Dance music with tempo changes: Is it practial yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
djastroboy

Dance music with tempo changes: Is it practial yet?

Post by djastroboy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:28 pm

Is it practical to start writing techno with tempo changes yet?

In traditional vinyl DJing, it was very hard to beatmix songs with tempo changes.

When I got Final Scratch it got a little easier because I could at least identify clearly which songs were doing what with the tempo where and even chop out some bad edits.

Older versions of Ableton let you 'DJ' around tempo changes by removing the changes with warping.

From what I've read, newer Ableton features might make it possible to beat mix with tempo changes.

Are any of the other DJ tools addressing this?

How long till I can toss tempo changes willy-nilly into my songs I write?

Briangoodman

Post by Briangoodman » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:45 pm

Very interesting question because it was done many times in the past when songs were intentionally slowed down from 135 to 40 slow and then back up again. It was done manually in real time as the music was mixed to the mastering machine. Moby made a song that went up to 1000bmp :lol: :lol: and it was released to.

The interesting thing is it cannot be done well today because of the audio - vsts and glitches that occur with the daw when doing this. maybe thats a development :lol:

it will be many years before the daw system can do what the hardware sequencer and synths - samplers could do twenty years ago. For the DJ I dont know if it is a very important issue.

djastroboy

Post by djastroboy » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:54 pm

Briangoodman wrote:Very interesting question because it was done many times in the past when songs were intentionally slowed down from 135 to 40 slow and then back up again. It was done manually in real time as the music was mixed to the mastering machine. Moby made a song that went up to 1000bmp :lol: :lol: and it was released to.

The interesting thing is it cannot be done well today because of the audio - vsts and glitches that occur with the daw when doing this. maybe thats a development :lol:

it will be many years before the daw system can do what the hardware sequencer and synths - samplers could do twenty years ago. For the DJ I dont know if it is a very important issue.
I don't mean technically possible; I'm just looking to be able to do subtle tempo changes that make the composition more interesting, nothing gimmicky (although dropping to a hip hop beat from a house one is a killer dance floor excitement generator.)

I just mean if you create a track with tempo changes, you probably won't get played by too many beat mixing DJs because the beat mixing might not go so well. Esp. if they don't know that you're changing the tempo.

Imaging a 135BPM techno song with a big breakdown. Now image the same song with a big breakdown that ramps up to 137BPM during the breakdown. Yummy.

swishniak

Re: Dance music with tempo changes: Is it practial yet?

Post by swishniak » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:02 pm

djastroboy wrote: How long till I can toss tempo changes willy-nilly into my songs I write?
if it sounds good - toss it in..

we will deal.

dCross

Post by dCross » Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:24 pm

One note: it's very difficult to use Live to DJ with such songs.

Like you mentioned, many times you can either "fix" this problem in Live through careful warp marker-ing, or "forget" it through careful warp marker removal.

But a track like Orbital's "Belfast" - which ends by continually slowing down instead of having a slowed-down section - is a total pain for DJing with in Live.
David Cross
Public Media Coordinator
Ableton Inc. (NYC)

cross@ableton.com