X-SESSION BUNDLE QUESTION

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
btswrkng

X-SESSION BUNDLE QUESTION

Post by btswrkng » Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:39 pm

I ordered the Live 3.0 / X-Session bundle.

Included on the X-Session installer CD-ROM is LiveXS 2.1

Where is LiveXS 3? Or, how do I make Live 3 work with X-Session the way LiveXS does?

I do not plan to keep two versions of Live installed and switch between them whenever I want to use this controller.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:00 pm

Hi btswrkng,

sorry but I understand the question. Live XS is an OEM version that comes with several Audio/MIDI hardware. So Live XS is a limited version of Live's full version and has much less abilities.

What has Live XS you are missing in Live 3?

regards,
Alex

btswrkng

Post by btswrkng » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:13 pm

First of all, please understand that I've only gotten as far as opening the box and starting to install the software before realizing that I was installing two different versions of live.

As far as what LiveXS has that Live3 may be lacking, I'm assuming that LiveXS is all set up and MIDI-mapped to work with the X-Session out of the box. Does Live3 have a "template" for X-Session? Is there a way to import the settings from LiveXS?

Thanks.

Alex

Post by Alex » Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:22 pm

Hi btswrkng,

there is nothing hard coded in the Live XS version concerning MIDI map mode. The way to setup the MIDI mapping is in Live XS the same as in Live 3. So each template song you can load in Live XS you can also load in Live 3 but not in reverse. Beside that a template for Live XS can only work within the limitations of Live XS (less tracks, scenes, effects,...)

I would assume you're faster and get your personal mapping if you would make your own template in Live 3.

regards,
Alex

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:29 am

Hi Alex,

Could you tell us the specific limitations in the XS edition of Live compared to the latest, full version of Live?

Thanks,

Robb

More information needed.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 3:17 pm

Also, please refer me to documentation of exactly which controls on the X-Session are mapped to which functions in LiveXS so that I can decide what to use when making my own mappings in Live3. Where can I find this information?

I still say you should make some kind of template for X-Session available for Live3. Sure, it might be faster for an experienced user to do their own mappings, but I AM JUST LEARNING LIVE and therefore would have NO IDEA WHERE TO BEGIN mapping Live3 functions to X-Session controls. And I don't feel like I should have to divide my learning time between getting to know Live3 and having to figure out what you've mapped to the X-Session controls in LiveXS in order to use the X-Session with Live3.

When I bought this bundle, I thought I was buying the two products READY TO USE TOGETHER. Needless to say, I am disappointed both with what I got in the bundle and with your responses so far to my concerns in this forum.

Post by Guest » Sun Mar 28, 2004 6:04 pm

Click on the midi button and move a knob on your controller. It's that easy to map. If you're too lazy to do that then that's your problem.

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 29, 2004 10:50 pm

Hi robbmasters,

here are a list of limitations in Live XS.

Live XS limitations:
-------------------------------
- No ReWire master
- No ReWire slave
- Only stereo in and out
- Maximal 6 play tracks
- Maximal 1 send track
- Maximal 12 scenes
- No Recording
- No Render to disk
- No metronome
- No MIDI sync
- No Arranger editing
- No Tap Tempo
- No tempo automation
- Only Chorus, Eq4 and Ping Pong Delay
- No VST support

regards,
Alex

Alex

Post by Alex » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:13 pm

Hi btswrkng,
Also, please refer me to documentation of exactly which controls on the X-Session are mapped to which functions in LiveXS so that I can decide what to use when making my own mappings in Live3. Where can I find this information?
Sorry but I do not understand this question. Nothing of the X-Session is mapped to Live XS unless you are doing it or loading a song where it is already done. If you have a song in Live XS with your desired MIDI mapping you can load this song in Live 3 too.
In the Live XS and the Live 3 manual is a section about the MIDI Mapping called "MIDI-mapping Mixer and Effect Controls".

Needless to say, I am disappointed both with what I got in the bundle and with your responses so far to my concerns in this forum.
Sorry to hear that but I tried to anwser your question as good as I can. If I missed something or was to unclear please ask again.

regards,
Alex

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:37 pm

Alex wrote:Hi robbmasters,

here are a list of limitations in Live XS.
Thanks. :D

stew

Post by stew » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:08 pm

Alex wrote:Sorry but I do not understand this question. Nothing of the X-Session is mapped to Live XS unless you are doing it or loading a song where it is already done. If you have a song in Live XS with your desired MIDI mapping you can load this song in Live 3 too.
I think there comes a demo song with Live XS that includes a mapping to the XSession controls. You should be able to open that in Live 3 without any problems, I guess. (though I didn't try - I removed Live XS from my HD after figuring out that it does nothing that my Live 3 wouldn't do).