help me build a live set. losing my mind here.

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
glamourboy

help me build a live set. losing my mind here.

Post by glamourboy » Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:20 pm

hello good people.

i'm trying to find the best way for me to perform live with ableton live, and i keep banging into walls.

when i started out with live i wanted to be a dragger.
i had learned the term through FZero's very cool tutorial:
http://geradorzero.com/2007/05/04/ablet ... et-freaks/

i've found that this method is not good if using 3rd party plugins as i am.
dropping sets or clips using these au/vst plugins causes glitches.
ableton support confirms this.

i've tried creating a "megaset" but as suspected the cpu load was too high by the time i had merged 4 songs. is there a way to disable a track so it won't use cpu when not playing?

otherwise it seems i'll have to flatten every clip i've made using 3rd party plugins (many!), and thereby lose the ability to tweak not only the parameters of these plugins but also any midi fx attached to them.
there are other disadvantages that i won't bore you with here.

but when i flatten a track holding an au plugin i also flatten any fx on that track making it completely untweakable.
do i have to remove the fx, then flatten the dry instrument and finally apply the fx again?

any suggestions are welcome.
i just want to play my tracks live with as much freedom and as little bouncing (the bad kind) as possible.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:07 pm

This is something I dealt with for a while. Then I upgraded my computer. ;)

Seriously though, you just gotta.... let go, and decide what's really necessary to the set. Do you REALLY need a whole assload of plugins running at the same time? Can you bounce some stuff down, like drums or other loops that don't require live tweaking? Can you get by using a less CPU intensive plugin instead of something else? Instead of using 3 or 4 instances of the same plugin, why not set one up on a return track?

You just gotta be creative with the limitations you have. These days, we are lightyears ahead in terms of technology and possibilities than electronic musicians from 15 years ago.

InaBalloon

posted similar Q

Post by InaBalloon » Tue Oct 23, 2007 5:54 am

Hi, nice question, somewhat the same as mine, only you explaned it better.

My thoughts now are: render some of the clips, don't render the ones you wanna tweek most, render those off wich you can tweek with the effects and keep the session part of one song limited, maybe 3 scenes and the ability to cue in and out the seperate tracks.

You can set the output of the clip rendering to without effects by selecting the track and disabling(on/off button) the effects you have on the track (not deleting!)
This way you can keep the effects, but they process the soundclip.
And look at the video of Robert Henke,s limited setup and how much he does with it.

And to my opinion: save the upgrade of the computer until it is truely needed.
Hope this helps you somewhat, somehow, Laurens

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:30 pm

A couple things:

1. In a live situation nice subtleties that may rock in the studio will pass unnoticed - apply liberal axing to such niceties as "stereo separation" and multiple hi-q reverbs. Similarly, if you have a couple Impulse racks, and every one of your sounds has a filter plus some stretch applied, that will kill you.
2. Less is more in terms of control - you need to be able to locate what you want FAST, undistracted by 10 other individual clip slots.
3. Whenever I played live I found I was getting to about 1/4 of the planned changes/tweaks etc. I had rehearsed. Again, less is more here.
4. Get an external soundcard.
5. Upgrade.

ckluxen

Post by ckluxen » Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:55 am

Hi,

oh, I`m a set freak, nice link;-)
Working since 3 years at the perfect set and its getting better every day.

The idea behind is to use live as a mixer, with a BCF 2000 in mackiecontrol-mode, a BCR-2000 as flexible midi-learn controller for all the drums and their effects.

I think its kind of dubmixing idea behind it, think about building a mixer with all its functions, just my thought...

In the first setup every miditrack has its own audiotrack for resampling, it gets all mixed down with the returns, you have to get your brain working, really!

Ableton is a good program, but some things like recording controller are so complicated, so I decides to use audio to resample.

particle

Post by particle » Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:30 am

as the dragger tutorial said : "simplify simplify simplify!!!"