HELP! 12 Hours till GIG and i get Serious Error

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
kpa

HELP! 12 Hours till GIG and i get Serious Error

Post by kpa » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:21 am

Hi,
Hopefully someone can ehlp as things arent going the way they should.
Last night i was finishing off my live setup, a file which included about 10 or so songs in the one live set. I packed up and went into my local nightclub to have a practice run on their soundsystem while it was closed.

Live wouldnt load the file.
It would either just freeze (not responding ) and need to close or just close by itself, no warning or anything.

After about 15 reboots and other attempts. I packed up and went home to sort it out. Out of about 90 mins in the club i had about 5 mins of sound, when i opened some induvidual songs to see if the whole laptop had melted, but they worked.

I need some help to see if it is possible to get into a previously saved version of the file with the Gig setup, as i think that the file may be too big for live to load and so it crashes when opening.
--Is there a temp folder that hold prevous versions of files and how do i get into it. And how do i load this version.
--Or is there a way to revert a file to a previous state without using EDIT-UNDO, as the file wont load to get into the menu.

The file is only 7 mb big, but it holds in it about 10-12 other sets, about 200 samples so its not that big really. It just doesnt load and caause a 'serious error and has to close'.

Hopefully someone will understand whats happening and how to fix it, as i have a gig in 12 hours. I have to travel down to my house in glasgow for the gig and once there i have to spend all the time i have putting together a set and assigning midi etc. Not the chilled out day i was planning. Everything will work out, but lots of work needed.

If you can help but dont fully understand, justa ask for clarification adn ill tell you once i get to glasgow (about 1 pm).

Thank in advance,

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

Darwinist

Post by Darwinist » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:24 am

No idea what the problem is, but godspeed and good luck mate!

Michael-SW

Re: HELP! 12 Hours till GIG and i get Serious Error

Post by Michael-SW » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:00 pm

kpa wrote: ...
--Is there a temp folder that hold prevous versions of files and how do i get into it. And how do i load this version.
--Or is there a way to revert a file to a previous state without using EDIT-UNDO, as the file wont load to get into the menu.
No (AFAIK) to both questions.

Try moving all you VSTs to a new folder so Live won't find them. A bad VST is the most common reason for Live to hang when starting up.

You might also have gotten a corrupted file (scan your disk) or a computer virus.

slashviper

Post by slashviper » Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:57 pm

i quote!! i had the same ! and was some stupid vst in conflict with my audio card!! good luck

kpa

Post by kpa » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:48 pm

thanks for your suggestions. i decided to just scrap the file and start again. i moved a few vst's and 1 mp3 that the file contained, it didnt work, so i just remade the file as it was a compilation of tracks. time was short and this seemed the best option.

thanks for your help.

kpa
Cryptomnesian - the recall of memories not recognised as such, but thought to be original ideas.
www.Cryptomnesian.com
www.myspace.com/thekpa
www.myspace.com/thebodesapha

Ruso

Post by Ruso » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:05 pm

well actually if you tweak with vst's and sometimes get crashes, or close sets too fast ableton will save a "crash" copy, and at least for me I have an automatic regular back up ;) lol

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application Data\Ableton\Live 6.0.1\Preferences\Crash

but yea it probably was a vst,