Korg Zero 4 & 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mohler

Post by mohler » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 pm

I'm a little confused. I like the look of the Zero8 and generally I use about 8 tracks for live performances. So it looks perfect; tons of knobs per channel, which I find lacking on most fader controllers.

But I've just sold my 1210s and a DJM600 since I mostly play my own stuff these days and don't have any external sources. I think I'll be paying over the odds for a swanky controller when I probably won't use the built in mixer.

I'm thinking I'd be better off with another controller and a KP3. What do you reckon? Or just shell out for the Lemur & be done with it!
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

mohler

Post by mohler » Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:06 pm

I see that Sonicstate have posted a video on the Zero4 & 8 from Winter NAMM 07

http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=4139
rolymiller.com
MacPro 8Core 2.8GHz, MacBookPro 2.2+2.4GHz, Macbook 2.0GHz 2GB, Metric Halo ULN/2, UltraLite, Ensemble, Axiom 49, Logic Studio, Live 6,

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:12 pm

Mohler, I think you are overlooking something: The Zero4 and 8 act as audio interfaces, so they can be used to mix your Ableton Live tracks externally. This adds a lot.

After watching the video I am beginning to think that the Zero4 is way cooler than the Zero8 is, effect-wise. Kinda disappointed by the zero8 in that department, especially considering the almost ridiculous price tag.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Dr. Zoiberg

Post by Dr. Zoiberg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:52 pm

Machinate wrote:Mohler, I think you are overlooking something: The Zero4 and 8 act as audio interfaces, so they can be used to mix your Ableton Live tracks externally. This adds a lot.

After watching the video I am beginning to think that the Zero4 is way cooler than the Zero8 is, effect-wise. Kinda disappointed by the zero8 in that department, especially considering the almost ridiculous price tag.
So the effects are not the same?
I'll watch the video.

For me the best thing about these Korgs is that the audio and midi sections are interchangeable, there are 4 or 8 identical channels of midi or audio.
They could have left the effects out, I think there's no point in using a kaoss pad when you have two sends going to Live.

mohler

Post by mohler » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:45 pm

Hey! Thanks Machinate for pointing that out! I had forgotten, I knew there must be something else to justify shelling out that sort of cash.

I do think it would be good for studio use as well as performance. It kind of goes against the my recent aim of trying to slim down my live kit so i can get it into carry on luggage so I don't have to let it out of my sight.

The way I'm working right now, I would be using only midi to control Live channels but I'm in the middle of flux with my live setup so it might find some space yet. If I still had decks or CDs it would probably be the best thing ever! I guess I'll have to see how my thought process progresses and then have a play with one once they are released and see if it all clicks. I guess if I start to add some instruments to my live set up the mixer function would be good but I can still do that right now internally in Live.

But in the studio that would be very helpful!
rolymiller.com

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:52 pm

mohler wrote: It kind of goes against the my recent aim of trying to slim down my live kit so i can get it into carry on luggage so I don't have to let it out of my sight.
Trust me on this one: Backpack, Lemur, laptop, audio interface..... bliss! Going through airports with the Lemur in the backpack is a great feeling.

Only thing to watch out for is that you might be just on the edge of the carry-on weight limit. Don't pack anything else ;-)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

massiveheadpain

Post by massiveheadpain » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:13 am

$2000 is not overpriced by any means. It is a midi controller with 122 assignable controllers, a 16 I/O firewire interface, an 8 channel audio mixer, and an effects proccessor with a touchscreen/xy pad. for the money i thinks it is a good bang for your buck. The xone 3d is $2700 with only 6 channels for the audio interface (2 are dedicated sends), a 4 channel audio mixer, and 105 midi assignable controllers. Plus the xone 3d does not have the led rings that come in handy in a dark club. zero8 pwns other midi controllers IMO

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:19 am

I agree with Massive. I'm surprised you think the 4's effects are better than the 8's. You get so much more with the 8, plus touch screen control. What don't you like about that?

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:17 am

I wish the 8's effects were like the 4(on a per channel basis)

not a deal breaker though
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:28 pm

fuck i wish i could afford one of these bad boys
they look so damn hot!

mohler

Post by mohler » Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:06 pm

Machinate,

A bliss I hope I can try out some day! I'm normally way over on my carry on allowance & it kills my shoulders too (Powerbook, lacie, ULN2 & associated power supplies headphones). That's why I carry pain killers as well. Until I find the right wheelie based solution.
rolymiller.com

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:34 am

just watched the video- much LARGER than I originally thought!

Too pricey for me right now, but they do look cool. I'm anxious to see a whole demo-I wish that video went on longer.

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:37 am

yes, it is almost as big as a regular style mackie mixer. But that's a lot of functionality built in to that thing.

I think, for me, it comes down to audio quality - which I think my Onyx mixer is of much better quality for studio work. But for live work that requires flexibility and multiple channels, it is pretty hot.

rob.
http://www.robtronik.com | DJ Mixes, Blogtronik, Event Schedule

stratusseeker

Post by stratusseeker » Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:46 am

yeah, they've got a lot of money/price riding on the interface sounding good. at that price it needs to sound as good as other standalone firewire audio interfaces.

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:11 am

People rave abut the sound of korg's multitrack recorders.

i'm sure some of that technology is in these products
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST