Midi controller not mapping corectly to ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Oscar Milde

Midi controller not mapping corectly to ableton

Post by Oscar Milde » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:36 pm

Hey all

I'm using a midi controller with ableton via USB, however the keys on the controller don't correlate to the piano roll in ableton. They are mapped in such a way that I get one full octave and two parts of the octaves either side of that.(see pic)Image
I can't figure out how i change it at all.

I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please.

Thanks very much

Edit - wasn't sure whether this should be in the bugs thread or not?? Sorry if I got it wrong.

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:36 pm

You can adjust how much of the piano roll you see in Live (zooming in and out) and also drag it up or down.

Oscar Milde

Post by Oscar Milde » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:27 pm

Hey- thanks, however this is to do with the keys on my midi controller not correlating to the notes on the piano roll, rather than not being able to see them, i.e - if i press what should be the F note i get a C note emanating from the VST. I kinda have to learn the chords I want again, but would rather not have to!
Thanks all the same.

ANyone?

Michael-SW

Post by Michael-SW » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:52 pm

Ooops, sorry. Saw the "fine print" in the photo now.

You haven't dropped a "Pitch" midi effect on that track?

What happens if you record a Midi clip - does that come out right? If so, it is the VST.

Otherwise, my best guess is that your midi controller is somehow screwed up. Either it has some strange offset programmed or it is plain broken. Can you do some sort of factory reset?

I belive I have the exact same keyboard and it works perfectly.

Oscar Milde

Post by Oscar Milde » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:21 pm

Hey thanks for getting back.

It happens like that with any VST or if I use ol' Cubase, though I'm pretty sure it can be fixed, hope so at least because I paid good money for this midi controller a while ago (out of guarantee) and it has always worked like this - also, kind hard to do some chords with the octaves messed up the way they are! Talk about pressing the octave button fast!

Thing is, it sounds in key, just the wrong buttons! I might get onto Evolution about it!

Thanks for your time.

TroyP

Post by TroyP » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:27 am

Is there a transpose feature turned on in the controller?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:13 am

the sticky labels C > A stuck onto keys F > E..
did you stick those on the wrong keys to illustrate the problem, or is that just wrong labling?

[edit] just read again - sorry, i get it now.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:10 pm

ok so..
no sorry, still dont get it really.
i might be stupid but yeh, could you elaborate a bit please?

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:20 pm

oscar, that keyboard has multiple midi map presets, doesnt it? maybe try another preset? or try resetting the keyboard to factory default (its done by holdong down 2 or 3 buttons at once if i remember - can't remember which ones tho..)

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:29 pm

another thing to check:

press “TRANSPOSE” (OCTAVE + and OCTAVE - together)
Check that it says '0'. use the +/- buttons if not.

SystemCell

Post by SystemCell » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:34 am

I had a similar problem with my Ozonic and then I decided to teach myself Midi CC and I also read the manual. =P

That and also an M-Audio tech is a friend of mine and gave it to me short and sweet.

Change your preset. Look up the manual for your device (I can't tell from the picture) and figure out what the presets are set up for. What it sounds like is that your keybed is zoned and your middle keys are sending to a different channel or not at all.

Zones are set up so that you can assign a range of your keybed to a different midi channel than the rest of the signals. What this allows for you to do would be things like have the left half of your keyboard play a VST you have loaded and the other half could trigger clips, or however you choose.

There a couple ways to remedy this. Find the "User Custom" preset and use that one. That will typically even out your keybed zones. Also you could change the midi input channel of that instrument from "All Inputs" and scroll through the channels until you find the one that works for your current controller setup. The final thing you could do to ensure that this is a zone issue is to activate all your zones on your device (turn on all 3).

This is the point where you pull out your manual for your controller (online is also a good place to find that) and read up on exactly how your controller assigns its midi channels/zones/commands.

eganglion

Keyboard zones on Ozonic

Post by eganglion » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:40 pm

Dividing your keyboard up into zones is a handy way to, for example, play a bass instrument with the left side of the keyboard, and a different instrument like a Rhodes or whatever with the rest of the keyboard.

If you are using Ozonic, download the free "Enigma" software from M-Audio and it will let you see exactly how your zones are set up. You can customize anyway you like, then save that set up for when you want quick access to that setup again. Handy tool.

If you are a visual learner, like me, you will find it much easier to grok.