soft synth for technoish lines/sequences?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
99reese

soft synth for technoish lines/sequences?

Post by 99reese » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:56 pm

I'm looking for a good soft synth that is heavy on rhythmic sequences, rather than melodic instruments (such as organs, keys, etc.). Not necessarily multi-part (drums and instrument), but more lines or leads that are sequenced. I'm using massive right now, and there are a few in there, but I'm wondering if there is a soft synth that is heavier on those technoish sequences (for lack of a better term)? Hope that makes sense. Many thanks.
-Chris

jeffb01

Post by jeffb01 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:17 pm

It looks like maybe you're looking for a soft synth with an appregiator. Try out the following (if they have demos):

zebra 2
rob papen's predator (or albino or blue)
motu mx4 (might be mac only)
virus ti (my favorite, though expensive - to me it is just a soft synth with a really big dongle/midi controller)

Another great option is consider picking up camelspace. It's not an instrument, but an effect and a trance gate, so you put any sound in it and you can make it very rhymic. It's an amazing effect and makes everything sound cool. www.camelaudio.com

I also like cakewalk's rapture, but like massive, doesn't have a true appregiator. Great sounds, though. I like the sounds of rapture better than massive, but I like programming massive better.

99reese

Post by 99reese » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:29 pm

Yeah, I've played a bit with freebies like the mogue and arp with arppegiators - that's definitely the idea, although want to keep it very modern sounding, and not just modulated by pitch. It seems like Camelspace would be very cool and versitile :o Many thanks for that link!
Aha, the virus thing - I saw the article for the polar in a recent comp music issue - very cool looking, probably a little over the top for me, might stay in the realm of magazine pages unfortunately. It never hurts to have far too many led lights on a controller though :lol:

commuter

Post by commuter » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:07 pm

My favourite for this purpose is Audiorealism ASM (semi Modular) known as "Bassline Pro" There's a "TB 303 like" step Sequencer that can act as an arp and several others cool stuff , like a fantastic 24db filter.etc......
It's semi modular, and available on MAc and PC.
Check the Sequence demo folder..
My absolute favourite virtual Instruments, and really spot on for "Technoish" stuff
15" Macbook Pro 2,3 quadcore I7 2012/8gb ram/240gb SSD/ LIVE 9.06/OSX 10.8.5, NI Komplete audio 6
https://www.facebook.com/commuterofficial
http://soundcloud.com/commuter

Mr Man

Post by Mr Man » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:28 pm

zeta3 has some impressive arpy styles too

99reese

Post by 99reese » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:38 pm

jeffb01 wrote:
Another great option is consider picking up camelspace. It's not an instrument, but an effect and a trance gate, so you put any sound in it and you can make it very rhymic. It's an amazing effect and makes everything sound cool. www.camelaudio.com
I've been listening to the demos, and really can't get a good sense for the trance gate from the one clip..from your experience, does it do a good job of chopping/gating a sound and keeping the phrase in sync to the host tempo? Overall, a very cool looking plug in - I would just want the tempo synced/ gate to be the strongest feature.

99reese

Post by 99reese » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:45 pm

just for giggles, i'm going to narrow down the right sounds from massive and tweak the f*** out of them to see what happens.

btw, jeffb01, I also like the programmability of massive and the sounds...the fact that you mention a program with *better* sounds is very interesting!

R.J.Dubya

Post by R.J.Dubya » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:39 pm

ABL Semi-Modular : Best analog sounding ARP/sequencing synth on the market I'd say. Amazing at 303/202/101 stuff.

Man do I wish it had a swing knob though.
aka glitchrock-buddha
303 posts as Winston

Macbook pro C2D 2.16, Firepod, rubber band and a stick.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:42 pm

Analog+Live's arp

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:10 pm

Poster wrote:Analog+Live's arp
... 4tw!

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:24 pm

Machinate wrote:
... 4tw!
sorry.. I'm lacking in abrev talk here.. 4tw?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:27 pm

Poster wrote:
Machinate wrote:
... 4tw!
sorry.. I'm lacking in abrev talk here.. 4tw?
4tw==ftw==for teh win==is very good, kind sir.

ps: sorry.

Poster

Post by Poster » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:33 pm

:lol: k'ay.. thanks..

jeffb01

Post by jeffb01 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:40 pm

99reese wrote:just for giggles, i'm going to narrow down the right sounds from massive and tweak the f*** out of them to see what happens.

btw, jeffb01, I also like the programmability of massive and the sounds...the fact that you mention a program with *better* sounds is very interesting!
Well, I don't know if they're better. I just think the presets are great. I love the sound of massive too. The thing is, Massive is my favorite synth to program (along with the virus ti [virus core] and I don't have a clue how to program rapture.

I swear by camelspace. Download the demo. It's easy to program or tweak, comes with tons of preset (many of them downloadable from their website), and makes everything sound great. You could fart into a microphone, put it through camelspace and make a record out of it.

jeffb01

Post by jeffb01 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:41 pm

99reese wrote: I've been listening to the demos, and really can't get a good sense for the trance gate from the one clip..from your experience, does it do a good job of chopping/gating a sound and keeping the phrase in sync to the host tempo? Overall, a very cool looking plug in - I would just want the tempo synced/ gate to be the strongest feature.
Oh, yeah - It does all of those things...