Creating a mono output channel

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.

Creating a mono output channel

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 5:11 pm

hi all, I"m a registered user of live 3.0.3 and am trying to figure out how to make a channel run just on the left or right side. I want to use my stereo mbox as two completely separate mono effects channels. I can figure out how to run the left and right inputs completely individual from each other, but cannot figure out how to run the left and right outputs completely seperate from each other. is this possible? I hope so. Thanks for any help!

Post by Guest » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:54 pm

does anyone know how to do this? is this impossible? anyone... ?

paulc

Post by paulc » Wed Mar 24, 2004 10:22 pm

Hard pan the channels Left/Right - I havent tried it but that should force the audio to come out of a specific output.

Ie: Track 1 and Track 2 have the same output, say output 2-3 selected. Track 1 is hard panned left, and Track 2 is hard panned right, track 1 should come out of ouput 2, and track 2 should come out of output 3...

Afaik there is no way to 'unlink' the outputs as you can with the inputs

-- Paul

Post by Guest » Thu Mar 25, 2004 2:09 pm

paulc, thanks for the idea. I guess it is impossible to make mono output channels. I'll have to work with the panning. I appreciate your reply.

DJADD

Mono channel

Post by DJADD » Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:14 am

Have your tried using the utility effect in Live 3?... I believe you can send your signal thru it and create a mono output. I'm at work, so I can't confirm.
¡Manipulating what is, into what shouldn't!
http://www.losminstrelsdeldiablo.com

Mbazzy

Post by Mbazzy » Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:10 pm

In the FAQ :twisted: :
All of my tracks output as stereo in Live. What should I do if I need to just send a mono file out of a single output of my audio interface?
Live does not have mono tracks. As a workaround, use the pan control to send the mono file to a single output of your audio interface.

http://www.mbazzy.tk -
Mbazzy's "The dysfunctional playground, a scrapbook a bout the shape of useless things" now OUT on Retinascan - http://www.retinascan.de

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:41 pm

The utility device definately does allow you to "turn a channel mono", you just have to use either the left or right switch depending on which channel you want to use. If you create two identical clips in two adjacent channels, you can split them into separate left and right using a Utility plugin in each channel, if you get what I mean.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:30 am

Martyn wrote:The utility device definately does allow you to "turn a channel mono", you just have to use either the left or right switch depending on which channel you want to use. If you create two identical clips in two adjacent channels, you can split them into separate left and right using a Utility plugin in each channel, if you get what I mean.
In addition to that, you can use the clip automation to make the channel "stereo" if you so wish later...