Which Monitors?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Which Monitors?

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:01 pm

Hello.

I have got 400-500€ too much in bag;) so I want to buy some new monitors.
But which one..?

jeromepacman

monitors

Post by jeromepacman » Wed Mar 10, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi

check the Event TR5E actif. Very good for this price.

Try to buy active monitors instead of passive to get a better fidelity.

:)

stew

Post by stew » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:16 pm

Alesis Monitor One's can be had very cheap these days. Haven't used them myself yet, but heard good things about them.

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:46 pm

I'm still using Yamaha NS-10s and you still see them in pretty much every major studio (have a look for those black, sideways speakers with white cones next time you see some footage from a studio) - shame I don't have the massive genelec monsters to to go with them, but there you go.

The thing with NS-10s is, like they say, if they sound good on NS-10s they sound good on anything, it's because effectively they sound like shit because they are COMPLETELY FLAT. None of this fancy schmancy new fangled spiceing it up business, that has to come from YOUR music!

So as long as you constanly cross-reference with headphones, car eveywhere else you can get a good mix. I'm really happy with them.

Comes back to what Mbazzy and Guest were saying in the other thread about 'poor tools requiring better skills' well - it's the audio equivolent in a way - you know what you're listening to is whats there and no 'coloration' from the speakers.

You can then hear it on your home stereo to make it nice.

Other than that another vote for the Alesis monitor ones, their abit brighter and sweeter than the NS-10s and are good to listen to for a long time.

A friend has some great sounding active Tannoys as well (not sure the number - but look at websites like www.digitalvillage.co.uk or Turnkey - both UK based - but they'll give you an idea of the sorts of things to look for, digital village is usually pretty good with quality gear, find what you want then order it from www.Thomann.de as you'll probably get it cheapest there, but for browsing they have sso much you'll just get lost, but on Digital village they push certain selected good models - they seem to have quite a switched on buyer so their promo stock is usually quality for studios.

hat

Post by hat » Thu Mar 11, 2004 1:13 am

Alesis M1mk2 Actives. $399/pr (US)

Hands-down the best bang-for-the-buck monitors.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:45 am

I've got the KRK Rokits and i've been happy with those...also come in a pretty cool shape 8)

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:24 am

SOS reviewed the latest Tapco [ subbrand Mackie ] quite favourably.
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:35 pm

Thank you all.

I think I will buy the alesis mk2 (active). There is also a review @ sos com
and it seems that they are good stuff for the money. I also listened today to them in a shop ... but it was radio pop music ... not the music I am used to hear. So I will go there next week with my favorite CDs ....

I also heard good things about the Fostex PM. Does someone use them?

greetz :)

PS: If I got they money I would buy Genelcs. They SOUND GREAT!

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Mar 11, 2004 7:38 pm

I'm using Tannoy reveal actives, they're pretty good actives for the price. Check out beringer (is that how you spell it :? ) "truths", they get good reviews. heard GREAT things about the Genelecs though if you can afford it.

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 11, 2004 10:07 pm

mackie Hr 824 have compared favorably to genelecs in some reviews...and are cheaper (but out of original posters budget)

lepi

which monitors

Post by lepi » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:05 pm

One more vote for Tapcos S5 from personal experience.

I own them for a month now and they are great not only because they are very affordable but because they're deliver very fine/accurate sound for such a small units.

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:58 am

event 20/20's with the s250 sub. best price>performance available. you will get a very flat signal, and accurate representation of the lowest lows and highs. Best cost effective solution I've found to date.