Midi clock out very laggy

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
quickandbrite

Midi clock out very laggy

Post by quickandbrite » Mon May 26, 2008 5:38 pm

Hi,

Simple setup: Ableton sends midiclock to a drummachine (machindrum in this case)

Problem: timing is not only off (this could be easily fixed with the midi delay compensation) it look like there is an initial clock start + tempo signal, after a few bars, the drummachine slowly but certainly is taking its own route.

Normally any latency could be avoided with the correct midi setting, also my sample buffer size is set to minimum. Still this problem occurs. I can only get a solid sync if the drummachine is the master, BUT Ableton still sends a lousy clock to my other externals (like the Nord2 arpeggio). I tried the 'pattern' and 'song' settings for the clock out, but to no avail.

I'd love to run Ableton as a master in my setup, but this just isn't workable for me unless someone has a fix for it...

quickandbrite

Post by quickandbrite » Mon May 26, 2008 5:41 pm

ps: im running 7.03

roby

Post by roby » Tue May 27, 2008 9:18 pm

I actually had this problem a few months ago and I couldn't figure it out. Well, I also had a pretty annoying virus infection in my system that was causiing some problems overall. Anyway, after cleaning my machine, I got Live to sync to my Machinedrum and Monomachine perfectly. So I though, it was the virus.

BUT NOOOOO, no no no no...

After installing SP3 and Live 7.07 a few weeks ago, and trying to sync both machines to Live again last night, I got the same problem again. And my MID settings in Live haven't even changed from the last time it worked. I don't get it.

Like you described it, I had 9 bar loop and a simple Machinedrum pattern. When I hit play, everything sounds like it's synced, but it's not. Towards the end of the loop you can hear things start to drift. By the time the loop restarts, everything is completely out of synced. By the third loop repetition, it's even worst.

Another observation is that even though Live's bpm was set to 96, both Machinedrum and Monomachine's tempos read at approximately 10 bpm's higher (~104 to 106bpm!). Normally, and when syncing worked, the Machinedrum and Monomachine's tempo would read more or less the same bpm as Live (it would actually fluctuate + or - 1 beat per minute).

Anyway, like I said before, synced worked perfectly before. My MIDI settings haven't changed, I still have all my devices connected to my laptop, no change in delay compensations or latency or whatever.......... :?

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Wed May 28, 2008 11:45 am

dom

Post by dom » Wed May 28, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi quickandbrite,

can you check if this only happens as long as Live is looping?

Dom
ableton support team
support@ableton.com

roby

Post by roby » Wed May 28, 2008 3:33 pm

I actually did try to run the machines without looping. The drift in time still happens but not as fast as when looped. In other words the drift is gradual. If I play and arrangement of 16 bars, you can hear the drift kick in before it reaches the 9th bar. By the time it reaches the end of the 16th bar the drift is very noticeable.

With looping, if i have an 8 bar loop, you can hear the drift kick in before the end on the loop, but once it restarts again, the drift is very bad. By the third or 4th repetition, with the metronome on, you can hear the click play on the counter beat...

I tried my Machinedrum/Monomachine midi set up in REAPER and MIDI-OX and sync was perfect without changing anything.

I should mention that my Machinedrum and Monomachine are connected via the Elektron TM-1 interface. I will try to connect both machines to my audio interface's MIDI port instead.

quickandbrite

Post by quickandbrite » Thu May 29, 2008 5:16 pm

i tried different midi interfaces ( i have 3 from different manufacturers : midisport 2x2, maudio firewire, bcf2000) all with the same results. same findings when looped or not.

Also, I can't find any other 7 versions other then 7.07, so i'm stuck with a defunct studio :/

roby

Post by roby » Thu May 29, 2008 5:39 pm

hi, same here.
tried with my Echo Layla24, Axiom49 and nothing. same deal. :(

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Fri May 30, 2008 4:41 pm

ableton reported "investigating the issue":

http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=89217

meanwhile i'm back to 7.0.2, it's the latest version without drifitng midiclock for me.

brother-james

Post by brother-james » Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:10 pm

I can't believe that!
I have the same problem, I'm becaming mad and I need to work!

Anyone knows if there is a way to download the 7.0.2?

Tn x

gomi

Re: Midi clock out very laggy

Post by gomi » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:05 pm

quickandbrite wrote:Hi,

Simple setup: Ableton sends midiclock to a drummachine (machindrum in this case)

i've had this issue for a long time, but with rewire instruments.

i gave up using rewire instruments.

but that sucks, i am thinking of getting a machinedrum..
and if this drift is still here then that will definately affect my decision :(

roby

Post by roby » Mon Jun 02, 2008 10:19 pm

well, it's not like it's never going to be fixed, so go ahead and buy the machinedrum. i had this problem with 7.03. it was gone in 7.05. it's back in 7.07. so you can just use 7.05 for now....
i mean it's a big deal/bug, but it shouldn't deter you from getting a machinedrum, coz that thing r0xx0rz

brother-james

Post by brother-james » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:44 am

can I know if there is a version history download link?

I've not found it in my upgrade page.

tnx

roby

Post by roby » Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:03 pm

you may want to contact support for previous links to live v7. or maybe another user has the link..

roby

Post by roby » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:39 am

if for some reason you haven't contacted support about this issue, here's what they told me to do... which worked by the way.
they sent me an "options.txt" file to add to my C:\Documents and Settings\***\Application Data\Ableton\Live 7.0.7\Preferences folder. the file contains the following line:

Code: Select all

-_Live6ClockOutputCompatibility
you can create a txt file, add this line and save it/add it to your Preference folder.

cool shit, thnx Ableton