The Covert Operators: Junk Deluxe competition

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
hoffman2k

The Covert Operators: Junk Deluxe competition

Post by hoffman2k » Thu May 08, 2008 12:15 am

We want to give away stuff. A lot of stuff.

But, as in life, there are (nearly!) no free rides, unless you know someone who knows someone. That's why the Coverts in-charge have decided on a... competition! YAY!
Whoever wins gets our ENTIRE catalogue of work!

1st Prize: Every single product released by The Covert Operators to date - worth roughly 300 euro!

2nd and 3rd prizes: 50 euros worth of glorious sounds of your choice.

What we want from you is simple:

• Download our new FREE pack, called Junk Deluxe
• Play around with it in Live
• Make a roughly 1-minute track using only the sounds found in the pack
• Send an mp3 junk@covops.org before monday the 26th of May
http://www.covops.org/index.php/Latest/ ... ition.html

The Rules:

3rd party instruments, sounds or effects are not allowed but Resampling is allowed.
The winning tracks will be made available under a public license.

We're looking for unique skills – the best programming, sound design, humour or just mad chops could get the goose. Stacks and stacks of files for ya.

- The Covert Operators
Last edited by hoffman2k on Sun May 11, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 4 times in total.

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Thu May 08, 2008 1:00 am

nice

i shall give it a whirl on my new gorgeous macbook 8)

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 08, 2008 1:27 am

dave dominey wrote:nice

i shall give it a whirl on my new gorgeous macbook 8)
Wicked, man!
Deadline is on the 26th!
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Thu May 08, 2008 2:18 am

thanks!!, bee messing around. why don't the samples play unless i ahve midi turned on on the track??? this mean i can only play one track with that drum rack and th samples, cus i have to have midi arm on in order to hear the samples being played in the clip... please some help :)

arachnaut

Post by arachnaut » Thu May 08, 2008 2:20 am

Just to clarify some points:

1) we are to use only the Junk Deluxe drum rack as our sound source, or can we use other sounds as well?

2) Use only the allowed sounds plus any and all Live effects in as many tracks/sends as we like? We can expand the drum rack into individual channels and modify each with effects?

3) What about VST effects (Reaktor, etc).

4) The final mix is to be sent as a Live set, MP3 file, or ?

5) 1 minute in length +/- a few seconds - what is the min/max allowed length?

6) Date is relative to what time zone?

7) Can we modify the drum rack at all? Convert Simpler to Sampler, for example, and change the Sampler settings?

7+1) One submission per person max? [ 8 + ) = 8)]

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Thu May 08, 2008 2:47 am

is noone else having this problem. i cant play more then one track with the drum rack, cuz i have to have midi turned on in order to hear the sounds :S. whats wrong here???

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu May 08, 2008 2:57 am

A&B - there are those really annoying mac only files in the zip archive, us PC guys will have to manually pick out the files because Windows won't deal with those files. can you remove them for future users?
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Atomikat

Post by Atomikat » Thu May 08, 2008 3:28 am

Tone...I think is a Mac only competition... :D

Just kidding... :wink:

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Thu May 08, 2008 4:24 am

arachnaut wrote:Just to clarify some points:

1) we are to use only the Junk Deluxe drum rack as our sound source, or can we use other sounds as well?

2) Use only the allowed sounds plus any and all Live effects in as many tracks/sends as we like? We can expand the drum rack into individual channels and modify each with effects?

7) Can we modify the drum rack at all? Convert Simpler to Sampler, for example, and change the Sampler settings?

7+1) One submission per person max? [ 8 + ) = 8)]

excellent questions. was wondering what were allowed to use.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 08, 2008 4:29 am

arachnaut wrote:Just to clarify some points:
first of all, thanks: We will update all these in the info today.
ONLY those sounds... geez, can't believe we missed that. Does it show that this is our first time?!? (is it even?)
abso-duppety-lutely.
Nope. Live-only, to level the playing field. Processing through Sampler is alright, though.
mp3, with the ability to provide a Live set to show the process.
We're not that strict. For you: 50-70 seconds.
lol, CET, if you need it :D
yes and yes.

7+1) One submission per person max? [ 8 + ) = 8)][/quote]as many as you want - you'll be judged on your best, lol!

Thanks for your input - relevant info will be updated to reflect the changes today.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 08, 2008 4:32 am

DjViral wrote:is noone else having this problem. i cant play more then one track with the drum rack, cuz i have to have midi turned on in order to hear the sounds :S. whats wrong here???
probably related to the monitor settings in the track. feel free to start a new midi track and drag the rack over if you want, as per the above post.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 08, 2008 4:33 am

Tone Deft wrote:A&B - there are those really annoying mac only files in the zip archive, us PC guys will have to manually pick out the files because Windows won't deal with those files. can you remove them for future users?
gah, sorry mate. We actually "finalize" our zips on pc specifically for this reason. Will fix this right now.

EDIT: didn't find any of those files on this double-check. And I am on pc as well. Winrar doesn't pop up any errors at all.

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu May 08, 2008 4:53 am

I once spent $20 trying to win my girl a $10 stuffed animal. Since then I no longer compete for prizes.

Very cool that you guys are doing this though. I hope you post the track by the winner and maybe some runner-ups. What would Trent do?

DjViral

Post by DjViral » Thu May 08, 2008 4:54 am

Machinate wrote:
DjViral wrote:is noone else having this problem. i cant play more then one track with the drum rack, cuz i have to have midi turned on in order to hear the sounds :S. whats wrong here???
probably related to the monitor settings in the track. feel free to start a new midi track and drag the rack over if you want, as per the above post.
thanks, all working fine.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Thu May 08, 2008 4:58 am

beats me wrote:I once spent $20 trying to win my girl a $10 stuffed animal. Since then I no longer compete for prizes.

Very cool that you guys are doing this though. I hope you post the track by the winner and maybe some runner-ups. What would Trent do?
Yeah, I've played the lottery for like 10 dollars and won 5. Yipee. :roll: I hate that, that's why this is allllllll free.

And yeah, we will continually update a player on our site, so that people can keep tabs on the process.