problem with magnify (zoom) tool : live 6 is so slow

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Matakao

problem with magnify (zoom) tool : live 6 is so slow

Post by Matakao » Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:24 am

I'm use Live 6.0.7 on PowerMac G5 duocore 2 ghz, 2,5 gig ram, and now when i zoom+ on
certain level, Live is very very slow... Work on the enveloppes are very difficult.
Please, fix it in the next update !! When is this update will be available ?
Has somebody this problem too ?

best regards.

Matakao

DefBringa

Post by DefBringa » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:29 pm

hello

i am experiencing the same problem...

when i am working in arrangement view and having audio channels expanded, so i can see the wave form and zooming in the whole program starts to react quite slowly and the way its displayed gets all stuttery until i zoom out again...

i think the same think happens when zooming into an audio clip in session view but it wont slow down the machine as drastically as cpmpared to arrangement view probably because only one track is being displayed...

i am doing a lot of audio recording in live, sometimes ending up with 60 channels of recored audio tracks that i edit directly in the track and need to zoom and out a lot, so this is getting quite annoying

also i was figuring this could be due to a peak in grafics performance that is required to display tracks being zoomed in...

any clues or any feedback from the ableton guys???

thanks

Matakao

Post by Matakao » Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:32 pm

Yes this big problem of magnify happens on some projects that contains many tracks and many clips in the arrangement windows, like mine.
It doesnt happens with others software (prootools or cubase).
So Ableton please give us one response. Thanx.

mobiledjs

Post by mobiledjs » Thu Aug 30, 2007 12:38 pm

I have recently experienced this problem. It is keeping me from using the program at all now. The problem started when I upgraded computers. It happens when I try to zoom in and out to adjust the warp markers in a wav form.

I am currently using the following:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2.4ghz
Asus p5B Deluxe
Sapphire x1650 Pro PCI-e 512mb (ATI Radeon)
2GB Kingston 667mhz Ram
Samsung Syncmaster 215TW DVI
Intel ICH8R Raid-1

This is the only program I am having any problems with. I have used an ATI brand x1650 AGP 8x in my previous computer without any problems or my laptop which also has an ATI mobile chip. I have enabled and disabled multicore support. I have tried the previous version 6.0.7. Even tried updating the drives and changing settings to no avail.

Since I use the warping feature quite often I need to zoom in quickly to adjust the markers. When this jerks and jumps around it makes it impossible for me to do anything. It happens when it starts to get fairly close then when you move back out.

I went through all the settings and found nothing that relates to graphics acceleration. The only thing I did different in the install process was not to install the m-audio lite 5/6 version first before the full version. I downloaded all the current live packs manually and installed 6.0.9 first. I have registered both operator and sampler. I need a solution to this problem ASAP!

mobiledjs

Post by mobiledjs » Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Went back to older system to compare performance on (ATI Radeon x1650 Pro 8X AGP). Tried versions 5.2 Lite, 6.0.5, & 6.0.7 which all experience this zoom problem to some degree but not as bad as my new system (Sapphire x1650 Pro 16X PCI-E). I have elminated that this is not a mouse related issue, or even intellipoint software (ipoint.exe 5.2-5.3 are the only stable versions that do not affect graphics). I tried using the latest drives as well as the NGO drivers. Every other piece of software performs flawlessly on my new machine. My laptop has an ATI Radeon Express 200M and does experience the problem, but to the least degree. This problem became more noticeable when moving to a faster system. There appears to be either a specific ATI issue or the Ableton Live program has a bottleneck in it's graphic performance somewhere.

Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

discocowboy

Post by discocowboy » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:05 pm

mobiledjs wrote:It happens when I try to zoom in and out to adjust the warp markers in a wav form.
i have the same problem with my mac
worse yet is that often ableton hangs up, and i have to force quit - losing any work i have done

i've done the recent upgrade

hope a solution comes up quick.

mobiledjs

Post by mobiledjs » Fri Sep 07, 2007 4:44 pm

I fixed the problem!!!!

Simply go to the Sample Box and click on RAM (next to Hi-Q/Fade)
Now it's smooth as glass.
I can zoom in and now out without a glitch.

jprost

RAM trick doesnt resolve it when using large files

Post by jprost » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:44 am

I have a session that has 8 45 minute tracks totaling over 4.5 gig's of data. Even with RAM turned on it is impossible to zoom in and out.

The idea that loading the samples into RAM resoves the zoom issue, seems to indicate that zooming requires refreshing the analysis data, which when in RAM is easier to access quickly, than from disc.

The idea makes some sense to me, because I've found Live 6 to manage disc access poorly relative to Live 5.2. Large multi-track, from disc sessions that worked jim-dandy in 5.2 struggle in Live 6.

Intel dual core with 2gig RAM and RAID 0 7200rpm data drive

j...
p4ht 2.8ghz 1.5mb windowsXPpro
live 5.02 / reason 3.0 / motu 24io

jprost

zoom workaround

Post by jprost » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:16 am

it appears that if you have the tracks closed they do not read from disc when zooming. therefore with large sets it appears possible to close the tracks zoom in and then open them to see where you are and perform line ups etc.

j...
p4ht 2.8ghz 1.5mb windowsXPpro
live 5.02 / reason 3.0 / motu 24io

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:12 am

sorry mates... noone except the abletons themselves can fix this problem...

its a performance issue that is so much discussed... you can find hundreds of posts describing this...

:cry: