schippmann ebbe und flut - any users here ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
b0unce

schippmann ebbe und flut - any users here ?

Post by b0unce » Wed May 28, 2008 12:56 am

just looking for some user feedback....

I'll post in some more appropriate places also, but I thought someone is bound to be using it here... ?

I'm looking for esoteric sound sources for minimalistic techno

danke

(is it noisey?)
Last edited by b0unce on Fri May 30, 2008 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
spreader of butter

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Wed May 28, 2008 6:37 am

Sound on Sound mag have an online review of it, http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/a ... ndflut.htm. From what I remember it was noted as being noticeably noisier than was maybe desirable in such a pricey unit.
That said, it does look tasty.
Got a Jomox T-Resonator on the way though, the samples at the Jomox site don't do its madness and beefiness justice unfortunately.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed May 28, 2008 11:55 am

muthafunka wrote:Sound on Sound mag have an online review of it, http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/mar07/a ... ndflut.htm. From what I remember it was noted as being noticeably noisier than was maybe desirable in such a pricey unit.
That said, it does look tasty.
Got a Jomox T-Resonator on the way though, the samples at the Jomox site don't do its madness and beefiness justice unfortunately.
ya, the sound on sound review says it's noisy. But on the schipmann website the maker says the reviewer was inexperienced and didn't really know what he was talking about, hehe. Hence my quest for user feedback...

you're spot on about the t-resonator, it's a MONSTER

http://www.schippmann-music.com/presse.html
Schippman wrote:Unfortunately the Sound on Sound review is concerning and/or confusing potential customers about the noise topic in the issue March 2007. The issued absolute noise values are clearly totally wrong and some natural effects were described in a misguided manner. Example: If you build a signal chain containing a bundle of amplifying stages (input amp.[+20db] - compressor(with low threshold and high compensating gain)[+50db] - distortion[+40db] - selektive filters (high resonance)[+40db] - ...), there will be a tremendous noise level at the last output stage of the chain even if all these modules would be totally noise free!! A very minimum noise level at the first input stage (input amp. in this example) would be amplified by factors in the order of millions (31 million = 150db = 20db + 50db + 40db +40db in this example)!! We promise that the initial noise levels at the audio output stages of every modules are pretty nice:"

· Main output (bypass): -117 dbv
· Compressor out (rear gain switch set to 0 db, knob full ccw): -99 dbv
· Distortion (signalflow switch set in middle position, rear gain switch set to 0 db, compressor (3) = 0, distortion (5) full ccw/cw): -71 dbv
· open VCA at main output (set the switch (39) to the middle and turn the knob ( 38 ) to full ccw, set balance knob (41) to right (VCF2), set VCF2 to 24 db lowpass mode, resonance = 0 and close the filter (knob ( 28 ) full ccw): - 8 0 dbv
· open VCF1 at the rear plug ( 18 ) (Put a plug into the seperate VCF1 input (19) and short it, so, all noise sources before the filter are cut; set the flter to 24 db lowpass mode, resonance=0, cutoff (7) full cw): -88 dbv
· open VCF2 at the rear plug (16) (Put a plug into the seperate VCF2 input (17) and short it, so, all noise sources before the filter are cut; set the flter to 24 db lowpass mode, resonance=0, cutoff ( 28 ) full cw): -94 dbv
spreader of butter

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Wed May 28, 2008 12:34 pm

That is false information.

The reviewer was Gordon Reid, an acclaimed musician and a known authority on synths and effects, particularly analogue synths and effects who has been revieiwing such devices for over 20 years. So the term inexperienced hardly applies here at all.

http://www.gordonreid.co.uk/biog/biog.html

This guy has done dozens of reviews of analogue synths, oscillators, hardware filters and the like for a very long time and he presents his evidence in a very clear manner with scientific measurements. Would be better for the company to say that maybe he got a broken model or a gltichy prototypye that has since been fixed.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Wed May 28, 2008 1:59 pm

hi B0unce.

