THE FUTURE OF MIDI CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.

Do you agree with this idea?

YES, TOTALLY!
100%
NO
No votes

Total votes: 8

Debrecini

THE FUTURE OF MIDI CONTROLLER SUPPORT

Post by Debrecini » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:17 pm

This is a grand idea, simply the best thing for MIDI Controllers I've ever seen!

A system similar to Cakewalk Sonar 7 would be great... check out their MIDI ACT system.
It allows you to set up your MIDI controller with ACT once, then its saved.
Then you load up a each VST and assign your knobs / sliders to it once... Its then saved for future use.
This process is as easy as pressing the ACT LEARN button tweaking controls one by one on the controller.
Then tweaking an equal amount of controls in your VST, then BOOM... Its asigned & saved.
ACT works with what VST is in focus (when you click on a VST it is selected / in focus)

THE ULTIMATE SOLLUTION

Fast & Easy
Autamatically saves to preset
Works between projects
Works with any MIDI Controller
Will switch control to whatever VST is in focus Effect or Instrument instantaneously
Will control mixer levels & pan when no vst is in focus
Buttons can be mapped to show/hide windows & also transport controls...etc

Say you have some buttons on your MIDI controller, with the ACT system it is very quick & easy to set those buttons for anything you want. Any window (show/hide), undo, play, stop, record... any usefull control can be mapped quickly, then its automatically saved when you close the ACT window.

You wont beleive how quick it is to map a synth either like I said in my previous post.
Say you have 8 controls on the MIDI controller, just press ACT LEARN, tweak all controls 1 through to 8, then touch 8 controls on the synth (it will map the same order you tweaked your controller) 1 through to 8.

Then press ACT LEARN again and its done. You dont even have to save as preset, it does it for you! Next time you open the synth its mapped just the way you set it. Although you can still save different presets manually if you so wish...

Once this quick process is done simply bring up another VST in focus and repeat, it will automatically save that map too.

Just like that...

ACT is also in Cakewalk Project 5 but works the same in SONAR 7 the following is a link showing you how ACT works.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-SSYcJMJwyw

Heres another video which can show you better than I can explain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUZsxLJwYSM

And if you ever want to make it work like it does now then you can simply switch this system off. But this would be far better for studio use!

PLEASE VOTE NOW!

The Producer

Post by The Producer » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:52 pm

BUMPETITY BUMP

That gets my vote!

SMART IDEA

This would be great for Live 8, if only...

Philippe_Michael

Post by Philippe_Michael » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:26 am

nice and slick

Gravis

Post by Gravis » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:10 pm

This would make every controller just sooo much more useful!
iMac G5 2.16 | Echo AudioFire12 | Xone 92 | Live 8 + M4L | Trigger Finger | Monome 256 | Kenton Killamix Mini | Truth 3031A

XVampireX

Post by XVampireX » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:24 pm

There's the CME midi controller series which offer a mackie control universal standard so that when you use cubase, you use the u-ctrl A mode (I've seen it in the vx introduction video) and it automatically sets everything up for you...

That's much better than having to set everything yourself, no?