NIN - Year Zero

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Abzurd

NIN - Year Zero

Post by Abzurd » Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:25 am

Year Zero is a masterpiece of elegantly sculpted noize. Trent has done an amazing job of creating a subliminally overt world which is to frighteningly close to our own for comfort. In my opinion it's the most tightly focused NIN record 2 date.

Anyway, in the CD's credits he thanks Ableton and I was wondering if anyone knows how he used Live in production of the new CD & on what songs. Maybe someone's read an article somewhere or something.

Thanks

ABZurd

(oh and everyone should call 866-445-6580. B A True American!)
HP Pavilion dv7 1.60GHz i7 Laptop, 4 gigs uh ram, 1.5TB external drive, M-Audio Ozonic.

timbrefire

Post by timbrefire » Thu Apr 19, 2007 9:02 pm

I had read in previous interviews that he used it mainly for time stretching samples - Ableton's original forte. He commented that it was a bit of an emotional moment when he saw Ableton do it for the first time, when he would spend hours trying to the same thing in the past. I read an recent interview where him and Atticus Ross sketched out a track and I believe they were working on a Pro Tools HD system - he was using NI Battery for drums and also lists Absynth as a current fav- but he did do the promo thing where you could download a Live Set and re-mix it., so maybe some tracks were actually cut using Live. Is the new record guitar or synth oriented?

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:43 am

Actually, Trent said himself he did the new album all mainly using Live in hotel rooms and backstage while on his past tours. There are even some pictures of him online where Live can be seen on the screen and/or on the doc.

There is a thread on this in the ETS forum:

http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/v ... hp?t=23185 (I posted some ways to play some parts, or at least get close to getting the same sound)

Listen to the track "The Good Soldier". Open up Live and play around with Impulse->Acoustic->Dirty Groove and you can hear the same sounds just tweaked a little. (especially the bass and first hi-hat) Also same config sounds like it has been used on the song "Reptile" on one of the radio live versions from couple months ago. (what Atticus Ross is playing)

radib

Re: NIN - Year Zero

Post by radib » Fri Apr 20, 2007 2:14 am

Abzurd wrote:In my opinion it's the most tightly focused NIN record 2 date.
bullshit.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:32 am

NIN is pretty much an auto-buy for me, even on bad days Reznor's still the cream of the crop IMO. Year Zero is not a bad album, not by a long shot, but I'm more impressed in the work going into the back story, all the different websites, the fake phone numbers, the "wiretap audio" and so on.

iLLuMiNaTiCa

Post by iLLuMiNaTiCa » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:41 am

They use Pro Tools mainly
Mainly a Mac based Logic Pro, Pro Tools and Live user.

iMac (intel)
MacBook (intel)
MacMini (PPC)
G4-450DP (PPC)

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 am

mcconaghy wrote:NIN is pretty much an auto-buy for me, even on bad days Reznor's still the cream of the crop IMO. Year Zero is not a bad album, not by a long shot, but I'm more impressed in the work going into the back story, all the different websites, the fake phone numbers, the "wiretap audio" and so on.
do tell

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:27 am

iLLuMiNaTiCa wrote:They use Pro Tools mainly
Yes, you are correct, but he first did most in Live for this record and then transfer to Pro Tools. Past records was mainly Logic and until recent records Logic and Pro Tools.

He probably did not use NI Massive since it was bearly released couple months ago but I found one of its patches similar to the noisy part in "My Violent Heart". Try ACIDSTAGE as the preset!

FYI: the cd is only $9.99 in most places this week and the ones from hot topic even come with a patch, plus you can get any nin shirt for an additional $9.99 Good Deal!!!

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:37 am

nuperspective wrote:
mcconaghy wrote:NIN is pretty much an auto-buy for me, even on bad days Reznor's still the cream of the crop IMO. Year Zero is not a bad album, not by a long shot, but I'm more impressed in the work going into the back story, all the different websites, the fake phone numbers, the "wiretap audio" and so on.
do tell
http://www.ninwiki.com/Main_Page - this site documents pretty much everything that's surfaced so far.

chrisedmo

Post by chrisedmo » Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:57 am

I love the great destroyer track.. wow. The verse and chorus guitar works really well with the beat and vocals, then you have those massively filtered drums in them middle... sounds insane..
Macbook 1.83ghz. Ableton Live 8 :-). Guitars and keys and retro sh*t.
http://www.myspace.com/banquetmusic

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:53 am

mcconaghy wrote:
nuperspective wrote:
do tell
http://www.ninwiki.com/Main_Page - this site documents pretty much everything that's surfaced so far.
thats fuckin great. now thats how you release an album

radib

Post by radib » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:32 pm

but its now all on a flat screen. the sounds are better than on with teeth, but the songs are too similar, there is no real tension or surprise, no real telling, just phrasing. maybe thats how it should be nowadays, but i don´t care. he seems so reactionary against the reactionary, but the step forward for every re or evolution comes from escapism, from really strange, outer worlds. thats where he or even it hasn´t been for a long time, maybe now spending too much time on bodybuilding and fighting against political figures which he forgot are just fakes in time. he should do more drugs again, the exploitive, high pressure kind. overdosed acid maybe. but that would be too much for a public person like he became. terrible life!

tacvbo83

Post by tacvbo83 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:39 pm

radib wrote:but its now all on a flat screen. the sounds are better than on with teeth, but the songs are too similar, there is no real tension or surprise, no real telling, just phrasing. maybe thats how it should be nowadays, but i don´t care. he seems so reactionary against the reactionary, but the step forward for every re or evolution comes from escapism, from really strange, outer worlds. thats where he or even it hasn´t been for a long time, maybe now spending too much time on bodybuilding and fighting against political figures which he forgot are just fakes in time. he should do more drugs again, the exploitive, high pressure kind. overdosed acid maybe. but that would be too much for a public person like he became. terrible life!
How about this. You take the drugs and listen to the album, that way you will love it and wont whine about it.

decoder

Post by decoder » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:09 pm

I have to say, on my first few listens, it's not bad. NIN stuff usually grows on me. Not anything radically different from With Teeth.

I think the lyrics are a tad cheesy at times, and... is that a xylophone on Good Soldier? :roll:

radib

Post by radib » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:43 pm

tacvbo83 wrote:
radib wrote:but its now all on a flat screen. the sounds are better than on with teeth, but the songs are too similar, there is no real tension or surprise, no real telling, just phrasing. maybe thats how it should be nowadays, but i don´t care. he seems so reactionary against the reactionary, but the step forward for every re or evolution comes from escapism, from really strange, outer worlds. thats where he or even it hasn´t been for a long time, maybe now spending too much time on bodybuilding and fighting against political figures which he forgot are just fakes in time. he should do more drugs again, the exploitive, high pressure kind. overdosed acid maybe. but that would be too much for a public person like he became. terrible life!
How about this. You take the drugs and listen to the album, that way you will love it and wont whine about it.

you didn´t get a shit honey. whoever does drugs is bored and annoyed by that crap. thats the point. its music for kids and hobby-politicians, not for the generating creative force in between.