Is tech at a stalemate?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Stalemate in our field of desire?

yes
47%
no
53%

Total votes: 19

eyeknow

Is tech at a stalemate?

Post by eyeknow » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:10 am

My namm 2007 poll from way back (although just concluded) has left more that a few in a quandry.......er, the "we want BEEF" quandry that is.......

Are things at a stalemate? Is the line between new tech and "eh I've got enought" that short that there is nothing we can really be bothered with unless it's just insane?

discuss

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:30 am

We need more MIDI keyboards!!!!
There is not enough choice.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:34 am

hoffman2k wrote:We need more MIDI keyboards!!!!
I disagree. I think what the world needs is more cheesy, fake-retro gear. :)

RePeter

Post by RePeter » Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:38 am

I can think of a dozen different midi control surfaces i would like, unfortunatly what is fantastic for one person is useless for another.

The first company to make an easy to assemble (i.e no souldering) modular midi controller has got my £££.
MBP 2.4 & a shit load of Faderfoxes!

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:12 pm

RePeter wrote:I can think of a dozen different midi control surfaces i would like, unfortunatly what is fantastic for one person is useless for another.

The first company to make an easy to assemble (i.e no souldering) modular midi controller has got my £££.
...ahem... :arrow: www.jazzmutant.com

Now that I've got that out of the way:
Yes and no. I think the music gear scene is drying up a bit, but people like Arturia and Korg are still pushing it, I think.
Also, we're seeing an influx of equipment from the general computer interface scene, which is making quite complex stuff relatively inexpensive - stuff like the Space Navigator and the wiiMote, for instance.

Also, we're moving towards more and more individualized music solutions, both in hardware and in software, so we'll see more creative use and abuse of existing tech now, which will eventually lead us to new and more interesting music equipment I think.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:16 pm

Machinate wrote:The first company to make an easy to assemble (i.e no souldering) modular midi controller has got my £££.
Coming soon (allegedly): http://www.mawzer.com/
OS X, Live 9, Microbook II

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:20 pm

robbmasters wrote:
Machinate wrote:The first company to make an easy to assemble (i.e no souldering) modular midi controller has got my £££.
Coming soon (allegedly): http://www.mawzer.com/
haha, you're kidding right? They've been saying coming soon for over two years now, and a full unit will cost about the same as a Lemur... I feel I made the wisest investment :wink:
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

mbenigni

Post by mbenigni » Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:15 pm

I see a lot of options for keeping your hands busy (try to leave that one alone, guys LOL) but I'm amazed another year got past us without any new, reasonable options for foot controllers. Of course, I am a guitarist...

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:54 pm

No real quandry here, most new gear is premiered at the Frankfurt Musikmesse, since it's the larger (and for most companies more important) show.

minimal

Post by minimal » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:11 pm

sqook wrote:
with stupid tubes in it labeled "warm sounding"

robin

Post by robin » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:33 pm

mcconaghy wrote:No real quandry here, most new gear is premiered at the Frankfurt Musikmesse, since it's the larger (and for most companies more important) show.
Given most of the important stuff these days comes from Europe it stand to reason the European show is where it all happens.

*ducks*

:)
...that aren't even in the signal path...

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:39 pm

I still contend the Abes, Mathias Faderfox or Uli Behringer (or anyone!) could make a killing with reasonably-priced modular snap-together Live hardware control units. They'd be similar to the fictitious Mawzer units, but Live-specific (DJ, production, live-performance oriented, etc) and Behringer BCR-2000 quality, manufactured in Chinese sweatshops M-Audio/Behringer-style to keep the cost down.
Last edited by hambone1 on Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:47 pm

minimal wrote:
sqook wrote:
Maybe name it something like "Phucking Phat Zynth"

"It Rox your Sox Off"

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:59 pm

Just saw a video on Youtube about Monodeck II. Now I know I'd make cooler music if I had Henke's controller.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:40 pm

nebulae wrote:Just saw a video on Youtube about Monodeck II. Now I know I'd make cooler music if I had Henke's controller.
:) I'd have to say I'm still learning how to get the most out of what I have, but there are things that have come out in the past couple of years (the tranzport for one) that would've made things a lot easier at the beginning.

I think the Monodeck II illustrates the absence of a true stalemate, but also a change in the way things will be done. There will be people who come up with different ways of doing somewhat similar things on their own. Various models will continue to emerge that will then be adopted into mass production. Also, the cutting edge is there now if you can afford it: Machinate is happy with his high-end elite Lemur :) as well he should be.

I've got a "thing" about using keys to launch clips-- keys should be used to play notes-- they are laid out to reflect constant musical pitches, I don't want to overly map them.

There is definitely a lack of reasonably priced, "well laid out easy to use as DAW interface" midi controller foot pedals.

I agree with hambone1 about the 'modular snap togethers', that's a great idea. Inexpensive circuit boards you can hook up with ribbon cables, snap together plastic boxes you can mount them in, boom.

I think the manufacturers aren't quite getting something: just like electric guitarists are happy to play with an assortment of pedals cabled together, electronic musicians will gladly play with assortments of modules cabled together. They seem to pay overmuch attention to packaging it into one attractive unit.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.