Problem with importing old projects

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
EnochJ

Problem with importing old projects

Post by EnochJ » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:43 pm

I recently tried to import some old projects from Live 4.1, and I've noticed a curious thing: in a couple of them, the tempos no longer match up right. When I made them, I had to adjust for latency (I use a Lexicon Alpha USB interface), pulling each recorded sample back a few tics to line it up with the beats. Now, nothing is lined up with anything else. Attempting to fix this problem by dragging them around has generally made it worse.

What is this more likely to be the outcome of, my computer being too slow (AMD Ath64 HT 2.8ghz, 1gb RAM), some difference between the way 4.1 and 6 handle clips (Device Delay Compensation, for example), or other possible culprits?

Any clarity y'all could impart would be greatly appreciated.

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:32 am

Hello,

One thing was added in version 5 that could very much be the source of your problem: Plugin Delay Compensation. It is found in the Options menu, names "Delay Compensation". You should turn it OFF to get the same result as in Live 4.

What the feature does is it makes sure that all tracks stay in sync, so compensate for the delay introduced by plugins.

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team

scorb

Post by scorb » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:19 pm

Hey Amaury

I think you'll find that this won't work!

Something fundamental changed when pdc was introduced. When ever i tried to load up Live 4.x files they automatically loaded up with pdc turned off. However they would be ALL OVER THE PLACE as far as timing is concerned. turning pdc on would just make them out of time in a slightly different way.

Clearly Live.4.x compromised audio quality or something to allow plug in delay to have a minimal impact.

I repeat, loading a 4.x live file into live 5.x or later (even with pdc turned off) will not play back correctly.

A shame but pdc is needed so you'll have to realign your old project or remove/flatten plugins. ;)

Amaury

Post by Amaury » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:19 am

Hi,

mmm.. sounds strange.. There's one more thing that was introduced in Live 5: you can determine the plugin buffer size, in the Plugin Tab of the Preferences. In Live 5, you should set it to "as audio buffer", and of course, use the same size for the audio buffer as you used in Live 4.

If this is not solving the issue, what do you use in the set? You could send me the set at amaury@ableton.com, so I can have a look into it.

As far as I know, there was no "compromised audio quality or something to allow plug in delay to have a minimal impact" in Live 4...

Regards,
Amaury
Ableton Product Team