What hardware do most DJs choose for audio interfacing

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
wovencord

What hardware do most DJs choose for audio interfacing

Post by wovencord » Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:29 pm

I am trying to find an audio interface that will allow me to cue music while other music is playing (you know, basic DJ techniques) and be able to cross fade it in afterwards using Live's crossfader.

What I want is a way to send a track to the master and an aux send so I can cue the track in the aux send without it being affected by the master crossfader. Then when I am ready I can cross fade it in, which would then let me cue the other tracks that were faded out. If this sounds confusing, I apologize. I am new to this stuff.

I basically want to use the crossfader to mute a group of tracks, while another group is playing, so I can que the first group. Therefore going back and forth like this between groups.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Mar 23, 2004 4:58 pm

any controller with a Knob or Fader can do this. Set the DRY signal to A nad the Sends to B...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:55 am

I'm assuming your using a laptop.... From what I have read the Echo Indigo DJ PCMCIA card is perfect for this ... 2 stereo outs one for mains one for cans... Only drawback no audio in.

smutek

Post by smutek » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:00 am

I'm using the Maudio quattro. 2 ins and 2 outs running to a pioneer mixer.

arar

Post by arar » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:03 pm

I use the echo indigo dj.

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue May 04, 2004 3:10 pm

Does anyone here use the M-Audio Transit? The Echo Indigo DJ is interesting, but I don't really see the need for the 8 virtual "outputs." Besides that, the Transit is 80 bucks less.

The reason I'm questionable about which one I want, though, is the ability to audition loops or samples with the Transit - it doesn't have a second analog output like the Indigo does. As I'm sure you all know, in the Routing section of the Audio tab in Live's prefs, there are separate sections to assign hardware for master output and pre-listening. The decision between these two soundcards is this: can I assign different hardware for each of these functions (main mix through the Transit, pre-listening through my PowerBook's built-in hardware)?

Any help or insight is appreciated.

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue May 04, 2004 8:54 pm

if you've only got one stereo analog output, you can forget about cueing. i've got the Indigo DJ and it will do that perfectly. i haven't messed with the virtual outs at all and may never will - i only got it because 1) echo is reliable and 2) it cues.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Rich

Post by Rich » Tue May 04, 2004 9:49 pm

Rx wrote:if you've only got one stereo analog output, you can forget about cueing. i've got the Indigo DJ and it will do that perfectly. i haven't messed with the virtual outs at all and may never will - i only got it because 1) echo is reliable and 2) it cues.
What I want to know is if it's possible to use separate hardware for the main mix and pre-listening - the Transit for the main and the PowerBook's stereo out for headphones.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Tue May 04, 2004 10:28 pm

Rich wrote:What I want to know is if it's possible to use separate hardware for the main mix and pre-listening - the Transit for the main and the PowerBook's stereo out for headphones.
Ableton claim you cannot use two audio interfaces. However, this isn't entirely true (under Windows XP anyway - no idea if the same is true for a Mac) but latency will suffer, and if your two interfaces have different latencies trying to cue accurately (e.g. beatmatch) could be interesting....

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue May 04, 2004 10:29 pm

dunno for sure, but i do believe it has been convered here in the forums somewhere. my guess is that only one audio device can be used, which is why anything that is reliable and can cue has been extremely well received.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu May 06, 2004 2:49 pm

I went and checked out the Transit at the local music store, and, though they didn't have one on display for demos, the sales guy was very helpful (surprising - I never expect to be helped satisfactorily at these big chain stores) and we discovered that you can only use one audio interface at a time with Live. I should have noticed this before but if you check out the Audio tab in the Live prefs, the Device Type menu selects which device driver
will be used - and you can only choose one at a time.

I just thought of something, though... What if your two pieces of hardware use the same driver (ASIO, for instance)? Of course this doesn't apply to what I want to do with the Transit and the PowerBook's built-in hardware, but it would be interesting to find out if it would work.

Next question... The Transit has 1 stereo analog output and 1 digital optical output. I could use the analog out for cueing and the digital out for the main mix (or at least that seems logical to me). The problem with that would be that I don't think there are many (if any) venues who will take an optical signal for the house mix. The question is, then, what is the easiest way to convert the digital optical signal to analog? I know this will cost me another pile of cash, but it's a viable option if the total cost is still less than the next higher tier (price-wise) of audio interfaces.

robbmasters

Post by robbmasters » Thu May 06, 2004 3:04 pm

Rich wrote:The Transit has 1 stereo analog output and 1 digital optical output. I could use the analog out for cueing and the digital out for the main mix (or at least that seems logical to me).
Don't they both just get the same signal? Are you sure you can address them independently? I'd be very surprised if you could.

Rich

Post by Rich » Thu May 06, 2004 5:18 pm

robbmasters wrote:
Rich wrote:The Transit has 1 stereo analog output and 1 digital optical output. I could use the analog out for cueing and the digital out for the main mix (or at least that seems logical to me).
Don't they both just get the same signal? Are you sure you can address them independently? I'd be very surprised if you could.
That's a good question that I hadn't thought of. I'd be disappointed if the two outputs (analog and digital) couldn't be treated separately. Normally I would assume that they could but now that I think about it, the fact that the outputs are two different formats kind of leads me to believe that one is just a mirror of the other. I guess I'll go back to the store and ask some more questions.