Disable Warp, please

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Pitch Black

Re: Disable Warp, please

Post by Pitch Black » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:07 am

thunderjaw wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:20 pm
Has anyone found a solution to this? I just want to live record, and everytime I need to cut/move a track (for example; if I record a track, but want to remove a few seconds from the beginning of the track, and then "slide" the track back to the beginning, it changes the tempo in the middle of the track).

Can someone tell me how to avoid this?
Select the Clip, or Clips, in the Arrangement View, then open the Clip View window and click the WARP button so that it is disabled (un-lit).

Live 10:

Live 11:

Now their timing won't change when you drag them around on the Arrange page.
MBP M1Max | MacOS 12.7.2 | Live 11.3.20 | Babyface Pro FS | Push 3 (tethered) | a whole other bunch of controllers
Ableton Certified Trainer
Soundcloud

inwardmovement

Post by inwardmovement » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:49 am

+1

rdan76

Post by rdan76 » Sun Mar 05, 2023 5:00 am

I suspect that most people on this thread do know how to disable warp on individually-recorded tracks. I think, for most of us who are complaining, the problem is that there's no option to have warp disabled, by default, for newly-recorded tracks. Not having an option for this creates a lot of extra fussing-around after tracks are recorded.

It's true that, by selecting multiple clips at once, it's easy enough to disable warp for all of them in one shot. Except, it's not "quite" that easy, because if you record a lot of clips during a single session -- or comp a part together -- you might remember to disable WARP on some of these clips immediately, but forget to do so on others. And then, when you select the lot of them afterwards to disable warp -- well, some of them already have WARP disabled, and so what Ableton wants to do by default, in this case, is to re-enable WARP on all clips. When doing that, it asks you whether you want to keep the current timing of clips or create new markers, and it asks you this question for every single clip which doesn't currently have WARP enabled -- so you might have to answer that question 10 times or more. And then you have to click the WARP option again on all the selected clips to finally disable it for all of them. Which works, but it's a bit of a mess.

Confusing this matter is the fact that, in Prefs, there are a couple of options which might "seem" to offer the option to disable warping by default. Under the Warp/Fades options, there's an option for "Unwarped One Shots" and an option for disabling auto-warp on long samples. But neither of these options actually disables auto-warp for newly recorded tracks.

This honestly isn't a DAW-breaking flaw -- I've learned to work around it, even as I grumble -- but it's a flaw nonetheless, and something which could be meaningfully addressed with the addition of a simple option in prefs to disable WARP for newly-recorded tracks.

A side-note: I've noticed several others opining that having a clip warped doesn't change its sound. I strongly beg to differ -- although I'll admit that, in most cases, the difference is small, and usually rhythmic in nature -- a transient in a bassline might get mussed-up as the program tries to snap it to the beat, or a syllable in a vocal might get fudged in a weird way.

Where auto-warp really causes problems is when you try to record a single source with two or more microphones. I very commonly use 2 mics on a guitar-amp, and generally I take great care to match the phase of those mics as I set them up. However, I've noticed an odd phenomenon within Live, where the program will auto-warp the two mic'ed signals differently. The differences between the two signals will be slight, but this causes audible changes the phase-relationship between the two tracks. Until Warp is disabled for both tracks, the tone of the guitar will seem to shift unpredictably throughout the song, because of the phase-differences introduced by Warp.

I notice this phenomenon every time I record a guitar with two mics. And it's easy enough to fix; I just disable Warp, and the problem is resolved. But still, having the option to disable warp by default, for newly-recorded tracks, would do wonders to smoothe-out the workflow.

ekiekitabaang

Post by ekiekitabaang » Sat Mar 18, 2023 9:09 pm

I think this is really a flaw in the software, after all there is a tempo follower In Ableton Live 11. How this has anything to do with the issue here?

Although this is just my user story, I think I'm not alone here. I've seen this scenario in the educational videos of Ableton Live too.

In our performance set, the kick drum mic, is routed to the tempo follower changing the tempo on the fly. This is cool feature as this would enable all the launched clips, delay effects etc. to be in sync with the drummers tempo. It's also working cause the tempo follower is actually working very well... but not really when you would like to record these live performances, mix and release them too.
1. It's really a bummer to remember click through all the recordings and unwarp them after the recording. It creates a horrible workflow!
2. I've noticed a lot of crackle and other sound quality problems when doing this. I'm just guessing that this happens because Ableton Live 11 tries to warp the recorded tracks on the fly.

So in this scenario it would be crucial to be able to record without warping. + It would just support a scenario that is marketed as a feature of Live 11.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Tue Mar 21, 2023 10:57 pm

83db wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:23 pm
Sorry to dredge up an oldie, but I found this thread when searching.

I frequently record numerous tracks simultaneously (5 drum mics, bass, two guitars, occasionally vocals), so there are sometimes 8 or 9 armed tracks. We will play to a click sometimes but not always (genre dependent).

It is annoying to manually disarm warp for every track every time we record. I'm on Live 10...any was to disable this default on 10 or 11? I've disabled everything related to warping in the preference menu.
I agree there should be an option for newly recorded tracks (as some users dont use Warping at all or might prefer alternative means).

One workaround that might be possible is to select all clips and I believe you might be able to turn off warping on all (bummer if not possible). There also might be an M4L device that could create a global Warp toggle (or solves the problem completely). But yes I would agree it still would be kludgy to turn off Warping everytime you record something (although leaving Warping on hasn't caused any problems for me).

jmljunior

Post by jmljunior » Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:49 pm

In the meantime, set the default warp mode to "repitch". As long as the newly recorded clip tempo matches the song tempo (it will by default) and you don't manually warp the clip any, it won't be affected by warp being ON.

If you think the samples are affected because you can "hear it", that's a you thing, but personally I'd do an experiment to verify that it's not just in my head. Other people have, and the conclusion is that doesn't affect anything with warp being ON in this way. If you think about it logically and understand how warp works, then it makes sense that it wouldn't affect the clip. "Repitch" couldn't possibly affect transients without any added and manipulated warp markers.

bravedog

Post by bravedog » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:41 pm

Strongly agree, please add 'Apply Warping to All Newly Recorded Clips' on/off checkbox in Preferences