trigger tricks?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
pepe zabala

trigger tricks?

Post by pepe zabala » Mon May 31, 2004 8:47 pm

Hi!

I want to do the following: I have a recording of a person talking, it's about 10 minutes long. While jamming with live I want to play this speech in little parts. How do I trigger this track/sample without having to cut it into various clips? I mean, when stopping the clip with the whole speech it will start always at the beginning again. Or is there a way to make a clip start at the point where you stopped it (something like the "pause"-function on a CD-player)?

Or did I miss something?

Thanks for suggestions....

forge

Post by forge » Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:19 am

try messing with legato mode - not sure if it will do what you're saying but may get you close, and you may still hve to cut into clips, but its just a little preparation at the start and wont need doing again

Post by Guest » Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:48 pm

forge wrote:try messing with legato mode - not sure if it will do what you're saying but may get you close, and you may still hve to cut into clips, but its just a little preparation at the start and wont need doing again
nope, legato is for starting a clip at the looppoint that the former clip is stopped. I need a trigger method to launch a clip from the point where I stopped it before.

standoff

sample triggering

Post by standoff » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:07 pm

try copying and pasting multiple instances of the clip. now go to the clip editor and place the loop start point (black forward-facing triangle flag thingy) where you need it in each instance. hope that does it.

Re: sample triggering

Post by Guest » Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:11 pm

standoff wrote:try copying and pasting multiple instances of the clip. now go to the clip editor and place the loop start point (black forward-facing triangle flag thingy) where you need it in each instance. hope that does it.
That does it, off course. But then I will have lots and lots and lots of clips of the same sample (It is more than ten minutes long ...) and I have to remember very well which clip was the one I just stopped.

I guess I have play this spoken-word-track from my old mini-disc-player. But then I can not use the effects in Live, hmpf. :-(

smutek

Post by smutek » Fri Jun 04, 2004 12:04 am

no dude, just copy and paste in the clip editor like standoff said then change the names of each edited clip to suit your orginizational needs, voice1, voice 2, voice 3, etc. Still a logistical problem remembering where you left off, but if you number them and place them in order it shouldn't be a problem.

Hope that helps.

kipling

key trigger fade in longer file?

Post by kipling » Fri Jun 11, 2004 8:59 pm

i believe this is a similar idea to being able to stop a file playing at a certain point with a key trigger. i want to be able to play a long file, and with a keyhit trigger an automated fadeout (instead of having to manually fade). the idea of also being able to pause a file that is being played and to restart it from the pause seems like something that would be useful as well...i can't believe there isn't a "pause" somewhere within the playback commands...maybe a special key command?

thanks in advance for any help!

ps. automating a fadeout or fadein would be of great help, since i am dealing with a lot of files to play, and think it would be physically impossible to do more than one fade at a time unless i had a midi controller.

bitmap

Post by bitmap » Sat Jun 12, 2004 6:22 am

if you use your mini disc you can also use Live's effects. just set a channel to "Live in" and run your mini disc through that, add the effects that you want and there you go. i use it with my baritone guitar all the time.
http://dustbreeding.com
http://www.unrecnow.com

Sinjin

Re: key trigger fade in longer file?

Post by Sinjin » Sat Jun 12, 2004 2:50 pm

kipling wrote:i believe this is a similar idea to being able to stop a file playing at a certain point with a key trigger. i want to be able to play a long file, and with a keyhit trigger an automated fadeout (instead of having to manually fade). the idea of also being able to pause a file that is being played and to restart it from the pause seems like something that would be useful as well...i can't believe there isn't a "pause" somewhere within the playback commands...maybe a special key command?

thanks in advance for any help!

ps. automating a fadeout or fadein would be of great help, since i am dealing with a lot of files to play, and think it would be physically impossible to do more than one fade at a time unless i had a midi controller.
i know this helps absolutely no one but...i was reading in an interview with BT that he created an app in MAX/MSP that does his famous "stutter edit" on the fly. im working on this now. when i get it ill post a link or something...unless i find a way to do it solely in live first.

wildcon

Post by wildcon » Fri Jul 09, 2004 5:06 pm

I don't think you can do it with the single clip.

It would be good to be able to set up various points within the same clip that would allow you to jump to these places at the press of a key. Similar to Traktor DJ (a very helpful and cool feature, especially when Dj'ing).

I did post it in the requested features forum (maybe in Live 4 ?)

Sudden Guest

Post by Sudden Guest » Fri Jul 09, 2004 7:16 pm

I remember a Synthedit(?)- VSTplugin doin' it. It worked as a tape-player and is not a VSTinstrument (works in ableton live)). At least you can play/pause that sample (even mp3 was possible imho) as you need it.

Jumping to different startpoints will be a prob. anyway, try kvr and ask there. someone surely remembers that free(!) plug.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:31 pm

i posted to the feature wishlist board about this a few days ago:

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10164

"pause", "resume", "nudge", and "brake" buttons per-track would be very useful...

rs