RAM upgrade w/Live for G4TiBook867?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

RAM upgrade w/Live for G4TiBook867?

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:40 pm

hey- here is what i'm running with.

g4 pbook, titanium, 867, 256 ram. + motu 828mkii

Live is wonderful, but it is sort of shaky sometimes, and if i'm going to be using it seriously (i.e. commercially), I'd like a lot more stability, track counts, etc.

My question:

would a 1G ram upgrade help me out w/live's performance? If any of you know or have tried something like this I'd be much obliged if you could offer any help

best

drush

Post by drush » Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:05 pm

everything about your computer will run a lot better, including live.
it's almost surprising you can run anything w/ 256...

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 12:58 am

Sadly and this is by no means an anti-Mac post ......
Unless the Ableton team find a way to properly Altivec optimise LIVE for a Mac environment those track count's are not gonna skyrocket.
You will get hugely boosted performance from your system no doubt.
As much as I love the Mac platform for many exotic apps ie: Xx ,Numerology ,Pluggo etc etc the PC laptop market seems to fare much better with performance grunt & LIVE .
Check the earlier posts here about tweaking OSX for better performance.
Someone there got a 20-30% performance boost doing the tweaks provided in the PDF link.
That plus RAM would make a HUGE difference.
You are of cours using a Firewire AUDIO drive and not the internal laptop drive for LIVE I hope 8O :wink: .

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:20 am

Last edited by montrealbreaks on Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

sweetjesus

heyaa

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:15 am

heya man,

i'm the guy that was mentioned ealier on about getting the massive performance boost.

It's funny that was posted here as I also have an 867 with 256MB RAM and Live was pretty shakey for me until I ran those tweaks. Live does run shakey for me still as I need to sync it to another Live laptop but the PDF made it run stable without sync at least!

Thanks for posting this RAM question as it saved me having to ask it. I will deck out my G4 with another 512 stick as soon as I can afford it. I think it will help with the whole system in general!

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:59 pm

Thanks for the help. Yeah, i'll suck it up and get the ram...

although what is this OSX 'pdf' link? I'd try it, if it helps...

also, I am using the internal HD. Since I've got the motu w/only one firewire port on my PB, i don't think I can daisy-chain through the motu (?)

gaspode

Firewire

Post by gaspode » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:33 pm

Yeah, with the firewire spec you can daisy chain devices through your existing firewire, somewhat like you do with SCSI.

So you could do PB -> Motu -> HD -> Camcorder or something crazy like that if you wanted. The PB should find each device nicely regardless of any particular order.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 3:38 pm

does an external HD make THAT much of a performance differential, or is it just for the ease/safety of having all your audio in one spot like that? Also, I'm running 10.2 so I don't think that PDF think will work... I'm not quite that much of a mac pirate anyway.

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:33 pm

they do if they're 4200 or 5400rpm, but You can get 7200 laptop drives now (mine arrived this morning - 60GB cost £150 UK) I'm going to sell my external Hard drive now so I don't have to carry so many peripherals!! I can just backup to my desktop's int HD if necessary

drush

Post by drush » Tue Mar 09, 2004 5:34 pm

Anonymous wrote:does an external HD make THAT much of a performance differential, or is it just for the ease/safety of having all your audio in one spot like that? Also, I'm running 10.2 so I don't think that PDF think will work... I'm not quite that much of a mac pirate anyway.
the added speed and stability of 10.3 makes it worth getting...

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 09, 2004 6:19 pm

how much extra speed and stability can 10.3 have if people need to essentially manually disable the entire OS to run Live???

SweetJesus

Post by SweetJesus » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:09 am

A better way of looking at it may be that if you strip Jaguar (10.2) to its core and then strip Panther (10.3) to its core, Panther will be more speedier and stable.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:44 am

Anonymous wrote: although what is this OSX 'pdf' link? I'd try it, if it helps...
Any hints ?