Crazy BT VST?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ducktail

Post by ducktail » Sun Mar 28, 2004 11:24 pm

What's VBox?

Ducktail

Post by Guest » Mon Mar 29, 2004 11:18 am

I don't want this to turn into a Bt bashing fest so I'm saying that up front.
I would like to know, because I do a totally different kind of music than his
whenever I hear about him, I hear about stuttering, is that some type of fascinating thing within his type of music genre? what I'm getting at is, it is just stuttering right? or is it that it is the most popular efxt right now?
I find music with stuttering constantly in every song to be annoying. I watched the m-audio clip and I thought imho that he did nothing for the earth wind and fire song, I didn't think that what he did went with the music and from what he was telling the crowd I got the feeling that he was under the impression that he was mixing the earth wind and fire track but I think clearly he wasn't. The earth wind fire track just seemed to be an after thought soniclly speaking in my opinion, and I could see that he really doesn't understand why djs use vinyl. what is your opinion, I'm very interested in what others thought of this.

six_wax

Post by six_wax » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:04 pm

I'm not particularly a fan of his 'style' of music, but if you get a change to listen to his latest album on a good set of speakers, please do. Technically, it's got some pretty mind-blowing stuff on it.

then come back and make fun of his hair.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:10 pm

Anonymous wrote:I don't want this to turn into a Bt bashing fest so I'm saying that up front.
I would like to know, because I do a totally different kind of music than his
whenever I hear about him, I hear about stuttering, is that some type of fascinating thing within his type of music genre? what I'm getting at is, it is just stuttering right? or is it that it is the most popular efxt right now?
I find music with stuttering constantly in every song to be annoying. I watched the m-audio clip and I thought imho that he did nothing for the earth wind and fire song, I didn't think that what he did went with the music and from what he was telling the crowd I got the feeling that he was under the impression that he was mixing the earth wind and fire track but I think clearly he wasn't. The earth wind fire track just seemed to be an after thought soniclly speaking in my opinion, and I could see that he really doesn't understand why djs use vinyl. what is your opinion, I'm very interested in what others thought of this.
HEya man,
I'm not one of those dudes who worships every bar of music BT has made, but he's one of the reasons I left a really good career to follow music and despite the fact that not everything he does I go along with, I have a lot of respect for the dude.

The stutter thing is i guess part of his signature sound, he doesnt OVER use them, but he uses them frequently and just as another production technique in my opinion.
I guess you could compare it to the basslines that sting made so much a signature part of the Police sound, or the simple rhythmic wall of melody The Edge from U2 has to his credit which you can pick out a mile away.

I guess what I'm saying is it's part of his sound and has been for a while.. so be it.

I haven't watched the M-Audio thing, because frankly I dont really like to see how people do their 'thing'. I like to know whatever I have done, I havent had to learn from others, but to say he doesn't understand why DJ's use vinyl is nonesense. You are talking about somebody who is in a cut-throat industry, that pumps out tracks specifically to be pressed on vinyl FOR DJ's. Knowing how much work I have to put in to my knowledge of overall production just to maybe get a foot in the door, I can say that it's a safe bet to assume BT knows his shit.

my 2c.

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:34 pm

Personally I think he is riding on the success of his earlier career - Flaming June for example. That was a class tune back in the day, and I still pop it on every now and then because its such a quality song.

But ... meh.. most of his recent stuff from the new album blows in my opinion.

djTomServo

Post by djTomServo » Mon Mar 29, 2004 7:59 pm

I'm going to say yeah I love BTs stuff myself, but the NAMM vid was a bit of a downer. I'd rather see a more masterclass type thing from him rather than here's a quick rundown thanks for coming, etc

Post by Guest » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:39 am

sweetjesus, you should check out the m-audio video, then you will see that Bt doesn't share your opinion of vinyL.
he is a very skilled entertainer though no doubt about it

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:30 am

Anonymous wrote:sweetjesus, you should check out the m-audio video, then you will see that Bt doesn't share your opinion of vinyL.
he is a very skilled entertainer though no doubt about it
I gave into temptation and watched the clip. It's the first time I've seen anybody other than myself using Live. You're right. He doesn't seem to like Vinyl much at all.

To the contrary, I cant wait for the day I can afford to press a whole bunch of my stuff onto vinyl and incorporate it with Live.

Vinyl has a particular sound and to me, it's not just about the notes and the drum patterns you hear, but the overall timbre of a track can be heavily influenced by the medium.

Why is it that a lot of pro engineers still use tape? Even better yet, a lot of engineers track stuff onto tape and then put it all in the computer for editing + mixdowns or vice-versa.

In addition to my vinyl fantasies/fetish I do (and enjoy) using a synth along with Live, because stuff along the lines of modifying the envelope of a sound in an arpeggio is crucial for stuff like Trance and a lot of breaks i hear these days.

I was going to check out BT playing live here in sydney, but I didnt get to cause i was stuck home waiting for someone, can anyone who has seen him play a proper set tell me if he does more than just what I saw live?

the roland d-beam/airfx style thing was ok, but I guess smartelectronix plugs + <insert your interface of choice> is pretty available.

For some nice stutter and supatrigga style effects listen to a track named "Pick Up The Phone" by a (i believe) swedish group called "The Notwist". Really nice idm type sounds in there.

< NOTE: one of you abletonians with lots of $$ to burn, here's a gimmick for you>The only cool thing I could think of doing with that light beam and it would actually look cool is having a row of say... 12 of them and using it to turn every movement you do near the setup controlling different modulating paramater....

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Tue Mar 30, 2004 11:56 am

FYI, NoTwist are from Germany ... and the controller you're speaking off makes me think very much of the laserharp JM Jarre was using in th emid-eighties ...
http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 12:47 pm

Mbazzy wrote:FYI, NoTwist are from Germany ... and the controller you're speaking off makes me think very much of the laserharp JM Jarre was using in th emid-eighties ...
My apologies to any german folks, I "assumed" they were swedish because I've heard more swedish people sing english. Nonetheless, awesome song ...

I sussed out the Laserharp...I FRIGGIN WANT ONE OF THOSE!!!! I swear I would not hesitate to sell a kidney to get one of them babies!

Found a page dedicated to the laserharp, here's a link to the pics page:
http://laserharp.manuel-schulz.com/html/jarregal.html

That blows my idea out of the water!
:)