operator are great tools. Very easy to come up with sounds that do not suffer from that static dead digital electronic sound. Now that I have Live with all the fixin's I have become even happier. It has actualy caused me to look at the fx again in a new way. I am trying to go to them more and get all that I can out of them. Sampler rocks, Operator rocks. They are not cheap but if live is your main DAW they are well worth it.

blank

Post by blank » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:35 am

Sampler is personnaly one of the plugin I like the most. The modulation capabilities are powerful and intuitive to program once you dig into the soft.

The native live integration is a real must to me cause he doesn't hug the cpu when he's not active.

It's pricy a bit but it's worth the money around here.

Anyway, i'm a live product addict, except for the eic :wink:
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

fragmentated

Re: FM Sampler Review

Post by fragmentated » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:26 am

dmacintyre wrote:New Future Music (UK) review of Live 6 and Sampler seems to confirm my experience. I flatly vowed that I wouldn't buy Sampler because it was a rip-off and should have been bundled with Live. Then I unlocked the demo and was amazed by how quickly and easily I was able to create new sounds. Instant purchase then ensued. FM seem to think that it is an essential purchase for Live users and I'd agree. Now if only it could import locked NKI files I could drop Kontakt altogether!

D.
i've been able to import all my kontakt nki files. open the patch in kontakt and just resave it. you should then be able to load it in sampler. it takes awhile to do but has enabled me to import all the "copy protected" nki kontakt files.

hope that helps.

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:53 am

I have not been able to import the classical instruments in Kontakt. Almost everything else no problem. Have you been able to import instruments from that first folder in Kontakt?
I'm very pleased with Sampler.

fragmentated

Post by fragmentated » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:55 pm

yes, i have been able to import them. using kontakt2 that is the VSL kontakt orchestra folder. i was able to import all of them. did you try opening kontakt first and resaving each instrument before importing them in?

after importing them i set up instrument racks for some of them so that i was able to use a macro knob to switch between various articulations (ex. - turning the macro switches from violin sustain to violin stac. and then to violin pizz.)

feyshay

Post by feyshay » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:50 pm

I have not tried resaving those particular instruments that I could not import. The rationale for the idea does not even make sense to me. I will give that a try. Thanks for the tip (and on the articulations tip).