Harware Samplers - anyone still rock them?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aticatac

Re: Harware Samplers - anyone still rock them?

Post by aticatac » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:01 pm

I own two samplers, both of them very interesting for different applications. I agree that it's a lot faster to work with software samplers,you cut out a part from a wave file,drop it into simpler or shortcircuit vst for example and in a matter of seconds you are adding new parts to your song. As far as I'm concerned using hardware samplers is where the fun begins. Spending a little more time on sound design yields unpredictable and very interesting results. The character these samplers add to the sound is worth the investment too. And finally, now they are very cheap second hand, so if you have a little extra space in your room maybe you should consider them.

I bought my Roland S760 for a little more than 100 euros, with the op760 board installed + a zip drive to store my patches. This machine has some great quality filters, very creamy sounding ones. Really add character to the sound. My E6400ultra was bought for 300 euros with an installed HD, SCSI card, cables, zip drives, Sound ROM. It has a very easy to use operating system, and the sound is splendid. Lots of people praise the EMU filters, though I like the LPF of S760 better. But here you get some unique vocal filters, phasers and a nice sounding HPF. Also great feature is the "transform multiplication" or Xmult where two sounds can be combined harmonically and while the results are unpredictable, I often get some nice glassy digital type sounds, beautiful. Besides these, one day I intend to buy an older 12bit Akai, either the 900 or the 950 or an EMAX I.

Carl Lofgren

Post by Carl Lofgren » Tue Sep 21, 2010 7:19 pm

snakes and ladders wrote:I'm thinking about getting an EMU - e4xtultra> I heard my friends Emu and it sounded amazing -
Weird! I was also thinking the same thing the other day. An EMU E4XT Ultra.

/C
PLUGHUGGER - deep music tech review blog - www.plughugger.com

aticatac

Post by aticatac » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:01 am

Weird! I was also thinking the same thing the other day. An EMU E4XT Ultra.

/C
Get it if you can find one. It has all the options installed if I am not mistaken. You can also connect a pc keyboard to it, so it saves time when naming samples, presets. I run EOSlink through SCSI to do that.

casiblake

Post by casiblake » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:09 am

Okay I'm going to hijack the thread for a moment.

Anyone in the UK wants a Yamaha A5000 in slightly worn but totally working condition - 64MB RAM, 20GB hard disk and a ZIP drive - make me an offer!

It has truly excellent kinda-modular effects routing, and a staggering "sample oscillator" structure that allows for a lot of possibilities. But I simply don't have space for it any more.

Serious sale, PM me if interested.
-- Blake Casimir : Melodic Space Techno / Electro / Ambient Galaxies --
Bandcamp Orbital Station / Soundcloud Nebula / Warp Portal Homepage

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Anyone sampling reasons kong sounds into your hardware? Then sample back into reason?

Forget about it

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Wed Oct 13, 2010 5:01 pm

v00d00ppl wrote:Anyone sampling reasons kong sounds into your hardware? Then sample back into reason?

Forget about it

What is your meaning?

as for me, I have been going hardware sampler crazy.

in the last couple of months I have purchased
Akai mpc 2000
Akai mpc 2000xl
Akai S3000xl
Akai S2800
Ensoniq ASR-X-PRO
Yamaha RS7000
Roland W30
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Oct 14, 2010 12:13 am

lord toranaga wrote:
v00d00ppl wrote:Anyone sampling reasons kong sounds into your hardware? Then sample back into reason?

Forget about it

What is your meaning?

as for me, I have been going hardware sampler crazy.

in the last couple of months I have purchased
Akai mpc 2000
Akai mpc 2000xl
Akai S3000xl
Akai S2800
Ensoniq ASR-X-PRO
Yamaha RS7000
Roland W30

i was tired that day lord.

What I was trying to say was sampling the synthesized drum sounds from reason's kong into my EPS just blew my mind away. Then after I resampled it into reason and built kits based on that.

Seriously, I envy you especially since you came up on the ASR-X pro for 160 right? I remember reading that on the mpc forums. I've been eyeing one for a while now and since I live so close to thesoniq , I can get it serviced quickly and for a good price. Oh well, I will just have to be patient.

lord toranaga

Post by lord toranaga » Thu Oct 14, 2010 1:48 am

the price goes in waves.

the price starts creeping down, then some one, like me gets one for less than $200..

then the price starts creeping back up.

good idea on the kong resampling.
I have not upgraded my reason license yet, been spending too much money on samplers.

still on live 7 also
Peace & Love, Lord Toranaga

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Thu Oct 14, 2010 2:53 am

I soley produce all my drums on my electribe ES-1 MKII

it is single audio output...so I make a beat i like, then solo each drum part into a seperate audio track in ableton

all drums are sampled from ableton>edirol fa-101>electribe.....i was painstakingly adding samples to a smart media card...but realised i like the grit that comes with resampling samples....not to mention less than precise sample cutting creates easier groove.

Hardware till i die

http://soundcloud.com/trypset/trypset-10810-wip

newest work
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

condra

Post by condra » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:23 am

I had an AKAI MPC 2000 XL and I hated it.

Would consider a Boss 303 some time for fun.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Live is already a sampler in a sampler in a sampler, etc.

:roll:

v00d00ppl

Post by v00d00ppl » Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:56 am

condra wrote:I had an AKAI MPC 2000 XL and I hated it.

Would consider a Boss 303 some time for fun.

That's all I have to say on the matter. Live is already a sampler in a sampler in a sampler, etc.

:roll:
what did you not like about the 2000xl?

condra

Post by condra » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:27 am

The unit was huge. It didn't integrate well into my setup. The operating system sucked, the LcD screen was tiny, the pads weren't very responsive. It felt like servicing a cash register just to chop up a 2 bar break.

The sound didn't have any of the alleged magical properties either. It was just a bit rough.

Not for me at all. I just don't get hard for antiquated digital equipment.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Oct 14, 2010 11:19 am

I think the mpc series are all great in their various formfactors and imho the 2xl feels great and responsive, did you ever have your machine serviced maybe there was an issue of some sort if it wasn't as responsive as this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jLWHKS02LI