Anybody else NOT a sports fan?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Anybody else NOT a sports fan?

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:51 pm

I've tried but I really don't get it. At the end of it it's just a bunch of dudes throwing, hitting, kicking, or passing a ball around. But day in and day out I bump into people that can't shut up about it and look at you with extreme confusion when you couldn't give less of a shit about it thus ending any and all attempts for a conversation.

Anybody else feel this way?

Musicians seem to be about the only group of people that I can find other people that don't follow sports.

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:53 pm

I don't follow sports either. well i might watch the final 5 minutes of some OL stuff with Denmark included but thats it.

I do enjoy weightlifting, running and biking though, but only on a personal level and don't care if others do it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:55 pm

I do agree playing sports and exercising is a good thing, but getting all wound up over other people doing it I just don't get at all.

roby

Post by roby » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:57 pm

i'm a firm believer in "playing not watching"
i like to wrestle and soccer

but a counterpoint to my own philosophy would be, "why don't i just stop buying records and listening to music, and just make my own?" :roll: :lol:

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:00 pm

beats me wrote:I do agree playing sports and exercising is a good thing, but getting all wound up over other people doing it I just don't get at all.
Yeah people yelling at a TV and jumping up from their chairs...

The only time i actually enjoyed watching a game of football(soccer) was at a pub in London. But then again it wasn't the actual game, more all the talk and the beers heh

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 pm

I think good teamwork is more than just smacking someone, I lprefer sports with teamwork than grandstanding overpaid jerks.

And even so, good athletes make their activity look a lot more difficult than it is.

But then I'm even impressed by Pro Wrestling. If you told me some 200 pound dude who's a total steroid case was going to climb to the top of the ropes, do a backflip and land on my chest.... without paralyzing either one of us in the process...

I dont care how much the floor of the ring is spring-loaded or how choreographed the scenerio is... that takes skill, training and practice and a high pain tolerance.

ernene

Post by ernene » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 pm

beats me wrote:I do agree playing sports and exercising is a good thing, but getting all wound up over other people doing it I just don't get at all.
+1

I love running, even if lastly, the time I have for my own, I spend it with my wife or with Live...
I should lose this 10 kgs extra I got siting in front of the computer :wink:

Anyway, I never understood what's so beautiful about watching 22 guys running after a ball... never could...

laird

Post by laird » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:08 pm

...but follow statistics, get obsessed, etc.. etc..

i know where you are coming from.

PS, you should ask a bear that last question.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:12 pm

I grew up playing sports and still play lots of golf, some basketball and I'm a major fan of leisure sports like Foosball

I was a ball boy for the Sonics for 2 years and got intimately involved in pro sports (i.e. going / watching / and kicking it at major sporting events)

actually I'm more of an all around sports fan but I don't have favorites and I'm not the die hard Seahawks fan I should be

I watch NBA basketball, college basketball, football and golf pretty regularly (when it's on) because

1) I don't want to be out of the 'know'
2) It's exciting sometimes (esp college hoops)
3) I think pro athletes are pretty amazing at what they do
4) I watch hella tv so why wouldn't I
5) I love 'Inside the NFL' and 'Real Sports w/ Bryant Gumbel'

but back to your original point, I was having this conversation with someone special and we both asked the question

"what's the deal with these die hard sports fans?"

and we came up with the conclusions

some people live for sports. they work all week and they do sporting events the way some people club (follow dj's etc) - it's what they do.

in seattle some of our tax dollars go towards our sports stadiums / teams so some of us feel they have a ownership type thing with their sports teams

so...yeah, plus sports just fill a very vital need for some people (recreation)

go Patriots!
Last edited by djadonis206 on Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ableton | Elektron

Music

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:14 pm

laird wrote: But then I'm even impressed by Pro Wrestling. If you told me some 200 pound dude who's a total steroid case was going to climb to the top of the ropes, do a backflip and land on my chest....
Whats the difference between a 200 pound steroid and a 200 pound Macdonald's fan?

substance_g

Post by substance_g » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 pm

What are the odds that someone on a sports forum is wondering what the deal is with musicians. At the end of it it's just a bunch of dudes making noises, twisting knobs, or pumping their fists in the air ;-)

Seriously, I know what you mean, but for me it only applies to US sports. I just can't get into American Football, baseball, basketball. I can't even appreciate the athleticism involved.

Maybe you just need the right sport. The Rugby 6 Nations starts on Saturday. That's what you need :D

MBP-Live7-Oxygen8-Ultralite-UC33e-WaldorfPulse

adventurepants_

Re: Anybody else NOT a sports fan?

Post by adventurepants_ » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:20 pm

beats me wrote:I've tried but I really don't get it. At the end of it it's just a bunch of dudes throwing, hitting, kicking, or passing a ball around. But day in and day out I bump into people that can't shut up about it and look at you with extreme confusion when you couldn't give less of a shit about it thus ending any and all attempts for a conversation.

Anybody else feel this way?

Musicians seem to be about the only group of people that I can find other people that don't follow sports.
i so hear you. Living in Oz, and not really being interested in football or rugby, or more than a passing interest in cricket, I have almost no small talk to make witht the average guy at a backyard bbq.

"so what do you think of the new Autechre?"

*cough*

the funny thing is that sports nerds dont realise theyre nerds.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:21 pm

if you're going to watch anything on TV it might as well be REAL as opposed to bullshit sitcoms where the drama comes up and is resolved in a tidy FAKE resolution in 30 minutes and a laugh track to guide you to what's funny.

hard to explain, once you're into it, you're into it. you get to know one team, then their rival, then a few others, then some players. it's real drama, real struggles, real cause and effect played out by people who have been honing their skills their entire lives.

/fuck the Patriots. ;) Tom Brady's a tool, but a great Q-Back. Eli to choke, Pats win 49-12.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:27 pm

I don't get it either, and I'm super active. I run, mountain bike, snowboard, skateboard, backpack, etc, but hate traditional team sports. I don't understand people watching ANY type of sport on TV when you could rather be out doing it. Got into a huge argument once with a friend who said American Football players are the best athletes on the planet, even more so than Ironman triathletes.

I don't get it.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:28 pm

I've tried to make the sports and music comparison myself but I don't think they match exactly. Going to a club or concert might be comparible to going to a sporting event for some people but at the same time if my favorite DJs and bands were doing a live gig on TV 3 or 4 nights a week I wouldn't be watching it every damn night it was on or looking for other performers on TV when my favorites weren't on. I think people deeply involved in music spend more timing writing, practicing, and performing it than watching and listening to other people do it.

The world's favorite sport soccer (sorry football) is the one I get the least, hours of play with nobody ever scoring. American football can be ok if it wasn't 7 seconds of actual play followed by 10 minutes of analysis, replays, and commercials.