recording

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
eternal

recording

Post by eternal » Thu May 06, 2004 6:47 am

I have a korg triton le hooked to my computer through a USB MIDI interface. Can you record a track in LIVE through a midi interface or do i need to hook the keyboard to the line in interface on the sound card. I've hooked the keybaord into the line in before and the recording is terrible any suggestions?
eternal

music forever

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Thu May 06, 2004 12:00 pm

you cannot record a track via midi ,midi is not for audio.
what kind of sound do you get on your recording,distorted,cliped,streched?
are you using the on board sound card?if you are using the on board sound card it s the source of the problem as on board sound cards record very badly & have a very high latency.
if you use a good sound card you need to check your settings & make sure you have disabled the onboard device.then check your recording levels & make sure you record near a 0db gain at more than 16 bits 44.1kz.

if after all this it still record badly try to record on sound forge or wavelab,they have alway worked very fine with any of my settings.

eternal

Recording MIDI

Post by eternal » Thu May 06, 2004 4:06 pm

On board sound card? not sure what you mean. My sound card is installed on my pc if i disable it I will have know sound or recording ability at all.
eternal

music forever

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Fri May 07, 2004 12:44 am

ok, did you buy a sound card and install it into your pc or are you using the mini 1/8th inch input that came with your computer?

if you did not buy a sound card or external audio interface, your recordings are always going to be pretty lo-fi. if you do have a good card or interface, then we want to know what the specific problem is with the sound. maybe you recorded at too high a level, digital recording is not like tape, if you peak, it will sound very bad. maybe you recorded at a low bit depth or sample rate by accident.

Do you own a hardware sampler? if you do, one workaround would be to record to your sampler and then export the audio file to live.

-m

spiderprod

Post by spiderprod » Fri May 07, 2004 6:32 pm

the on board sound card is the sound card fixed on your motherboard,the one that most of pc have when you buy them,if you are using this one it's normal your recording sound bad cos generaly it records in 8 bits format.
you need a proper soundcard pci,usb or firewire & record at more than 16bits

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Sat May 08, 2004 12:02 am

how about 16bits or more.

i think 16bit 44.1k sounds fine. ok, ok, 24b 96k sounds a lot better, but i only have so much HD space.

oooo and don't buy a usb interface, they sound like donkey crap.

gaspode

Onboard...

Post by gaspode » Mon May 10, 2004 1:41 pm

If you're using your ownboard soundcard, I've heard plenty of recordings that were acceptable recording this way.

A few things to check though... is make sure you are using line in for starters... if you plug into the mic port, most likely the signal is being boosted which can highly distort the sounds.

Not knowing what OS you are on will make it difficult to give specific advice, but assuming you are using XP, go to your control panel and sound settings (I think this is labeled "Sounds and Multimedia")... go to your audio tab... push the volume button to bring up your volume control... under options go to properties and select "recording"... make sure that *all* of the check boxes in the bottom of the window are checked... from there, play with your settings while recording different takes and see if you can get it to sound better.

I would also suggest muting everything besides your line in for recording, as with most built in sound cards you can get pretty crappy cross talk and interference from the other channels since a lot of this stuff is poorly grounded.

I have a few friends that only use their built in soundcard for doing audio recording. If you can get it setup correctly it shouldn't sound horrible, and any newer sound cards should be able to record at 16-bit 44.1khz... (just make sure it isn't up sampling from 8-bit to 16-bit). If you're looking to stay inexpensive I've used the Sound Blaster Audigy and Audigy 2, they are both quite passable and would probably serve you well in the $100 - $200 range. I recently picked up an M-Audio Audiophile for $250 for an inexpensive portable solution, and I'd have to say it works well. If I'm at home and in my studio I'd still use my Motu 828, but for something easy to pack up into my backpack and bring over to a friends house the Audiophile works fine.