Just won a JP8000

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thefool

Just won a JP8000

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 6:13 pm

won for around 310£ is that a decent price? Seems you might get it cheaper around USA but this is europe. Whatever if its only worth 250, i don't mind.

now i just gotta wait for the shipment price 8O
Last edited by thefool on Fri May 30, 2008 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 6:15 pm

a fool and his money...
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

contakt321

Post by contakt321 » Fri May 30, 2008 6:15 pm

My friend got one last year and totally loves it. I remember playing one in the store when it first came out all the time.

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 6:17 pm

contakt321 wrote:My friend got one last year and totally loves it. I remember playing one in the store when it first came out all the time.
Cool :)
yah been listening a bit on youtube, sounds cool. And you got access a ton of parameters with knobs etc, lovely.
a fool and his money...
fuck off if you have nothing to say

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 6:23 pm

:cry:

I thought it was a Virus or Nord? IMO JP8000 is a step down from the Virus or Nord. it'll be fine for the Tiesto stuff you do. I shopped for one of these years ago and preferred Waldorf stuff in that price range.

as for the price, does it matter? too late to ask now.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 6:26 pm

Tone Deft wrote::cry:

I thought it was a Virus or Nord? IMO JP8000 is a step down from the Virus or Nord. it'll be fine for the Tiesto stuff you do. I shopped for one of these years ago and preferred Waldorf stuff in that price range.

as for the price, does it matter? too late to ask now.
i'm still bidding on the Virus Classic and the Nord :)

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 6:27 pm

why?

if you have that kind of expendible income fuck the JP8000 (IMO), stick with good stuff, Dave Smith, Moog, Virus, Nord, get a Shermann Filterbank, Lemur, stuff like that.

what's your budget?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Arnold-Rimmer

Post by Arnold-Rimmer » Fri May 30, 2008 6:32 pm

I would never buy a hardware synth. Why bother when there is software that does so much more?
Last edited by Arnold-Rimmer on Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Arnold-Rimmer wrote:I would never buy hardware again. Why bother when there is software that does so much more?
not everyone works like you, this kind of argument happens a lot, it's quite myopic.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 6:34 pm

Tone Deft wrote:why?
I love trance. Thats just it.
The JP8000 is just a classic in those areas :)

Well i'll see, if i don't like it i'll sell it. So what if i loose a little on it, i doubt the prices on the jp8000's are going to drop to bottom tomorrow hehe

just saw danish prices at some auctions they run up in more than i'm going to pay for this inclusive shipping.

about the nord and virus, i just threw a few bids @ ebay and i'm still in the lead. For now though i won't raise if someone outbids me i'll wait till the jp8000 is around.

I'm not bidding on a nord with keyboard though, just a modular. And the virus classic is also not with keyboard

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 6:38 pm

true, buy used and you can probably sell it for about the same.

my advice - learn what you already have, THEN buy more gear. what I see happen is people get tons of gear at once but they never learn to use any of it well, it's overwhelming. get a Virus or Nord or Moog or Dave Smith, learn it really well, then sit back and think about what you need next. machinedrum is another nice Gucci piece of gear. then there's that syndrome of "if I only buy this one piece of gear then I can make the music that's in my head" but it's not true, I think we've all been there.

btw good keyboard for trance, Novation Nova, I have one, it's so good for trance I don't use it anymore, needs a new power supply anyway, the current one whistles. the sound quality isn't always up to the above mentioned synths but it's damn trancey. GREAT little synth for learning VA programming, excellent layout.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri May 30, 2008 6:46 pm

Tone Deft wrote:true, buy used and you can probably sell it for about the same.

my advice - learn what you already have, THEN buy more gear. what I see happen is people get tons of gear at once but they never learn to use any of it well, it's overwhelming. get a Virus or Nord or Moog or Dave Smith, learn it really well, then sit back and think about what you need next. machinedrum is another nice Gucci piece of gear. then there's that syndrome of "if I only buy this one piece of gear then I can make the music that's in my head" but it's not true, I think we've all been there.

btw good keyboard for trance, Novation Nova, I have one, it's so good for trance I don't use it anymore, needs a new power supply anyway, the current one whistles.
Yeah learning what you have is a decent thing. I've spent a lot of time with that, i never really bought a huge bunch of softsynths, just a few very selected ones (i was very aware not to buy things that could do the same thing you know). Some months ago i printed the manual and i have spent a lot of time programming them, and that have given me a decent knowledge about making this and that sound, using whatever synth i had. From that point it comes to the characteristics and the features of the synth to build on top of that.

I doubt this thing will make me do the music thats in my head, it takes time to learn. But i'm on the right path, it gets better and better all the time. And obviously if this will let me make some sounds faster, thats always an improvement

I haven't bought a synth since christmas or such and i've spent countless hours working with them. (bought / changed a lot of effect plugins though). Its not just gearlust :)

well i admit it, this was a bit faster than i usually buy things. Often i read the manuals before even buying the thing, and works with them, trying to get them in and do some programming from scratch.
btw good keyboard for trance, Novation Nova, I have one, it's so good for trance I don't use it anymore, needs a new power supply anyway, the current one whistles.
Yeah all the novation stuff seems to usefull for that :)

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Fri May 30, 2008 6:50 pm

Gucci has connotations of expensive for the sake of being expensive, or all style no substance.

that's not an accurate way to describe a machinedrum

(it's expensive, but you get what you pay for...plus used mkI MDuw's go for not much more than half-price)
spreader of butter

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 30, 2008 6:52 pm

b0unce wrote:Gucci has connotations of expensive for the sake of being expensive, or all style no substance.

that's not an accurate way to describe a machinedrum
it is when you don't have and can't afford one.

sorry, machinedrums are the Ben Davis of drum synths.

you're giving me GAS, STOP!!!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Arnold-Rimmer

Post by Arnold-Rimmer » Fri May 30, 2008 6:53 pm

whoops
Last edited by Arnold-Rimmer on Fri May 30, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.