traditional dj set in ableton

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
obstacle02

traditional dj set in ableton

Post by obstacle02 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:18 am

alright, i recently have been very interested in djing, but i want to do traditional djing, as i dont have the patience to do something like cutting up each song into it's different parts to creat a new mix. i want to do something like the traditional dj set, just using ableton instead of turntables or some other program, because, honestly, it's all i got. well, ableton and a sweet novation remote sl, which would probably look really goofy to be djing with...

so, can anyone suggest a good midi controller for this? i have looked into a couple actual dj mixers that allow midi, but they are hella expensive. can anyone suggest an inexpensive one?

if not, can you suggest a good alternate setup?

i have also thought briefly about possibly getting a regular analog mixer, a small midi controller, and using the midi controller to cue clips, and sending each "deck" in ableton to a separate input of the mixer and using it as a standard dj setup, only with virtual turntables and no beat matching :P can anyone give me any help along those lines?

i know you're wondering why i dont just go buy some cheap turntables, a mixer and Serato, and trust me, i'm workin' on it. this is just for now.

oh, also, if you think i really WOULD be better off getting real turntables and a mixer, or something, please tell me, 'cause i'm really looking for any input.

UKRuss

Post by UKRuss » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:46 am

If you're just looking to do A/B mixing then you are missing out on Live's strengths IMO. Butu that's no reason to dash off and spend mroe cash.

if Abes is what you have then it'll do just fine.

The UC33e is a very popular and cheap(if you can still find one) controller for DJing with Live.

You can also nip over to www.abletonlivedj.com for some mroe direct DJing with Live advice.

snakedogman

Post by snakedogman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:46 am

Faderfox LC2, or DJ2

or a 2nd hand LV-1

Or just buy a regular DJ-mixer and run live into it with multiple outputs.

obstacle02

Post by obstacle02 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:04 pm

yeah, i've looked into the uc33e before because, really, it is quite popular for ableton. but still, it doesn't have a good crossfader! those things that snakedogman posted are pretty cool. maybe i'll get one of those for the crossfader, and a uc33e for effects and stuff. what do you think about that?

Boo

Post by Boo » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:00 pm

An X-Session Evolution aka M-Audio X-Session is VERY nice for Live puroposes if you're on a budget.

Problem is that is quite a collector, so hard to find. I got mine at www.minidisc.ca . As far as I know is still available.

The fader feels really good.

I also heard good things of the Bitstream 3X but the fader is smaller and it costs 3 times the X-Session...

vinkalmann

Post by vinkalmann » Fri Feb 15, 2008 6:06 pm

Aside from the size, the Remote SL is a great controller! It's got the same controls as the Remote SL Zero which is fast becoming one of the most popular second tier controllers. First tier controllers would be the UC33e as mentioned and the ever popular Behringer BCR 2000.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry too much about a cross fader. *Most* people DJing with Ableton or a traditional mixer don't even use the crossfader, instead using the volume faders to control track levels.

If you're just jumping in, look at either the UC33e or the Behringer BCR 2000. Both are between $100 -200 (with the BCR being cheaper). Both have their strengths over the other. If you can afford the $250 -300 the Novation Remote Sl Zero is a great controller.
[Guide to Mixing in Arrangement View^][Guide to Warping in Ableton Live^]

michaellpenman

Post by michaellpenman » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:13 pm

its pritty lazy doing a mix in live.
it has gave such possibilties in loop based much you should take full advantage of this... to see the full extent that can be achieved, you only have to listen to Richie Hawtin DE9 Transtions CD.

lipidfish

Post by lipidfish » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:38 pm

I've used the M-Audio X-Session Pro. It's got a cheap feel to it, but it'll do the trick.

Also, I've found that for simple A-B mixing, Native Instruments' Traktor DJ Studio is a better fit. Although once you get into looping, beat matching & such, Live suddenly becomes the tool of choice.

obstacle02

Post by obstacle02 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:53 am

lipidfish wrote:I've used the M-Audio X-Session Pro. It's got a cheap feel to it, but it'll do the trick.

Also, I've found that for simple A-B mixing, Native Instruments' Traktor DJ Studio is a better fit. Although once you get into looping, beat matching & such, Live suddenly becomes the tool of choice.
yeah, i downloaded a... um... payed for traktor, it seems really sweet, and i may start using that more.
Boo wrote:An X-Session Evolution aka M-Audio X-Session is VERY nice for Live puroposes if you're on a budget.

Problem is that is quite a collector, so hard to find. I got mine at www.minidisc.ca . As far as I know is still available.

I also heard good things of the Bitstream 3X but the fader is smaller and it costs 3 times the X-Session...
wow, that thing looks ballin'. in fact, i'm gonna shop around for one of those, now. always good to keep adding to my midi arsenal.

michaellpenman wrote:its pritty lazy doing a mix in live.
it has gave such possibilties in loop based much you should take full advantage of this... to see the full extent that can be achieved, you only have to listen to Richie Hawtin DE9 Transtions CD.
i know, i know, but honestly, i have no idea where to even start with that kind of thing. also, a lot of songs have reverb and whatnot that carries over, and i would have no idea where to break those things. also, i'd probably be playing electro-house stuff, which i sorta feel is pretty much perfect the way the artist made it, and i dont have enough good personal stuff to start doing shows of just my work. and plus, how do you really improve upon something like the bloody beetroots? haha

elektrodisiac

Post by elektrodisiac » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:07 pm

Boo wrote:An X-Session Evolution aka M-Audio X-Session is VERY nice for Live puroposes if you're on a budget.

I also have this....works great for a "traditional" DJ mixer, plus you get all those sweet midi triggers..

-for the price...VERY NICE
myspace.com/elektrodisiacmusic

elektrodisiac

Post by elektrodisiac » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:08 pm

forgot.....I ordered mine 4 months ago from

www.guitarcenter.com

or try

www.musiciansfriend.com

obstacle02

Post by obstacle02 » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:05 pm

i think it's now definitely a toss-up between the uc33e and that evolution x session. (on a side note, that new x-session pro sucks balls. i wish they had gone in a different direction with that.) I've been doing some thinking and i really need something with a lot of knobs so i can use a bunch of different effects. plus, i already do have the remote 25 sl, which would make me look pretty goofy doing a live set with a keyboard, but i've seen videos of others doing it, and it's not too bad.

can anyone give me any swaying evidence one way or another?

edit: aside from the fact that i cant find the x session anywhere!! i found this one shady-looking "used & new" dealer through amazon... anybody think i should go for it?

elektrodisiac

Post by elektrodisiac » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:28 pm

Damn...i Just got mine a couple months ago..

check this place

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.as ... DJ-Surface

Amazon is straight but buy only a new product , unopended. Check the sellers % to make sure they are recommened

obstacle02

Post by obstacle02 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 7:43 pm

elektrodisiac wrote:Damn...i Just got mine a couple months ago..

check this place

http://www.bananas.com/productdetail.as ... DJ-Surface

Amazon is straight but buy only a new product , unopended. Check the sellers % to make sure they are recommened
sweet, thanks man! i think i'm going with that over the uc33e. thanks guys!

selthym

Post by selthym » Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:03 am

I would just stick to the SL... Who cares what you look like? When playing a set most people won't even look at the controller.

Keep in mind that you can use your compueters QWERTY to trigger clips and turn on/off loops and effects. Maybe get an old Keyboard and stick coloured stickers over the keys for triggering clips and use the rotaries and faders on the SL for filters & Highs, Mids, Lows controlls.