Arctic temperatures

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
LKWILSON1414

Arctic temperatures

Post by LKWILSON1414 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:38 am

Hi All,

I have been using Reason for quite some time and recently added Live. I am having a terrible time figuring out and getting Live to stop freezing on me. Every time I try to add an extra track it freezes and I have to shut it down. I've tried the recommended stuff - adding more memory, upgrades, etc. with no luck and not much help from tech support. I'm just trying to do some basic recording and cannot figure how to get the damm program to work - any suggestions or reccomendations on an easier to understand audio program for my feeble brain to comprehend, thanks,

Laura

16 BIT

Re: Arctic temperatures

Post by 16 BIT » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:26 am

LKWILSON1414 wrote:Hi All,

I have been using Reason for quite some time and recently added Live. I am having a terrible time figuring out and getting Live to stop freezing on me. Every time I try to add an extra track it freezes and I have to shut it down. I've tried the recommended stuff - adding more memory, upgrades, etc. with no luck and not much help from tech support. I'm just trying to do some basic recording and cannot figure how to get the damm program to work - any suggestions or reccomendations on an easier to understand audio program for my feeble brain to comprehend, thanks,

Laura
Perhaps some info on your system would help. Is it a PC a mac, how much memory etc..

Just to be sure.

1. You should start Ableton Live first then Reason

Also is Live freezing when your not running Reason?

More info required to help

Cheers

LKWILSON1414

Post by LKWILSON1414 » Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:05 pm

Hi,

Thanks for responding. I am using a Mac running OS9 with 768 MB memory. Rewire is working fine. Live freezes with or without Reason running. When I try to add more than one track it freezes - regrardless of what the first track is(wave file, audio, reason). I ordered the Live book and have been rereading the manual, but can't seem to get this thing going. I've used Cakewalk for quite a while wihout any problems, but for some reason just can't seem to get Live figured out. I think because of it freezing all the time, I just haven't been able to play around with it enough. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Have a good day,

Laura

mic-minimal

Post by mic-minimal » Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:42 pm

so basicly what you're saying is that Live just won't work, it's not a rewire/ reason issue.

have you tried live on the machine that you're running cakewalk on and are there any problems with it on that machine?
have you tried reinstalling Live?
did you set the temporary recording folder in the live preffs?
did you set the vsti folder in the live preffs

what soundcard do you have
what midi controller are you using if you are using one?
and for petes babys mamas sake, what kind of music do you do?

LKWILSON1414

Post by LKWILSON1414 » Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:28 pm

Hi,

I am using a M-audio Quattro interface. I've tried reinstalling, adding more memory, etc. Cakewalk worked well for my PC, but the Mac just doesn't seem to like how I have Live set up. I haven't had any problems with Reason or any other program freezing - but Live does almost every time after I try and record any sort of second track. It does fine with 1 audio, 1 rewire, or 1 audio track - but at a second and it locks completely.

I am trying to finish up a second exercise CD for seniors - I know probably not your typical Live/Reason project. Most of the work is done in Reason, and I just need to record one measly track with vocal commands to finish the project. Very frustrating. Most of the music that I do otherwise is kind of bluesy pop. Thanks for your time,

Laura

audiosó

Post by audiosó » Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:14 pm

hi laura

i've been reading what u wrote, and i don't know why but i'm thinking that maybe when u're trying to record the second track u try to open another rewire link to reason via another live track... ie it could be that u are trying to open two streams at the same time.. maybe live doesn't work with that..

what I do when i record assets from reason to live via rewire is that i just open a rewire link on track1 of live and record for instance one bassdrum loop clip, then just below record the bassline clip.. after i just drag the clips horizontally and put them into the tracks i want in live...

i dunno, maybe it's not that at all...
goodluck

mlabs

quick note

Post by mlabs » Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:24 pm

When live freezes on me, it's ALWAYS because of the Quattro.

I don't know that this exercise translates to the mac, but here's how I know the Quattro is the culprit:

1) When live freezes, attempt to quit the application via the OS (in my case, task manager).

2) Typically this will take a number of seconds. During this time, turn off the quattro.

For me, live immediately exits and my whole system goes back to normal. It's worth a shot - if you can isolate the Quattro as the problem then you just keep reinstalling it until it works. Crappy advice, I know, but it's the only advice I've ever gotten... and it seems to work.

globalgoon

Post by globalgoon » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:35 pm

i use a quattro. sometimes it freezes if i turn the lights on/off in the studio, some kind of surge. i turn off the quattro, then turn it back on. then i go to the audio preferences and set the audio to internal card, then back to quattro and it's ok again.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:50 pm

so if it's possible try testing live with the onboard audio, instead of using the quatt, turn the m-audio off and disconnect it and try recording in live.
what happens then?

LKWILSON1414

Post by LKWILSON1414 » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:12 am

Thanks for the responses. I think the Quattro is probably the problem. Live runs fine with imported wave files, but now freezes up every time with audio in. I'm having my computer guru check it out because I'm still pretty new to this stuff and ready to pull my hair out. I'm going to read the Live 2 book while my computer is out of commission. I am dying to actually start using Live and get some work done. Cheers,

Laura