I only ever auditioned the schippmann at MusikMesse, so clearly not the best listening environment, however "noisy" wasn't what I would call it. Rude and menacing perhaps, and indeed, you know, an analogue filter with all the trimmings, including really nice saturation and such.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Wed May 28, 2008 8:04 pm

Machinate wrote:hi B0unce.

I only ever auditioned the schippmann at MusikMesse, so clearly not the best listening environment, however "noisy" wasn't what I would call it. Rude and menacing perhaps, and indeed, you know, an analogue filter with all the trimmings, including really nice saturation and such.
Hmm...rude & menacing. RUDE....and.....menacing. I see.
I'm wondering what kind of weird shit is possible with all the ins/outs plus a mixer and plenty of auxes ...

@leedsquietman

did you see what 'gary chang' had to say about the soundonsound review on the page I linked ?
"Most of the demo mp3s on the Schippman website are patches that supercede this particular journalist's skills with the device, which includes optimizing noise levels"
spreader of butter

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Wed May 28, 2008 8:46 pm

Search for it on the vintagesynth.com forum(if it actually loads.) There are a couple people on that forum that have a Schippman filter. Those that do have it pretty much praise it as gods(extremely expensive filter, well maybe that just applies to the US) gift.

Have you tried a Sherman? Half the price and also very rude, as Machinate put it.

Olga

Re: schipmann ebbe und fludt - any users here ?

Post by Olga » Fri May 30, 2008 5:34 am

b0unce wrote:just looking for some user feedback....

I'll post in some more appropriate places also, but I thought someone is bound to be using it here... ?

I'm looking for esoteric sound sources for minimalistic techno

danke

(is it noisey?)
My husband owns one and it is the one piece of gear he claims he will never get rid of under any circumstance. He also owns Drawmer 1969, SSL, EL Distressors, Modulars etc. His veneration for the Schippmann outshines anything else in his studio. I asked him if it was noisy and he laughed that that was a loaded question. Yea noisy, he said. Good noise.

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 30, 2008 10:58 am

Olga wrote: My husband owns one and it is the one piece of gear he claims he will never get rid of under any circumstance. He also owns Drawmer 1969, SSL, EL Distressors, Modulars etc. His veneration for the Schippmann outshines anything else in his studio. I asked him if it was noisy and he laughed that that was a loaded question. Yea noisy, he said. Good noise.
foul denizen of the board! get back! get back with your lies! tell hubby to fuck off as well.

ps: what kind of tunes is he supposedly making ?
spreader of butter

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri May 30, 2008 12:12 pm

suburbanbather wrote:Have you tried a Sherman? Half the price and also very rude, as Machinate put it.
I'm wondering this as well?

The Schippmann looks great if you've got the coin but the Sherman seems loaded with great sound and potential at a fairly reasonable price tag for the 2 filter versions.

I haven't been hands on with either unit but I've definitely considered picking up a Sherman.
Image Image

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri May 30, 2008 1:58 pm

The Sherman filter is not that great, if you ask me. It is extremely difficult to control (in a bad way) and the internal (and omnipresent) distortion sounds very flat to me.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Fri May 30, 2008 2:13 pm

Machinate wrote:The Sherman filter is not that great, if you ask me. It is extremely difficult to control (in a bad way) and the internal (and omnipresent) distortion sounds very flat to me.
Hmmm... interesting, thanks for your thoughts.

Just trying to see where you're coming from... what do you like other than the Schippmann in either hard or soft ware?
Image Image

suburbanbather

Post by suburbanbather » Fri May 30, 2008 8:07 pm

Machinate, I agree with you on the control part. The Sherman is a little un-intuitive on the controls, but its good for happy accidents :) I disagree on the distortion comment. I find it quite pleasant on a bass guitar.

muthafunka

Post by muthafunka » Sat May 31, 2008 8:21 am

Jomox T-Resonator?

Fabfilter Volcano 2 JUST out this week.....

tw1nstates

Post by tw1nstates » Sat May 31, 2008 8:14 pm

UHHHHH,

Thanks for that. Thats just become my essential new purchase :/
I slipped into a daze, whilst I was there I heard the most startling music, it was at once familiar and alien, reassuring and unsettling.
https://soundcloud.com/fearoftherave