OT: Anyone here work out (exercise)?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
iamnotcool

OT: Anyone here work out (exercise)?

Post by iamnotcool » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:37 pm

I just finished up my first workout in a long time, following the advice from LL Cool J's workout book. I've gained about 35lbs in the last 2 years, so I figured now is the best time to start to take it off.

Anyone else here exercising regularly?
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:49 pm

Hey keep it up, you will soon make transformations in your health, life, music and psychology that you never knew existed. As our society is so seditary these days and diabetes/obesity are out of control. Quality of life is compermised.

Your body is a temple, give it 50% it will give back 75%, give 75% and the return will exceed 100%.

Exercise and music go hand in hand!
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:02 pm

I have been for about 4-5 years 3-5 x's a week... It will be tough for the first while trying to drag your ass out to work out but once you start seeing results you feel guilty if you don't go... I usually work out first thing in the AM since I work afternoons... It is hard to exercise when you feel tired so try doing it in the AM or on your lunch hour with the other's at the gym...
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

corygilbert

Post by corygilbert » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:06 pm

very good for you, helps you sleep better, eat better, drugs and alchohol (although they should be avoided, and it doesn't change the health risks) seem to have less of the lingering negative psychological effects. It also seems to tighten my concentration while working on music. And remember, you don't have to be a gym rat/ muscle-head to gain the benifits, throw some yoga in there if you can, good job getting started.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:11 pm

me and my fiancee are starting soon on some jane fonda tapes actually. kinda silly but I need to lose this belly and prevent my first heart attack for at least a few years.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:17 pm

I am in a similar situation. gained close to 35 pounds in the last 2.5 years and am now trying to take it off.

So far I've dropped 15 pounds, thanks to my rowing machine. But cardio will only get me so far. Still have 20 more pounds to go.

Tonight I start complementing the rowing with this great weights routine I used to do when I was in shape. Weights on mondays, wednesdays, and fridays. Cardio (rowing) on tuesdays and thursdays.

No more bullshit. Tired of being out of shape.

Johnisfaster

Re: OT: Anyone here work out (exercise)?

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:22 pm

iamnotcool wrote:I just finished up my first workout in a long time, following the advice from LL Cool J's workout book. I've gained about 35lbs in the last 2 years, so I figured now is the best time to start to take it off.

LL cool J wrote a workout book??? ha!
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:29 pm

Exercise is an essential part of healthy living, IMO. Good, regular exercise and healthy eating. I aim for 3 hour long sessions in the gym per week....15 minutes of cardio followed by 45 minutes of weight training. I believe the most important thing is to get aerobic exercise in at least 3x a week. For exercise to be aerobic it has to elevate your heart rate for at least 12 minutes, and involve the lower body as well.

Its pretty easy to get into the habit of exercise, if you want to. If you do it consistently for a few months, the payoffs in your health will probably be all the motivation you need to keep going. Exercise has got to be one of the 3 single best things you can do, period.

iamnotcool

Re: OT: Anyone here work out (exercise)?

Post by iamnotcool » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:49 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
iamnotcool wrote:I just finished up my first workout in a long time, following the advice from LL Cool J's workout book. I've gained about 35lbs in the last 2 years, so I figured now is the best time to start to take it off.

LL cool J wrote a workout book??? ha!
http://www.llcooljsplatinumbody.com/uof ... tinumbody/

i saw him on Jimmy Kimmel (spelling) a month or 2 ago, and he was practically bouncing off the walls because he had so much energy. He raved about his book the entire time and poked fun of Jimmy...it was a good segment.

Anyhow, the book is really motivating, and is loaded with recipes, motivation tips, workouts, and even full color photo demonstrations of all the exercises outlined in the workouts. Def. worth the $16
15" Macbook Pro C2D, Live 6, Remote Zero SL
Click here for my tunes!

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:16 pm

All the time. I run marathons, half-marathons, mountain bike, skateboard, and lift weights.

ethios4

Post by ethios4 » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:29 pm

Eating and exercise are intimately connected to acheive good health.

It was just occuring to me today how difficult it is to get the recommended daily intake of protein with a vegetarian diet. Any vegetarians here? I did some research, and exercising adults seem to require about 1g protein per kg of body weight per day. For me that means I should get about 80g protein a day. I figured up that my average protein intake (without the 35g protein shake I drink after the gym) is about 35-40g per day. How do you vegetarians deal with this kind of thing? Any good protein ideas?

BassTooth

Post by BassTooth » Mon Apr 09, 2007 11:59 pm

every morning i wake up and make sure i do situps and pushups and every 2 to 3 days i go to the park and run my ass off. then i come home, and shower. routine its definitely about routine and alot more.

but thats not gonna teach you shit about music. just about life.

aisling

Post by aisling » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:09 am

ethios4 wrote:Eating and exercise are intimately connected to acheive good health.

It was just occuring to me today how difficult it is to get the recommended daily intake of protein with a vegetarian diet. Any vegetarians here? I did some research, and exercising adults seem to require about 1g protein per kg of body weight per day. For me that means I should get about 80g protein a day. I figured up that my average protein intake (without the 35g protein shake I drink after the gym) is about 35-40g per day. How do you vegetarians deal with this kind of thing? Any good protein ideas?
While I am a responsible omnivore, and believe that the human diet requires some animal protein for both optimal bio absorption, as well as the mythology of the human species (our place in this symbiotic world.....Joseph Campbell)

What little physiology, embryology, biochemistry and endocrinology I have studied (2 years graduate level) indicates that the protein thing is primarily a myth. Most of us are consuming FAR to much. And it shows!!!!

It would seem that an organism needs the most protein durring the first "cycle" of life. In the case of a human that would mean about until age 11 when puberty hormones begin to set in.

That said and done as I stated, I am a responsible omnivore and consume animal products. I am glad your taking the time to do the research, keep it up, the answers will unlock the furhter you dive in.......
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

terragong

fresh air.....

Post by terragong » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:21 am

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Tue Apr 10, 2007 12:49 am

Japanese food pretty much every day, zero alcohol, yoga 4~ times/week, running 3 or 4 times/week, skate/longboarding, frisbee, hiking, snowboarding/shoeing, cycle everywhere, plenty of water....guess I like to be active.
Find what suits you and don't over-strain yourself, esp. at the gym. If it's weight you want to lose then lifestyle/diet changes are as important as exercise-you have to think where that weight came from. Try adding new, healthier things rather than simply denying yourself the things you think you shouldn't have.
Good luck.