effects default to off

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
forge

effects default to off

Post by forge » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:36 pm

My mate was doing a mix and I was trying to drag FX in on the fly and I dragged them to a return track first so that I could turn them off to get the settings right before bringing them into the mix

there needs to be a preferences setting or somethign where you can set it so the FX are off when you drag them in

serotoninsteve

Post by serotoninsteve » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:19 pm

It's already there,
try some modifier key when dragging them in.
While dragging it doesn't show a difference near the cursor,
like a + for copying,
but it works.
MBP 15,4" 2,53GHz C2D 4Gb late 2008 / Mac OS X.6.2 / Novation Remote 37SL Compact / TriggerFinger / FaderfoxDJ2 / Padkontrol / UC33 / SM Audio TB202 / Audiofire2 / Apogee Duet / Event OPAL's / HD25 /

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:33 pm

command + drag on Mac..

forge

Post by forge » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:02 pm

oh cool - I missed that one!

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:41 am

Perhaps you could go a stage further and suggest that you can have your own default settings for various plugins.

say you have an autofilter: if you want you should be able to set it to your "most used settings" and then right click or something and "set as default"

then everytime you drag that effect into live, it comes up with those settings.

that way you could have your defaults either turned off, or set to 100% dry as you drag them in.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:06 pm

scorb wrote:Perhaps you could go a stage further and suggest that you can have your own default settings for various plugins.

say you have an autofilter: if you want you should be able to set it to your "most used settings" and then right click or something and "set as default"

then everytime you drag that effect into live, it comes up with those settings.

that way you could have your defaults either turned off, or set to 100% dry as you drag them in.
yep - totally agree

but I guess Ableton's answer to all these requests could be "save a rack as a preset"

maybe I just have to stop being lazy and make up a bunch of preset racks

scorb

Post by scorb » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:04 pm

Hey Forge

hmm, after reading and trying out the rack tutorial on how to create dry wet controls for any plugins i just came to the same conclusion lol! ;)

i really need to make some useful racks too.

This issue would be covered by simply placing a live effect in a rack and saving it with 100% wet or bypass enabled.

Then, as you point out you need only drag these racks into your arrangement instead of the plugins themselves.

racks certainly allow you to do many things that hadn't occurred to me.

just lazy with them i guess hehe!

forge

Post by forge » Mon Sep 03, 2007 1:26 pm

scorb wrote: just lazy with them i guess hehe!
maybe not really lazy - the thing with Live is there are alot of ways you can work with it - alot of them different, many quite unconventional

so it's down to how you use Live

Hoffman2k will tell you all kinds of way out interesting uses for racks, while I've not used them to anything like their potential because I tend to do different things with Live

lately I have been using them more as a way of conveniently using automapping