Live 3.0 Effects for Dummies?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
zameericle

Live 3.0 Effects for Dummies?

Post by zameericle » Tue Mar 30, 2004 4:54 am

Is there a more friendlier, non-techy description of what each of the effects that come with live do? I'm basically looking for an overview description in layman terms - as I am by no means an audiophile - only a hobbyist trying to get into all of this. The information provided in the manual can get a little overwhelming at times. Any help would be appreciated..

thanks

Z

gaspode

uhm...

Post by gaspode » Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:07 pm

most of the fx are pretty standard... you could probably find descriptions on the web...

also check out Live Power... you can probably find it on amazon... it covers version 2, but if you understand the effects description from that you can probably figure out what the rest do...

but as a *very* quick description... and certainly not perfect...

Auto Filter... attempts to make eq decisions for you

Chorus... 'thickens' the sound by (possibly) harmonizing the sample with itself

Compressor (I and II)... make your sample overall louder, ie compressing the dynamic range... it will be less 'quiet' and more 'loud' all the time

EQ (Three and Four)... allow you to increase/lower the volume of a specific frequency... if you don't understand this... go play with the bass/treble knobs on your radio

Erosion... haven't played with this one much... sorry :P

Filter Delay... it filters the incoming signal and then delays it... think of an echo... you hear yourself back, but it is distorted some

Gate... I haven't played with this... but my guess would be that it gates a sound and only allows sound to come through that meet certain (volume?) requirements

Grain Delay... if you get Filter Delay... then grain delay is similar, but instead of filtering it uses a grain cloud... which is like it takes little snippets of your sound randomly and spits them out

Ping Pong Delay... This is another delay... with lots of spacial movement if memory serves...

Redux... now this one is a blast... essentially it makes your samples sound like they are coming out of a nintendo or old school sampler... C64... whatever your like

Resonators... think about it sort of like eq... but it makes certain frequencies more 'exciting'... heh

Reverb... Reverberation is what you get... the ambient sound of something just being in a room... as the sound reflects all over the place. It is related to delay... but not quite the same thing...

Simple Delay... it just makes a sound sometime after the initial sound was made.

Utility... I know I read a description of it, but never used it so no clue

Vinyl Distortion... this is kind of a 'cute' little effect, but I can imagine took quite a programming feat. anywho... it emulates pretty well the distortion that you get due to playing a song through a record. I think I recall reading a paper about this that one of the developers (possibly Monolake) had posted... it is quite nutty...

anywho... hope that helps a little.

zameericle

thanks!

Post by zameericle » Tue Mar 30, 2004 10:33 pm

thanks for the helpful info. much appreciated