HELP WITH SET-UP...IM A TOTAL N00B! xD

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
guidold

HELP WITH SET-UP...IM A TOTAL N00B! xD

Post by guidold » Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:46 am

Hey, apparently this forum is full of people who know a lot about audio hardware and that kind of stuff. It would be really useful for me if you could give me some advice on what audio hardware I should get...

I am getting a Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop soon (I already ordered it) with the following main specs:
Intel Core 2 Duo 1,66 Ghz processor
2 Gigs RAM @ 667 Mhz
Integrated Intel GMA950 graphics
60GB 5400RPM hard drive
Windows Vista Home Premium

What I am wondering now is what to buy next. I am a bit confused, as I am really new to the world of audio hardware. I am currently recording my songs using the direct Line-in of my integrated HD Audio soundcard on my desktop PC, using ASIO4ALL drivers!

My goal is to to record and produce my tracks at home (it would be nice to be able to record both guitar and vocals at the same time, something that I currently cannot do), and also record my band when we get together for a jam session. Apart from me singing and playing guitar, my band includes a drummer, a bass player that also does backup vocals, another guitarist, and a keyboard player.

I would also like to be able to use my Laptop as a live guitar effects processor, using Guitar Rig 2. I was interested in the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller.

Could anyone spare some tips on what Firewire or USB2 interface I should buy? I am kind of short on cash, and I'm not looking for a really flashy and expensive one...just one that fits my needs...

Oh, I almost forgot, I also have an old Roland XP-10 synth that I use with Reason 3 and Kontakt 2. So I guess the audio interface would need MIDI in/out..

What else would I need for my set-up?

Haha, I'm sorry for asking so many questions, but I am pretty new at this. Hopefully I'll get wiser with your help and advice! :)

Thanks in advance!