Automat 1.0 - AGAIN!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Winston

Automat 1.0 - AGAIN!

Post by Winston » Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:05 pm

I know we've all said how great automat is.

I was usually using and referring to V0.42 though, which is great enough. I hadn't really gotten too into V1.0 given that it's still beta and at first was a bit buggy. Just the odd tinkering to check out new features.

But man! I spend a good long while with it last night after downloading the latest beta (b22 now), and it is so much more beefed up from the last version, my god!

I was playing it side by side with some of my other VA's and I can honestly say that it can pretty much do them all. You can get a great minimoog sound from it, or a rippin' acid 303ish sound etc. So great at those dirty analog sounds.

I'm seriously considering selling my minimonsta now as I can basically get the same sound, only more variety. And automat is also putting ableton's analog to shame I would say.

Alphakanal is the shizzle!

And updates are continuously going up for this thing with little fixes and new features, so it's very worth checking constantly.

cheers
Last edited by Winston on Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:49 am, edited 5 times in total.

Winston

Post by Winston » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:40 pm

Just wanted to point out also the new mod2mod feature - you can now modulate the modulators! For example have an lfo change rate by an envelope. This was my only wish for this synth really, and now it's done!

Also, the new ladder filter is rippin'.

Now if only I could figure out how to set it to mono.... Doesn't seem to work. Anyone?

metafactor

Post by metafactor » Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:54 pm

Being able to run multiple instances without it glitching out would be a nice improvement.

For instance, when I have one Automat track playing and I am trying to record a second one at the same time, they both glitch like crazy. Is there a cure other than recording the first one into an audio track, so that only one instance is being used?

krank

Post by krank » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:22 pm

pieter

Post by pieter » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:27 pm

just downloaded automat.
where do i put the presets? only the factory presets appear in ableton.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:39 pm

I liked the architecture (signal path) of the 0.4 incarnations of Automat much better than the 1.0 architecture.
A pity that I won't be able to continue using 0.4.2 when I switch from PPC to Intel.

dcease

Post by dcease » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Winston wrote:Just wanted to point out also the new mod2mod feature - you can now modulate the modulators! For example have an lfo change rate by an envelope. This was my only wish for this synth really, and now it's done!

Now if only I could figure out how to set it to mono.... Doesn't seem to work. Anyone?
couldn't you use a utility? good report tho, huh? the warning scared me away from downloading...

tylenol

Post by tylenol » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:16 am

dr.wackler wrote:I liked the architecture (signal path) of the 0.4 incarnations of Automat much better than the 1.0 architecture.
A pity that I won't be able to continue using 0.4.2 when I switch from PPC to Intel.
0.4.2 is UB.

dr.wackler

Post by dr.wackler » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:10 am

tylenol wrote: 0.4.2 is UB.
8O

:D :D :D

Winston

Post by Winston » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:58 pm

dcease wrote:
Winston wrote:Just wanted to point out also the new mod2mod feature - you can now modulate the modulators! For example have an lfo change rate by an envelope. This was my only wish for this synth really, and now it's done!

couldn't you use a utility? good report tho, huh? the warning scared me away from downloading...
No, I mean mono as in 1 voice, not mono as in 'stereo vs. mono'.

Mono and legato modes don't seem to work. They both play poly.

dcease

Post by dcease » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:34 pm

Winston wrote:
dcease wrote:

No, I mean mono as in 1 voice, not mono as in 'stereo vs. mono'.

Mono and legato modes don't seem to work. They both play poly.
dur...!!! little sick yesterday, wasn't thinking right... tried, you are right..., however, if you turn the glide all the way up, it'll only play one note... just one...that's kinda mono right?=)

stiwi

Re: Automat 1.0 - AGAIN! (b22)

Post by stiwi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:01 pm

Winston wrote:Alphakanal is the shizzle!
Hi Winston. Thanks a lot.
Winston wrote:Now if only I could figure out how to set it to mono...
I disabled it because it crashed automat in mono mode. That's the last bug on my todo list.

Other things i wanted to do first before i finally release 1.0 is to

1. update the reverb section because it doesn't sound the way i wanted it

2. fix a ugly bug with live where when you use more than one instances of automat the sound gets all messed up. This only happens with live. All the other hosts out there seem to work fine.

Until then i will release a few more betas to get user feedback like in this thread. :-)

regards,

stiwi
Buzzer | Buzzer2 | Automat

stiwi

Post by stiwi » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:05 pm

dr.wackler wrote:I liked the architecture (signal path) of the 0.4 incarnations of Automat much better than the 1.0 architecture.
The automat version after the initial 1.0 release will have a few layout (signal path) switches. Then it should be possible to get a 0.4.2 layout.

Stay tuned for more things to come. :-)
Buzzer | Buzzer2 | Automat

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Hey Stiwi,

great to hear that mono/legato will work and that the multi-instance bug is being addressed!

Great job with the mod2mod feature too, that was the only thing I thought it really needed.

It's crazy how versatile this beauty is (does a great minimoog), and the cpu usage is quite low. Looking forward to the final release of 1.0!

cheers

Winston

Post by Winston » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:36 pm

Also, Stiwi, did you notice the text boxes being messed up with the latest 1.0b23 beta? (I'm on 10.5.2). The text looks like weird little illegible symbols. I've also noticed in the past that when I tried using automat 0.4 with novations automap plug-in wrapper, that the text turned upside down in all of automats textboxes. I'm not sure if that's a concern for you, but I thought it was worth mentioning.

regards