New Plugin For Ableton! Lighting , in development

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ava

Post by ava » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:53 am

I've uploaded a video(link in my signature), it's a screen shot video of my work in action. comments would be great. :)

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:49 am

For you guys PMing me wanting to do lighting now (rather than waiting for vaporware that may never materialize), I'll write a tutorial on how simple lighting is to do with no programming skills, no plug-ins, only a MIDI>DMX interface and Live.

Moody

Post by Moody » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:13 am

hambone1 wrote:For you guys PMing me wanting to do lighting now (rather than waiting for vaporware that may never materialize), I'll write a tutorial on how simple lighting is to do with no programming skills, no plug-ins, only a MIDI>DMX interface and Live.
:D
Ableton’s engineers are hard
at work developing code that will allow our software to predict the future, but we don’t
anticipate having this available until at least the next major release.

tassock

Post by tassock » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:14 am

hambone1 wrote:For you guys PMing me wanting to do lighting now (rather than waiting for vaporware that may never materialize), I'll write a tutorial on how simple lighting is to do with no programming skills, no plug-ins, only a MIDI>DMX interface and Live.
Awesome! Looking forward to it.

ava

Post by ava » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:03 am

Make sure you tell them they need an awful half second audio delay :lol:

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:20 am

ava wrote:
Make sure you tell them they need an awful half second audio delay :lol:
I don't get why you're the one laughing.
Ever seen one of Hambone's sets? It makes my most complex set look like the work of a n00b. And it works. As opposed to your 3rd or 4th unreleased product.

ava

Post by ava » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:32 am

hoffman2k wrote:
My video says it all.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:40 am

ava wrote:
hoffman2k wrote:
My video says it all.
Could you elaborate? All I see is a major hazard for epileptics.

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 9:53 am

MIDI>DMX introduces a 125ms delay. It's minimal, and easy to compensate for by quantizing the lighting sequences and setting Live's track delay to -125ms. Some lighting fixtures, especially those with motors or incandescent lights, will have an inherent lag. These, too, can be compensated for with a negative track delay.

This will get your lighting precisely in sync with the music if you really want to. In my experience, it isn't even necessary.

Well-designed lighting, especially when choreographed with video, is a skill, and isn't necessarily gawdy random lights flashing all over the place, like some videos I've seen.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Mon Nov 03, 2008 11:41 am

If hes using an FFT for audio analysis - thats going to introduce an significant delay anyway.

Apart from stand alone fixtures doing their own sound to light thing occasionally - who the hell uses audio for driving lights - it too random. Even audio derived midi clocks tend to drift too much.

Way better just to properly sequence it if the end result matters to you, otherwise do what DJs do in most clubs - switch scenes on a controller occasionally to switch sound active modes between fixtures.
Nothing to see here - move along!

Stan_T

Post by Stan_T » Mon Nov 03, 2008 2:42 pm

ava wrote:
hoffman2k wrote: I don't get why you're the one laughing.
My video says it all.
It wouldn't hurt you to be a little more humble.

ava

Post by ava » Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:02 pm

Khazul wrote:If hes using an FFT for audio analysis - thats going to introduce an significant delay anyway.
Theres no delay, data is passed BEFORE it gets to your speakers.
Khazul wrote: Apart from stand alone fixtures doing their own sound to light thing occasionally - who the hell uses audio for driving lights - it too random. Even audio derived midi clocks tend to drift too much.
Audio to light works great, says when the sequances show, watch my video!
Works amasingly well with lasers too!!

Im the one with the product and i know what it can do. I also know what a limited midi>dmx adaptor can do too.

I know I can do more in 5 minutes than a midi>dmx adaptor can do in 5 hours.

Stan_T

Post by Stan_T » Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:30 pm

ava wrote:I know I can do more in 5 minutes than a midi>dmx adaptor can do in 5 hours.
You and who else?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:22 pm

MIDI>DMX does admittedly have its limitations. It requires sequencing skill and talent to make the best of it. I enjoy designing and creating the sequences, and 'playing' the video and lighting in Live. It gives me something to do while the music plays!

And, unlike vaporware, MIDI>DMX is a real solution that's available right now.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:06 pm

hambone1 wrote:MIDI>DMX does admittedly have its limitations. It requires sequencing skill and talent to make the best of it. I enjoy designing and creating the sequences, and 'playing' the video and lighting in Live. It gives me something to do while the music plays!

And, unlike vaporware, MIDI>DMX is a real solution that's available right now.
and don't forget that there are multiple other solutions in play, too - some of us have been using pure dmx outputs from our computers for years now.

Computer->DMX solutions is something we do well at Covops, but at present no generalized applications have been made.

a.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.