clip gain

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dp

clip gain

Post by dp » Fri May 03, 2002 1:25 pm

another beginner's question:

i'd like to do a lot of sampling/playback on the fly with live, but it seems like everytime i record a clip, i have to then increase the gain on the playback clip. i'd like the default clip playback level to be similar to the input volume level. is there a way to fix this, or at least to automate this, so i dont have to manually increase the clip gain everytime?

im using a cheap soundblaster card right now, could that be my issue?

thanks,
dp

neepawa

Post by neepawa » Fri May 03, 2002 5:04 pm

That's weird, because I do the same thing, but can't notice any difference whatsoever. I have a 909 coming in on one track and monitor it by putting the track in "Record Enable" mode. I start recording by clicking the red dot beside a clip. To stop recording I just click in the same place (red arrow at this point). This actually immediately starts playing the newly recorded clip. It's seemless for me.

Lukas

Post by Lukas » Fri May 03, 2002 5:24 pm

Do you find thats there is latency? Is the loop atomaticly insych with the record source? What kind of audio device are you using? I get it to work, but I have to move the first warp marker over to the right to compensate for the latency. Which really slows me down during live sets. If I could just record and play with out adjusting it I would be a very happy person.

Luke

twelve

Post by twelve » Fri May 03, 2002 5:31 pm

this happens to me all the time, for some reason the volume recorded into live is always super low and always have to adjust the gain up a few notches. Is there a fix?

neepawa

Post by neepawa » Fri May 03, 2002 6:35 pm

Lukas.

Latency? I'm sure there's a bit, but it is imperceptible. I can literally record a loop and immediately start playing it without skipping a beat. Here are my steps...

1. Monitor live input of 909.
2. Hit record on one clip -- a RED arrow will flash indicating that it will start recording when the next clip quantize point comes.
3. While recording, click the solid RED arrow -- a GREEN arrow will flash indicating that it will start playing the new clip when the next clip quantize point comes.

My setup is a Powerbook G4 500Mhz, Motu 828, some Steinberg 2 port usb midi interface, and OS9. I use Live as the midi sync master and the 909 as the slave. I find that I need to set the clip quantisation to 1 bar if I want to reliably capture a whole number of bars (I usually set it to 1/8 for normal use).

dp

Post by dp » Fri May 03, 2002 10:18 pm

i dont have a problem with latency either. my recording procedure is identical to neepawa's-- the quantization set to a bar.

BUT, as twelve mentioned above, the volume of the clip recorded into live is very low.

help?!? anyone?!?