Linux + Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
PurpleHaze

Linux + Live?

Post by PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:52 pm

will live work on Linux?

philipc

Post by philipc » Fri Aug 03, 2007 3:43 pm

From threads i've read in the past it'll run but not well.

PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:42 pm

oh ok, so ableton not gonna make it more compatible with linux?

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:23 pm

Not a chance. Sorry.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:42 pm

sqook wrote:Not a chance. Sorry.
I wouldn't go that far. It's not going to happen this year or for this version, I don't think, but really I think it's inevitable.
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:52 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
I wouldn't go that far. It's not going to happen this year or for this version, I don't think, but really I think it's inevitable.
I really do hope your right, Live and a handfull of plugins are the only thing keeping me on Windows, I use Linux (ubuntu feisty) for practically everything else.

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:12 pm

noisetonepause wrote:
I do, and I'll give you one big reason why: support.

Ableton won't release an unsupported version of linux live.. it would be a disaster (and inevitably, end up with tons more people on this forum with problems), and would also be quite unprofessional. Likewise, releasing a supported version of live would require extra resourcres, beta testing, training, documentation, etc., for support staff.

That's not to mention additional development + pre-alpha testing costs that would be encountered either way.

So, when either approach will undoubtably cost the company a bunch of money, time, and resources, what benefit would a linux version bring the abes? A new platform to which will result in ~1% of live users (at a generous estimate). Also I would bet that the majority of these people will also be existing users looking for a speedier platform to run live on. This means, however, no (or very few) new revenue for the company... I would firmly estimate that only a small amount of people capable of fitting in a single bierhalle are out there thinking, "I would buy a license for live, if only it had linux support". Sorry, but these folks are usually happy to dual-boot, since live is worth the minor pains of having a windows partition.

..but, if you can round them all up for me in Berlin, I'll buy them a round. :)

Sorry; I don't mean to come off as so negative, nor to divert the topic of this thread... I simply wish to explain why such propositions seem so simple to the end users, who don't consider the cost/benefit risk that is involved for the company. I would like to see linux have a bigger marketshare and take a chunk of MS's pie, but after reading "Is this the year of linux on the desktop?" stories on /. since '99, I think that history speaks for itself..

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:21 pm

sqook wrote:I would like to see linux have a bigger marketshare and take a chunk of MS's pie, but after reading "Is this the year of linux on the desktop?" stories on /. since '99, I think that history speaks for itself..
I'm using Linux for my desktop right now, so are millions of other very happy users (including my mother!) so history is speaking. the only thing stopping it from going mainstream are stubborn software cartels like Adobe and misguided FUD spread over the net. This very point has been stated many times on /.

It's working just fine for me. Gobsmackingly so for everybody I know that's using it and that list is growing very rapidly.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:44 pm

I understand the issues working against the probability of Live on Linux

BUT DAMN I WOULD LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

I am going to avoid Vista on my personal machines at all costs.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

sqook

Post by sqook » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 pm

Martyn wrote:I'm using Linux for my desktop right now, so are millions of other very happy users (including my mother!) so history is speaking. the only thing stopping it from going mainstream are stubborn software cartels like Adobe and misguided FUD spread over the net. This very point has been stated many times on /.
I'll believe this when the terminal stops being on the quicklaunch of every mainstream window manager. Until then, linux will (and has always been) be the domain of hackers, tweakers, and tech enthusiasts, and anti-MS people... but not mainstream users.

Glad your mom likes it, though. My attempts to switch mine over were much less successful. At least she's a firefox user, though..

Dedbird

Post by Dedbird » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:46 pm

BinaryB wrote:I understand the issues working against the probability of Live on Linux

BUT DAMN I WOULD LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!

I am going to avoid Vista on my personal machines at all costs.
Me too, on both counts.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:49 pm

sqook wrote:
Glad your mom likes it, though. My attempts to switch mine over were much less successful. At least she's a firefox user, though..

:lol:

Slowly but surely the balance of power is shifting
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:55 pm

sqook wrote: Glad your mom likes it, though..
Yeah, me too. My brother and I bought her a bottom of the range Lenovo lappy for her birthday, we had no choice but to have Vista basic on it. the machine had 512 meg of ram, Vista takes 500meg just to get out of bed. This machine barely ran at all, after putting an extra 512 in it now functions at a usable level. I put Ubuntu Feisty on it so it's dual boot, she can use the net, do her emails, make postcards, download and edit pics from a camera, print them etc. It doesn't need an antivirus program, never scares her with "this machine is at risk from threats" dialoguges and it ABSOLUTELY FLIES!!!!

She has the choice when she boots the machine, I've not pressurised her to use either OS and guess which one she's using.

It's really interesting but not totally unexpected, a bit of a no brainer really. It's working.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:11 pm

sqook wrote:but after reading "Is this the year of linux on the desktop?" stories on /. since '99, I think that history speaks for itself..
Ehh, /. is bad for you:)

I understand what you're saying. I've been hearing these things since I started playing with Linux five-six years ago. Linux has been 'nearly there' for a very long time - but seriously: do you think that Dell so much as considered shipping computers with Linux pre-installed (and supported) five years ago? I very much doubt that they did. The last three years of Linux, Ubuntu and GNOME have seen solid progress on all the areas that matter: user friendliness, speed, supported hardware, mindshare etc. etc. It's now possible to both install, use and update a Linux system without touching a terminal, you can basically use Ubuntu like you would Windows. Was this possible five years ago? (I've never used Red Hat or Mandriva or any of that lot, so I don't know) It's a lot more familiar now to most people, I'm quite sure. I understand what you're saying, and I agree with it, but you'd have to be very, very cynical to see that the whole 'Linux on the desktop' idea is a lot more believable now than it was in 1999, and will be even more so as time goes on.

As for whether or not a Linux version of Live makes business sense for Ableton... Hm. Good point. The only thing I can say is that it seems to be me that a lot of musicians and studios who're fed up with Windows getting in the way and would like to move to Linux but don't because they don't know where to start and the applications don't exist yet. If Ableton moved there first and came up with a stable solution, they might be able to bag a few more users, but you're right. It'd probably be much more trouble than it was worth - although I'd recommend they keep something ready, just in case an alternative springs up and they start losing the users that are tired of dual booting...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

PurpleHaze

Post by PurpleHaze » Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:50 pm

so what DAW can work on Linux properly?