Are we done with Disco on the wedding ciruit yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
beats me

Are we done with Disco on the wedding ciruit yet?

Post by beats me » Sun May 04, 2008 2:56 am

I'm DJing a friend's wedding tomorrow. I've reached the point with these gigs where I instantly say yes but about 2 minutes later I'm thinking ah crap, not fun (although more fun than just being a regular guest I suppose). I'm so not up to date on the latest commercial music but I can quickly find some hits.

But is 70's Disco still being spun at these things? It's had like a 30 year run of being The wedding music. The last time I did a friend's wedding about a year ago the old school rap and hip hop went over really well but I still got the requests from the old folks to play 70's Disco. I used to love that stuff but now I'm pretty bored with it.

What have been your experiences recently as either a guest or DJ at a wedding? The age of the bride and groom and their friends is going to be 30-something.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun May 04, 2008 3:47 am

can't you just ask them what they want to hear? I didn't have any disco at my wedding
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun May 04, 2008 3:50 am

Can't Beat (s me) 70's disco music at a wedding, oh yeah, get some of that Nile and Bernard Chic groove going on. Good Times.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

beats me

Post by beats me » Sun May 04, 2008 4:31 am

I did ask them and all I got was Lynard Skynyrd and David Bowie, so um yeah. When you do weddings people just assume you have all the goods and I do have all the 70's funk/disco music.

2 other points is this will be a day time wedding and on a Sunday. It will be over before the sun goes down, most likely not a lot of dancing will be going on. I was originally just going to half ass it and use itunes on my laptop to make down tempo/lounge playlists for background music which they were fine with, but then I realized I would be bored off my ass.

Also I won't be drinking because it's an hour drive. I already have 1 DUI on my record and there is a staggering amount of people that get their second (or more) DUI returning home from a wedding and just had a couple beers.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun May 04, 2008 5:17 am

beats me wrote:I did ask them and all I got was Lynard Skynyrd and David Bowie, so um yeah. When you do weddings people just assume you have all the goods and I do have all the 70's funk/disco music.

2 other points is this will be a day time wedding and on a Sunday. It will be over before the sun goes down, most likely not a lot of dancing will be going on. I was originally just going to half ass it and use itunes on my laptop to make down tempo/lounge playlists for background music which they were fine with, but then I realized I would be bored off my ass.

Also I won't be drinking because it's an hour drive. I already have 1 DUI on my record and there is a staggering amount of people that get their second (or more) DUI returning home from a wedding and just had a couple beers.
yeah, the misconception that 2 beers is still legal to drive has gotten alot of my friends in trouble. EVERYONE used to think "you're still legal if you've only had 2 beers" I don't know how that started.
I had a buddy that got a dui and he didn't even feel the slightest effects of alchohol, he had 2 beers over several hours
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

hacktheplanet

Post by hacktheplanet » Sun May 04, 2008 6:42 am

I pledge to have my wedding music 100% disco in spite of this thread.

Kozak

Post by Kozak » Sun May 04, 2008 9:38 am

The wedding of my niche (female version of a nephew?) was a techno party on the beach where everyone had to wear white clothing. Pretty neat huh?
Ableton Live 7.0.2 / Keyboard / Mouse

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Sun May 04, 2008 9:57 am

Play some death metal.

Won't be boring...

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun May 04, 2008 10:39 am

one of the conditions i gave to my mrs when we got married was that i had to have merzbow playing when we made our vows. that was as musical as our wedding got

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sun May 04, 2008 7:47 pm

slatepipe wrote:one of the conditions i gave to my mrs when we got married was that i had to have merzbow playing when we made our vows. that was as musical as our wedding got
you're not serious... what track?

hambone1

Post by hambone1 » Sun May 04, 2008 8:02 pm

When you've got a typical wedding reception crowd aged 8-80, nothing works better than classic disco!

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Sun May 04, 2008 10:39 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
slatepipe wrote:one of the conditions i gave to my mrs when we got married was that i had to have merzbow playing when we made our vows. that was as musical as our wedding got
you're not serious... what track?

about 3 minutes of spiral honey.

ironwill2000

Post by ironwill2000 » Sun May 04, 2008 11:18 pm

Don't forget - Baby Got Back, Vanilla Ice, Chicken Song, Macarena, Wind Beneath My Wings and line dances... all played at every wedding I have been to in the last few years. LOL
Last edited by ironwill2000 on Mon May 05, 2008 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

arctic ranger

Post by arctic ranger » Sun May 04, 2008 11:22 pm

those old jive bunny megamix things are super crap, but super popular as well.
mpb c2d, remote sl, mpc1000, korg legacy, zebra 2, phoscyon, devastator

http://soundcloud.com/enrock/first-edit

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Mon May 05, 2008 1:15 am

this thread is scaring me..

i think i'll go hang out in feature requests all day now