hod do i know i have latency

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Sebastian

hod do i know i have latency

Post by Sebastian » Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:58 am

Is it by ear or is there a tecnical way of knowing too?

A bass player came over and recorded. He could hear it, I couldnt. It was very subtle if there at all. We looked at him pikcing vs the LED on mixer. Too hard to tell.

I have huge RAM 2GB (intel mac.)

I have adjusted to 256 buffer size. that may help

dunno

any suggests?

thanks
Live Suite 9, RME Fireface 800, Mac Book Pro, Sierra

blank

Post by blank » Tue Dec 18, 2007 4:53 am

check in the audio preferences maybe ?
feug.net -:- virb.com/feug

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:11 am

Use direct monitoring for tracking basses, or a latency of 128 samples (or lower if your hardware can take it without pops and glitches, RME cards can often run well at 64 samples if you have a good computer setup) if possible.

512 samples is VERY noticeable to me, unusable for guitars and bass. Unusable for synths too, even internal ones, unless you plan on adjusting or quantizing the MIDI etc afterwards.

In real terms, that (512 samples) is a 25-30 ms delay, if you add a 30 ms delay onto an audio track, you would definately notice the difference.

256 samples, unless doing a lot of fast fluid runs or quick lead work, is tolerable but not ideal.

Use the preferences in Live to change the hardware configuration of the latency in your soundcard.

However, once your audio and MIDI recording is done, it is OK to mix down in 512 or 1,024 samples for smoother glitch free audio (just watch automation as if you record that live with controllers or the mouse etc it can be late at those latencies, drawing automation will be fine though).
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

threestringclarinet

Post by threestringclarinet » Tue Dec 18, 2007 5:54 am

I've just been messing about with this very subject. I found the lesson in Live that walks you through finding the latency and figuring the compensation out in milliseconds. Then you can adjust in the preferences. I found that it helped quite a bit. Leedsquietman is right about the 25-30ms of delay. Not so much fun to play to.