NEED HELP USING TRIGGER FINGER!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thehumanmetronome

NEED HELP USING TRIGGER FINGER!

Post by thehumanmetronome » Sun Dec 16, 2007 4:00 am

I'm using Live 6 with a Trigger Finger. I can't figure out how to set Live and/or the Trigger Finger up to do what I need it to do. I have a large library of of wav drum samples. I want to be able to assign one sample to each individual pad on the trigger finger to create my own loops in Live. Just like you would on an MPC2000. How the crap do I do this? I've been reading for hours trying to figure it out and now I'm just starting to get pissed......Can someone PLEASE help me?? Thanks SO much!!!

DJ VAKIS

Re: NEED HELP USING TRIGGER FINGER!

Post by DJ VAKIS » Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:22 am

thehumanmetronome wrote:I'm using Live 6 with a Trigger Finger. I can't figure out how to set Live and/or the Trigger Finger up to do what I need it to do. I have a large library of of wav drum samples. I want to be able to assign one sample to each individual pad on the trigger finger to create my own loops in Live. Just like you would on an MPC2000. How the crap do I do this? I've been reading for hours trying to figure it out and now I'm just starting to get pissed......Can someone PLEASE help me?? Thanks SO much!!!
Open an impulse or simpler or sampler,load your samples there and play them.
If you use impulse you will need to select midi channel 10 on your trigger finger.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

thehumanmetronome

Post by thehumanmetronome » Sun Dec 16, 2007 8:49 pm

Thanks for the reply!! I will do that. I was trying with Impulse but no luck. Once I do load them into whichever instrument, what do I need to do to assign each particular sample to each pad on the trigger finger?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:16 am

trick is to assign the Trigger Finger to reach the correct notes in impulse, not the other way around.

I believe impulse is c3 through c4, white keys only.

hope this helps.

beatpoet

Post by beatpoet » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:25 am

DJ VAKIS wrote:
thehumanmetronome wrote:I'm using Live 6 with a Trigger Finger. I can't figure out how to set Live and/or the Trigger Finger up to do what I need it to do. I have a large library of of wav drum samples. I want to be able to assign one sample to each individual pad on the trigger finger to create my own loops in Live. Just like you would on an MPC2000. How the crap do I do this? I've been reading for hours trying to figure it out and now I'm just starting to get pissed......Can someone PLEASE help me?? Thanks SO much!!!
If you use impulse you will need to select midi channel 10 on your trigger finger.
It's program 10 you need not MIDI channel 10, just hit Prog/bank change and P10. Program 10 on any midi channel will work.

thehumanmetronome

Post by thehumanmetronome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:29 am

Ok I will try those suggestions. Thanks guys for the help SO much! If it doesn't work I'll be right back with more questions lol!

thehumanmetronome

Post by thehumanmetronome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:54 am

beatpoet wrote:
DJ VAKIS wrote:
It's program 10 you need not MIDI channel 10, just hit Prog/bank change and P10. Program 10 on any midi channel will work.
Ok THAT worked. I got the samples playing through Impulse. Now my next question might be confusing so I'll try to word it as simply as possible... Impulse will only allow 8 samples in one Impulse obviously. Now what do I do to load more than 8 samples into the other available pads on the trigger finger? When I try to drag another Impulse onto the same Midi track the other was on, the first Impulse goes away and the original 8 samples don't play on the pads anymore...I also can't figure out how to make the second clip I want to record go on my existing midi track right under the first one with the new Impulse........

Rogue Scrunt

Post by Rogue Scrunt » Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:45 am

upgrade to live 7

drum racks are very nice, and make ableton alot like an mpc.

fully worth the upgrade price.
for lots of great records, check out,
http://stores.ebay.com/id=64360994?ssPageName=ME:F:ST

thehumanmetronome

NEED HELP USING TRIGGER FINGER WITH DRUM RACK IN LIVE 7!

Post by thehumanmetronome » Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:49 am

Rogue Scrunt wrote:upgrade to live 7

OK I went and upgraded to Live 7 and the Rack is DEFINITELY an improvement. BUT.....now my Trigger Finger is doing something it didn't do before...When I hit a pad to play a Kick Drum sample for example, it only keeps playing the sample if I keep the pad held down. I don't want it to do this. It didn't do this in Impulse, but apparently it does it in Drum Rack. I want to hit the pad once and it play the entire sample. Why has this changed? How can I fix this??? Thanks!!!

DJ VAKIS

Post by DJ VAKIS » Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:21 am

beatpoet wrote:
DJ VAKIS wrote:
Yes,i wanted to say prg10 on the triggerfinger.
http://www.myspace.com/djvakis
http://mix2r.fm/audio/user/221

----------------------------------------
MacBookPro 13" Core 2 Duo 2.26Ghz 2GB
Live 8 -Operator -Sampler
AKAI LPD8-GENELEC 1029A-iPhone runing TouchOSC.

UnCL0NED

Re: NEED HELP USING TRIGGER FINGER WITH DRUM RACK IN LIVE 7!

Post by UnCL0NED » Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:01 am

thehumanmetronome wrote:
Rogue Scrunt wrote:upgrade to live 7

OK I went and upgraded to Live 7 and the Rack is DEFINITELY an improvement. BUT.....now my Trigger Finger is doing something it didn't do before...When I hit a pad to play a Kick Drum sample for example, it only keeps playing the sample if I keep the pad held down. I don't want it to do this. It didn't do this in Impulse, but apparently it does it in Drum Rack. I want to hit the pad once and it play the entire sample. Why has this changed? How can I fix this??? Thanks!!!
I'm fairly new to all this stuff and had exactly the same issue, but figured it out after one whole afternoon fiddling with the Drum Rack:
-Click on one of the pads in your drumrack. So the Simpler appears behind it.
-Turn the "release knob" all the way to right, in the Simpler.
-Rightclick the "release knob" and select the thing that says it should do it for all siblings (don't know exactly what it said, but you'll find it under there)...
-Now all your pads in the Drum Rack should play the whole sample when they are triggered.

Drum racks are sooo cool. I love the feature where You can assign pads to groups groups that choke the previous sample if you hit another pad in that group! So if you have a hihat sample where one is open and the other one is closed w/ foot or so, you can hit the open hihat and it will stop ringing once you hit the closed hihat. Big improvement from Impulse.

Have fun with it!!!