MIDI Pads: Korg vs. Akai

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Smellhound

MIDI Pads: Korg vs. Akai

Post by Smellhound » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:39 am

Does anyone own a Kontrol 49 or MicroKontrol? I am trying to find a decent midi controller with built in pads that are sensitive enough for programming beats on the fly. From the looks of the videos of the PadKontrol, Korg has made them very sensitive...does anyone know if those are the same pads that are included on the Kontrol 49?

I thought the Akai MPK49 was the one to go with because they make the MPC, but I think that was a bad assumption. I got one in the mail today and I'm guessing the pads are worn out (it was refurbished) because they need to be pounded to trigger notes. Even with the sensitivity is all the way up they are pretty useless for programming delicate beats.

condra

Post by condra » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:46 am

Worn out?

Hmm not sure. I dont have an MPD/C but most pads Ive played with were tough at first, and needed a little wear to "soften them up". The pads on my Axiom needed to be sledge-hammered at first but have warmed up some in the last year.

I suspect a couple of weeks of bashing them will soon sort it out.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:52 am

interesting...has any one else had the same experience?

i'd hate to commit to this thing if it turns out they never get better. there is a video on youtube of a guy demonstrating the korg padkontrol and he barely has to touch each pad for it to trigger....i kind of doubt those needed pounding to get that way.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:07 am

chalkline

Post by chalkline » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:59 am

i have the padKontrol, and there was never an issue with the pads on this, very touch sensitive, no wearing in at all.
It seems strange that you have to wear in midi velocity pads to me, doesn't seem right.

Cone

Post by Cone » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:55 am

My impression is that the padKONTROL pads are much more sensitive than those on the microKONTROL or Kontrol 49. Never used a pK, but I have an mK, and the pads are small and pretty stiff, you need to hit them pretty hard, and they haven't really softened over time (too little use, maybe).

That video, and the stuff some genius people on this forum have made, make me want a padKONTROL so bad. And the XY pad, too.
MacBook (Late 2006), iMac 21.5" (Late 2009), Mac OS X 10.6.4 // Ableton Suite 8.2 // KORG microKONTROL & padKONTROL // Saffire PRO 24 DSP // ESI nEAR 05 monitors // Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs cans.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:14 am

at this point i'm leaning towards just getting a Padkontrol and a cheap keyboard. i think the only other line of midi controllers that comes with pads on the keyboard is M Audio...does anyone want to vouch for one of those?

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:16 am

scratch that, Novation has one too...anyone own that?

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:35 pm

Smellhound wrote:at this point i'm leaning towards just getting a Padkontrol and a cheap keyboard. i think the only other line of midi controllers that comes with pads on the keyboard is M Audio...does anyone want to vouch for one of those?
The Axiom pads blow, as somebody pointed out above. If I had to do it again I would get the nicest pad controller I could and a very compact keyboard instead trying to get an all in one unit. I would either get padkontrol and a keyboard that has faders on it or the mpd32 and a bare bones keyboard. (Not sure how sensitive the mpd pads are vs padkontrol). Plus the pad controller is all I need for many of my gigs (triggering backing tracks and the changes to accompany my tenor pan) and it sux to have to bring the axiom.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

theextravaganttraveller

Post by theextravaganttraveller » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:23 pm

If you are looking for sensitivity, check out the Roland Handsonics. Side-by-side with any pad controller, this things obliterates them. Of course, they are a pretty penny, but you get what you paid for.

I also have an MPD16 which serves me well for certain kinds of programming, especially once I changed out the stiff rubber pad sheet with the softer MPC2500 replacement sheet.

You might also want to check out the STC1000 by Mercurial Innovations, it's basically a touch pad midi controller (~$250) which can be configured as a multi-zone pecussion controller. Seems very sensitive, but only single touch input. I think they may have been discontinued recently though.....

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:34 pm

does that softer sheet make them more sensitive or just easier to pound?

dave999z

Re: MIDI Pads: Korg vs. Akai

Post by dave999z » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:53 pm

Smellhound wrote:I thought the Akai MPK49 was the one to go with because they make the MPC, but I think that was a bad assumption. I got one in the mail today and I'm guessing the pads are worn out (it was refurbished) because they need to be pounded to trigger notes. Even with the sensitivity is all the way up they are pretty useless for programming delicate beats.
My MPK49 (purchased new) is the same way. Kind of frustrating. Not what I expected. You can't just "tap" the pad - you get nothing. You have to hit it really hard, or have your fingers already on it and then suddenly press in really hard. Seems like the spring is just incredibly tight. Maybe they'll loosen up? But I kind of doubt it.

dredd i knight

Post by dredd i knight » Sun Apr 27, 2008 1:10 am

i have a padkontrol and the pads are really good.
a friend of mine got the mpd24 and found them too stiff so i think they're always like that, also they're not quite mpc pads but "like" them which doesn't inspire confidence. the mpd32 on the other hand is looking relly good; it has genuine mpc pads, 8 endless rotaries and 8 sliders plus note repeat (for doiing rolls etc) and a transport bar for less mouse work.
i'd go for that or the padkontrol if i were you...
the novation remote sl and edirol pcr series' have drum pads, but neither are that good although i hear the pads on the novation copact sl are meant to be ok.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sun Apr 27, 2008 8:57 pm

yep, definitely feel duped by Akai. I just went to Guitar Center and tried out some MPC pads. Not even close. What's more, they have a drum machine that has even softer pads. I reeeally want an all in one unit but it seems like there aren't any out there that are quality. At least the MPK looks bad ass I guess.

Smellhound

Post by Smellhound » Sun Apr 27, 2008 9:02 pm

dredd i knight wrote: the novation remote sl and edirol pcr series' have drum pads, but neither are that good although i hear the pads on the novation copact sl are meant to be ok.
Those are velocity sensitive? Does anyone own one?