MIDI OUT to different Channels within one Track

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
mok

MIDI OUT to different Channels within one Track

Post by mok » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Guys,

i was wondering it is possible to send MIDI notes from different Clips within one Track to different Channels, in my case to Reaktor.

I would like to do play different Synths in one Reaktor Instance. So i thought the easiest way would be sending from Clip 1 on chan. 1 to synth 1, and later from clip 2 on chan. 2 to synth 2...
i know i could do it with an instrument rack with multiple instances of reaktor and the chain selector, but this uses too much CPU... also i could place each clip on a different midi track and route the signal to reaktor; but isn´t it possible to change the midi-out-channel in each clip?

thanks & cheers,
m4rk

honsey

Post by honsey » Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:40 pm

i'd suggest to check out the banks/programchange thing within the clips. maybe you can set up your reaktorensemble in a way to handle that.

otherwise you'll have to hack something for reaktor. somekind of midi-mixer, that will route the incoming midi to the right synthesizer. then you can automate it via envelopes…

mok

Post by mok » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:49 pm

i think the bank/subbank/programmchanges are only for switching between soundbanks, presets. they can not be used to select or switch midichannels to play on... or am i wrong?

i think the only way in Live to use several reaktor-synths is use multiple instances of reaktor and chain-selection...

but if anyone knows how to setup a midimixer in reaktor so i could automate this from live i would be glad to learn this!!!! ;-)

cheers, mark

ewistrand

Post by ewistrand » Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:09 am

There isn't any reason why you can't use multiple MIDI channels going to the same uberensemble.

Here's a quick one using two ensembles. Stereomob's on channel 1, and Amphitryon's on channel 2 (set the receive channel in the last page of the instrument's properties):

ew

mok

Post by mok » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:08 am

Hi,
thanks for the example!
this is the way i already set it up, but what i wanted was sending midi notes from clips in ONE track to different channels... in your example every instrument takes it´s own track, so if i use 10 different instruments in one ensemble i have to manage 10 miditracks in Live to send the notes to the right channels...
well, but it seems like this is the only way to do it...

cheers, mark

TimeMachine

Post by TimeMachine » Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:35 pm

You could perhaps insert a new midi track, set input to first midi track and designate out to reaktor channel2... monitor in.
We need a native midi utility.