Syncing LIVE with LIVE from laptop to laptop

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
balzan

Syncing LIVE with LIVE from laptop to laptop

Post by balzan » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:05 am

We are going to play a live gig soon with the laptop ->laptop setup....was recommended by Ableton support to use M-Audio MIDISport as interfaces....

any other fresh ideas?

The ideal setup is that my partner dj and i can both play Live on our own laptops, synced via MIDI and play the entire 1hour and half session non-stop!

:-)

ps. can Live handle all our 12-13 tracks in one session window?

marzio

Post by marzio » Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:42 pm

i use two motu fastlane to do that.
it works like a charme (considering midi clock is not so accurate...)
i've been working with a UC33 to fastlane succesfully too.

The Hulk

Re: Syncing LIVE with LIVE from laptop to laptop

Post by The Hulk » Thu Mar 04, 2004 6:10 pm

balzan wrote:We are going to play a live gig soon with the laptop ->laptop setup....was recommended by Ableton support to use M-Audio MIDISport as interfaces....
is this possible? you would need more than just a Midisport on each computer. you'd need like a midi hub that you both plug into too i think. it will get expensive. I guess you could use One Laptop as Master Sync, out from MidiSport into an external synth device with Midi Thu, then from the Thru go back out to the Slave Laptop's Midisport.
The best, best songs are utterly forgettable.

proteron

Post by proteron » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:06 am

Why wouldn't he be able to just set up one live to send clock out a midi interface that's plugged into an input on the second, and choose external sync on the second? As long as there was no loop generated anywhere by some kind of software midi-thru from input B to output A, for example on a 2x2, this sounds like it would work fine.

2 midisport 2x2, 2 laptops, and two controllers would be dope.
--
chris (proteron)

balzan

Post by balzan » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:10 am

Proteron, i am new with the syncing stuff, could you pls explain? thanks :wink:

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:35 pm

we are doing exactly this for our live setup. 2 powerbooks, with an emagic mt4 on both, one sending sync, one receiving sync, on a seperate usb bus, we have a controller keyboard, and a midi fader box on the other machine. Works ok, although sometimes for no apparant reason, sync fails, or drops out completely, and we have to restart live to get it working again.. not a very 'live' solution.
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:56 pm

I've synced Live to another powerbook running reason before and it worked like a dream. We had to run click tracks on both machines and adjust the latency compensation on Ableton down to about -20 and it was dead on for the whole jam. We used his 2x2 and my quattro for midi.

dubslug

wow

Post by dubslug » Fri Mar 05, 2004 3:59 pm

i'm surprised it's so challenging for everyone... i run live on a powerbook with a tascam us-428 as the main midi controller (no audio on the usb), an oxygen 8 running into the tascam for controlling reason & ableton filters - run the master clock out of that machine to an hp pavillion laptop with an evolution uc33e, and they sync perfectly.

had to do a bit of latency compensation as smutek suggested, but that was it. i've used it live numerous times with no problems whatsoever.. no noticable drift at all.

Post by Guest » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:19 pm

syncing live to another laptop running live (or whatever other program) would be the same procedure as syncing to any piece of external gear, which isn't very difficult. set one up as the master, and the other as slave.

as was suggested, you will probably need to do some latency adjusting on either of the machines to get them to sync properly. but once that is set it will save the latency settings for the next time both of you start up - so you won't have to mess around with adjusting it again when setting up at your gig.