laptop stolen

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tricil

laptop stolen

Post by tricil » Thu Mar 29, 2007 6:40 am

please ignore my signature

methinks it's time to go to the darkside
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

blank

Post by blank » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 am

Oh Damn

I feel so sorry for you.

I fit happens to me, I will run across the whole town to find this cunt.

I did a phone home on mine. On internet connection lauch he call my computer at home and send his connection infos ( ip ect)

That way I have more chance to find the cock who have it.

so sorry again

This is so sad

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:34 am

damn...that must really suck

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:35 am

can you tell us how it happened so we can at least try and avoid situations like that ?

at least someone may learn from your misfortune.

sorry to hear that mate.

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Thu Mar 29, 2007 11:38 am

could you please give me your password?

errrrr, sorry about the lame joke.
i really feel for you.
how did that happen?
did you have backup of your data?

tricil

Post by tricil » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:16 pm

NO BACKUPS (i am retarded)

it happened in my cookie cutter suburban neighborhood in bright daylight (i was at the dentist)

used the credit card trick on the back door, looked thru the whole house (rummaged everywhere) and the only thing missing was my fucking laptop.

you can keep it, just give me back C:/audio and M:/ drives please.

all my serials were on it too, no hard copies of anything =(
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Thu Mar 29, 2007 9:21 pm

blank wrote: I did a phone home on mine. On internet connection lauch he call my computer at home and send his connection infos ( ip ect)
kool, tell us how you set something like that up ...
spreader of butter

forge

Post by forge » Thu Mar 29, 2007 10:18 pm

b0unce wrote:
blank wrote: I did a phone home on mine. On internet connection lauch he call my computer at home and send his connection infos ( ip ect)
just get insurance, fuck being pissed off about shit like that, (well, admittedly them being in your house sucks) but my mrs. just got a brand new macbook on insurance because her crappy old Pismo PB got a power surge from the last storm

I kinda wish someone would nick mine

but you just have to backup - that is the Law - especially on portables

blank

Post by blank » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 am

b0unce wrote:
K, there is many way to achieve this but firstly I have to tell that my case is good for that cause I work for places with some big computer related security concern and I also have internet via a cell phone connection all the time so I takes big benefits of the gps locations possibilities. Cost related to all this are not assumed by myself, and it's pretty ok that way :)

But, you can achieve this in a pretty simple way, with just a bit of reading about how mapping a drive over a simple vpn connection.

Just be sure that windows ( or even your mac) connect to this on launch.

Once its done, everytime your machine will connect the internet, the drive will be mapped, the ip will be logged.

Most of vpn devices ( also the home consumers one) allow events sending via email, so you no need to break your ass getting the log, you will have the ip in your mailboxes or even in your cellphone once your laptop is opened.

Assuming the netuse command in windows is able to map an internet drive( not sure here, dos is far a bit), you can simply do a batch file that do this at startup silently.

This method is not failsafe and needs your stolen laptop to be being plugged over the web before its being format but it's better than have nothing. Also, once you have the ip, trace it fast, find the isp and contact the police asap, if the ip is not located in a public place, you'll have good chances to get your laptop back.

you can change the boot sequence and put the cd as the 4th boot devices, Set the beos to have a modification password but not a login one and keep the f12 function to boot from another devices disabled. That way i'm pretty sure the guy will reach the windows boot sequence.

As you can see i'm a bit paranoiac :)

I tried to popularize a bit, if anyone needs help achieving a thing like this, just pm me, I assume there is other peeps on the forum that can suggest some other method.

I know you can also add a gps chip inside your laptop, I have a friend with this, powered by the laptop battery, even if its off you can locate it. pretty efficient. Cost a bit more but your stuff is protected.

Anyway I shut up

best

blank

Post by blank » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:22 am

forge wrote: but you just have to backup - that is the Law - especially on portables
I totally agree, with good insurances it's pretty painfree.

and if you keep sensible data, put it in a truecrypt cab to avoid the fucker getting something important.

Shoma

Post by Shoma » Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:51 am

kensington locks any1?

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Fri Mar 30, 2007 3:12 am

sounds to me like it was someone that knew you, go in the back door while you're away and take only the laptop. they probably watched you make beats last weak and thought "oh damn, I wanna do that. luckily I have no scrooples"

watch... in 2 weeks your friend is gonna say "dude, I got into making beats. check this out (boom chick boom boom boom chick da da da boom chick)" and you're gonna think "what the hell... that looks alot like my computer."
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Architect

Post by Architect » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:16 am

Damn sorry for your lost of equipment I would be pissed off too. I keep most of my important stuff backed up on an external usb drive. Another good tip is to encrypt your hard drive so the cocksuckas can't get any of your data (for the next time).
Dope Hip-Hop Production
http://www.myspace.com/infinitarchitect
Live 6.07/FL Studio 7 Producer Edition/Recycle/Battery 3/Kontakt 2/Motif ES6/Yamaha EX5/Akai MPC 2500/NI KORE Controller/2x Technic 1200s

tricil

Post by tricil » Fri Mar 30, 2007 4:37 am

Johnisfaster wrote:sounds to me like it was someone that knew you, go in the back door while you're away and take only the laptop. they probably watched you make beats last weak and thought "oh damn, I wanna do that. luckily I have no scrooples"

watch... in 2 weeks your friend is gonna say "dude, I got into making beats. check this out (boom chick boom boom boom chick da da da boom chick)" and you're gonna think "what the hell... that looks alot like my computer."
yeah it does seem very fishy... i mean they did rummage thru a lot of shit.... i'm just really not sure about any of this man.

i don't care why or how or what... i just wanna know WHO

i DO have insurance.
i will get something better (significantly..... darkside i'm looking at you)

anyways, here it is (was)