Presonus Firestation

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Would you like to see a full report on the PreSonus Firestation if I purchase it?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:28 pm

Yes
67%
No
33%

Total votes: 3

Moody

Presonus Firestation

Post by Moody » Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:28 pm

Anybody using a PreSonus Firestation with Live3 and Windows XP? What is your experiences with this gear and environment?

radiance

Post by radiance » Mon Feb 16, 2004 7:53 pm

Don't take the risk.
I was about to buy one a couple of weeks ago....
Not very expensive, very good hardware, but CRAP drivers. And I mean C R A P. You know how important drivers are, si if I were you I'd stay away from it...

Moody

Driver Version?

Post by Moody » Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:57 pm

What driver version were you running at the time of your testing? It looks like they have posted a version 1.1. Thank You for the feedback.

radiance

Post by radiance » Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:16 pm

1.1, winXP
Try to do some research on proaudio websites....
Maybe the drivers will work for you, then it s fine.
But if they don't....hum... :?

Moody

Post by Moody » Tue Feb 17, 2004 6:55 pm

Thank You for the info! I agree if I can get it to work it seem s to be an awesome device, otherwise hum... exactly. The nice thing is I am going to pick one up from Guitar Center here in town and they have a performance gurantee. So, if I can't get it to work in 30 days I can just take it back and get something else. Which, at this point I am not to sure what other direction I would go. I have been a long time MOTU user but there firewire interfaces, inparticular the 828mkii seems to have its fare share of problems as well. I am going to document my steps along the way and post my findings.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:06 pm

best option by far is the RME multiface--buy it and you will be very happy. Don't buy it, and you'll regret it someday....do the research yourself--lowerest latency, smaller, better AD/DA conversion and sound quality....

Ryan

radiance

Post by radiance » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:44 pm

If you have the money, the choice is pretty simple.
Mac -> MOTU
PC -> RME
If you're broke....M-Audio.
:)

gaspode

Hmmmm...

Post by gaspode » Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:50 pm

Well I've got a PC and a Motu 828 mkII, the RME multiface looks sweet, but the Motu supporsts a lot of different input/output formats and they are simultaneous :P... plus super low latency.

Post by Guest » Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:25 pm

RME does SPdif I/O, word clock I/O, ADAT sync, ADAT I/O and 8 balanced/unbalanced 1/4" I/O. The only thing you might be referring to is that the ADAT I/O is also the optical SPDIF I/O, but for most people, that's not a problem. And the RME, because it uses PCMCIA, is faster than the 828, and frees up your fw port for an external fw hardrive.

Ryan

jho

Post by jho » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:55 am

Anonymous wrote:RME does SPdif I/O, word clock I/O, ADAT sync, ADAT I/O and 8 balanced/unbalanced 1/4" I/O. The only thing you might be referring to is that the ADAT I/O is also the optical SPDIF I/O, but for most people, that's not a problem. And the RME, because it uses PCMCIA, is faster than the 828, and frees up your fw port for an external fw hardrive.

Ryan
I second Ryan's suggestion re: RME multiface. I suggest it over anything else mentioned in this thread, it's got the best converters (IMO) and is just loaded with features. But I'm a gearslut (You are too, right, Ryan????) so I demand the best ! :lol:
J.Ho

jho

Post by jho » Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:58 am

radiance wrote:If you have the money, the choice is pretty simple.
Mac -> MOTU
PC -> RME
If you're broke....M-Audio.
:)
hehe funny comment about the M-audio but so true. Not a bad box for the dough though.

But hey...the RME ROCKS on the MAC in OSX and smokes MOTU's quality in my experience.

JUST my .02, though!!! Not trying to start an I/O war here :mrgreen:
J.Ho

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 5:19 am

I prefer gear whore, I think I've taken it to that level. But seriously, when your throwing down serious duckets for the quality soundcard, a few extra bills for superior sound and ultimate lowest latency is important when you're doing serious recording and gigging.

Ryan

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:25 am

The RME has no mic input?
What is the latency of the RME?

Thanks.

Post by Guest » Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:16 am

I just see that m-audio has now an audiophile with firewire ... dont you think it can be good ?

any m-audio users here with XP and Live ?

seems like we all are in the same position .. hehe ;-)

thanks
bye

jho

Post by jho » Wed Feb 18, 2004 12:42 pm

No the RME "Multiface" doesn't have Mic Pre's built in....My goodness, where would they put it? They've already crammed so much into a 1/2 rack space!

I think the m-audio stuff , again, is a great buy for the money, but if you are going for the best then look at RME. I love the fact that it uses a PCIMIA card, 32 bit right on the CPU buss (or whatever) as opposed to having to go thru a port. The latency is lower because it's not taxing your CPU to deal with the I/O, plus there is DSP on the PCIMIA card itself. It comes with TotalMix, a hardware-based built-in mixer for all the I/O. The unit can operate stand-alone without a host application, which can be useful in some applications.
J.Ho