Ableton "Losing its way" while using for Djing

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
djtommyboy

Ableton "Losing its way" while using for Djing

Post by djtommyboy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:40 pm

OK so I was using Abeton last night to DJ at a club. After I mixed a track in to another about 10 times the next track wouldnt mix (Beatmatch ) properly. After that it was all downhill. No tracks would properly mix together at all. It was as if It lost its way??

Is there a way to recover from this? If one track wont mix is your set doomed??

Thanks
tom~ :(

TonySoprano

Post by TonySoprano » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:24 pm

So all your pre-warped tracks were suddenly playing as if they weren't warped? Are all your .asd files intact and in the correct place? Had you accidentally switched quantisation off?
Check out my latest mix:-
http://www.mixdepot.net/OutOfMySystem

djtommyboy

Post by djtommyboy » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:31 pm

well not neccessarily......I guess my queston is

If you warp a track wrong of and you try and mix another in and it wont..WHAT DO YOU DO??

Do you have to shut down the program and restart?

How can you Recover from that..It would seem that every track you tried to mix in after that point will be wrong

Tom~

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sat Dec 09, 2006 8:36 pm

This is why it's CRITICAL to test your warping before playing out. Once it goes south because your warping is off, it can be a pain to fix. I tend to use only a few warp markers, and on the couple times I've realized I warped tune wrong (usually warping based on the snare being 1.1.1 and not the kick), I could quickly select all my markers and slide them all to fix it. But if you messed up the markers very badly, your best bet is to grab another track really quick. Restarting Live won't fix badly placed warp markers, they'll still be there when you restart.

roby

Post by roby » Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:06 am

yes, unlike using something like Traktor, with Live you definitely have to test and demo things before you take your set out into the real world. with true DJ applications you can always make adjustments of pitch and push forward to conpensate and avoid train wrecks, but not with Live. You have to absolutely test every single clip you plan on playing (or not) live.

a good tip, if you can, is to always warp and practice with an external harware drum machine synced to Live as a slave. i've been testing and warping a bunch of tracks and i've been playing along a simple drum loop on my Machinedrum very successfully. you can also make a simple MIDI clip playing a beat through Impulse. this tip in combination with this tutorial http://www.ableton.com/pages/tips/2004_04 is a perfect.