First Mel Gibson and now this!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:15 am

Just watched him apologizing on David Letterman...Jerry Seinfeld was the guest, but they had Richards via satellite....he looked pretty shaken by the whole thing, and expressed sincere apology and shock at his own behavior. Some people in the audience thought it was a spoof, I guess, because they were laughing until Jerry said Don't laugh, this is serious.

He said he was just really angry and didn't know why or where those remarks came from, but that he wanted to find out.

Voodu

Post by Voodu » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:15 am

I don't even think substance abuse excuses would help him now. I know I'll still think he's an asshole. I mean I've drank and done just about every drug except crack and smack and I've never done anything remotely similar.

If your a douchebag all drugs and booze will do is make you a much more vocal douchebag. It's not like "wow, I'm all tweaked up, I just realized I'm racist" You pretty much have to be that way going into it.

thelike5

Post by thelike5 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:17 am

When pressed by Letterman about why he used racially charged language to respond to the heckler, Richards stressed, "I'm not a racist -- that's what's so insane about this," and he cited the "spontaneous" nature of his stand-up work. "I'm a performer. I push the envelope," Richards said. "I work in a very uncontrolled manner onstage. I do a lot of free association."

Now that's what I call "pushing the envelope"...

I remember when that played out phrase meant you were doing something innovative...

He's obviously just an asshole...

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:22 am

Voodu wrote:I don't even think substance abuse excuses would help him now. I know I'll still think he's an asshole. I mean I've drank and done just about every drug except crack and smack and I've never done anything remotely similar.

If your a douchebag all drugs and booze will do is make you a much more vocal douchebag. It's not like "wow, I'm all tweaked up, I just realized I'm racist" You pretty much have to be that way going into it.
Get a real drinking problem, cheat on your wife, beat up your best friend, wake up with black eyes you don't remember getting, then come back her and realize that EVERYBODYs ID is a bastard, period. Serious about that, get drugged up enough, and it's all gut, and no brain.

He didn't claim the drug excuse, that's pretty intense.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:54 am

8O

wow that was full on

Actually regarding black people using the N word - to me I see that as kind of taking back control of it - it's still every bit as bad for non-blacks to say it

I'm quite amazed he made it out of there alive really

nolus

Post by nolus » Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:11 am

it's very devisive for any group in society to claim a word (or anything else) for themselves while making it out as wrong for others to use it.

It creates a divide and perpetuates the us and them mentality on both sides.

I can understand why people who feel alienated might want to say 'yeah, fuck you, we are different.', and to play on the fears of the mainstream culture . but it's a symptom of a divided society, it's not a healthy thing.
"That very perceptive of you Mr Stapleton, and rather unexpected... in a G Major"

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:25 am

nolus wrote:it's very devisive for any group in society to claim a word (or anything else) for themselves while making it out as wrong for others to use it.

I can understand why people who feel alienated might want to say 'yeah, fuck you, we are different.', and to play on the fears of the mainstream culture . but it's a symptom of a divided society, it's not a healthy thing.
yeah but it happened the other way round - it always was only a hateful nasty word - so you could argue that it has been claimed back - regaining the control

like gay people calling themselves queer

tricil

Post by tricil » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:48 pm

Voodu wrote:I don't even think substance abuse excuses would help him now. I know I'll still think he's an asshole. I mean I've drank and done just about every drug except crack and smack and I've never done anything remotely similar.

+1`
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

muscleandhate

Post by muscleandhate » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:59 pm

Yeah, it's like domestic violence being blamed on alcohol or drugs, it is absolutely no excuse. As for the original clip, it is shocking! Seems like his show was hitting rock bottom so he resorts to bland racism? Stupid bastard, what was he thinking?

JahGuide

Post by JahGuide » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:16 pm

forge wrote:8O

wow that was full on

Actually regarding black people using the N word - to me I see that as kind of taking back control of it - it's still every bit as bad for non-blacks to say it

This taking back power of the N word is a lame excuse. You cannot take back power of something you never had power of to begin with. Think about all the people who got lynch, can you imagine the amount of time they were called that before they died. Did they had power of it then? I wish I was personally at that club. I would have kicked his ass. I would him think twice about calling people that again.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:30 pm

JahGuide wrote:
forge wrote:8O

wow that was full on

This taking back power of the N word is a lame excuse. You cannot take back power of something you never had power of to begin with. Think about all the people who got lynch, can you imagine the amount of time they were called that before they died. Did they had power of it then? I wish I was personally at that club. I would have kicked his ass. I would him think twice about calling people that again.
that was kind of my point though - because they never had power over it and it was always used against them, by taking it into the culture it's kind of weakening the hateful use of it and giving them their own use that they could do on their own terms

I can see both points

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:20 pm

nolus wrote:it's very devisive for any group in society to claim a word (or anything else) for themselves while making it out as wrong for others to use it.

bingo.
spreader of butter

EARLGREY

Post by EARLGREY » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:44 pm

NIGGER !

There....I said it...

But I can, because I'm black... :wink:

Poor Kramer....I guess he wanted to go the Andy Kaufman way but completely missed the mark..
He's lucky nobody went on stage to punch his lights out..

regards

fsk

Post by fsk » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:17 pm

I thought that was hilarious :( is that cos Im english?

I dont get it why its cool for black comedians to come out with racial jokes (ok not to the extent of that) but not a white one. Everyone has to watch what they say around black people.. owww. I got what he was doing tho. He just went a bit overboard with it lol.
Sound Recordist & Designer
http://www.postboxaudio.com

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:20 pm

american society isnt ready for that kind of thing...

the closest thing they have to satire is the daily show with john stewart - dick & fart jokes about important stuff.
spreader of butter