If I buy Ableton Live 7, will I...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Mononic

If I buy Ableton Live 7, will I...

Post by Mononic » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:19 pm

...be able to save the current project I am working within the Live 7 demo? Obviously I would be purchasing the download version, thus just activating the demo via serial number. Once activated, can I save the project I have been working on... or will Live require a restart, thus losing the session that I have been working on for 3 days.

Yes. 3 days. Call me stupid, but I am loving ableton live. I haven't dared to shut my macbook or even unplug the power supply in fear that I will lose my work. I want to race out tomorrow and buy it, so I can save my work... if I can't, i'll just spend another day working on it and bounce it to disk (the ol' fashion way).

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:27 pm

Yes you can. as long as you don't have any instruments in demo mode. Such as operator for example.

Live is designed to work from going from demo to full version without shutting down Live.

Mononic

Post by Mononic » Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:47 pm

Hmmm... I chose the Live 7 suite demo (tension, analog, etc). But I'm not using them at all in the session. I can just go into preferences and deactivate the instruments before entering the serial number can't I?

Should be all sweet?

bgc

Post by bgc » Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:15 pm

Live might want to restart if you have demo instruments activated. Just be careful. Maybe finish your set first... ; )

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:13 pm

Mononic wrote:Hmmm... I chose the Live 7 suite demo (tension, analog, etc). But I'm not using them at all in the session. I can just go into preferences and deactivate the instruments before entering the serial number can't I?

Should be all sweet?
I think it should be. However this is a very tricky question that only Ableton can really answer.

All I know is: Live has received an update in the past, to make sure that people can use the demo - buy live and continue working.

This may not be the case with Live 7 and unless Ableton replies to this, you might have to find out the hard way.
I'd say its safe. But it might get buggy, who knows? Its a pretty unique scenario.

Resample all your tracks before you enter your serial.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:36 pm

Will the demo let you save resamples? Not sure.

This might sound like a joke, but if it's mainly midi and pluggins and not much recorded audio...

Get a pen and a pad of paper.

It doesn't actually take long to jot down drum beats and melodies. Any samples you can note down the preset, and get rough positions of crucial parameter positions.

I don't mean try to completely detail everything, but whatever the real essentiial elements are to get it going again.

If it all goes wrong, you'll be halfway towards recreating it. And you never know, it might be better next time round.

pat the dog

Post by pat the dog » Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:54 pm

andydes wrote:Will the demo let you save resamples? Not sure.
yes you can route your tracks into an audio track and record the mixdown into that track and then find the wav/aiff on your hard drive. that's saved my skin in a few video editing situations where i needed to adjust the tempo of a piece of music but didn't have my copy of live on hand.

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:55 pm

Yeah, I think you should resample your tracks and save the audio files just in case something doesn't work out...