going to costa rica!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
thefool

going to costa rica!

Post by thefool » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:04 pm

Going there for vacation in a week or so. Anybody been there?

b0unce

Post by b0unce » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:17 pm

rtfm.
spreader of butter

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:21 pm

google images?

holy fuck 8O
(i saved the images of the ladies for myself eheh)

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:24 pm

love it there.ive been over the past 2 winters and have only great feelings for that place.

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:25 pm

I was over in the same area last year (Cuba), which was extremely great. Great to know that you loved it

now.. if i could bring the studio to the beach :P

Anubis

Post by Anubis » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:27 pm

Three times in 2006. Beautiful country with gentle, friendly people. You gotta do the canopy ride, it's pretty thrilling and you get a good perspective on the jungle. Volcanos are a cool hike too. Irazu is 11,000 feet and has an eerie green crater lake. Try to pass through the town of Montezuma in the south. It's a sleepy hippie town. You'll feel like it's the seventies again and can cop a good buzz too :wink: There's also a waterfall there that you can hike. Costa Rica is all about nature so don't be a fool, :D and take in as much as you can. Stay the hell away from San Jose, unless you wanna get laid. :wink:

9.0.4 Suite-Samsung Chronos 7 laptop(17")-12GB RAM-Samsung 840 series SSD(250GB)-iPad2-Maschine-TouchAble-SaffirePro24-Saffire6USB-Komplete Audio 6-Axiom25-PCR300-Nocturn-LaunchPad-QuNeo-QuNexus
miTunes

thefool

Post by thefool » Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:30 pm

I'm going there with my parents (they pay for everything hehe) and my brother (thats pretty cool though)

My dad especially is very interested in nature so we'll probably also be a lot in the forests and so on (obviously also around cities and beaches etc.)

I guess we'll rent a car and then we usually drive a bit around living a few days at each hotel we get by, to see more of it :)

i'll write down the name of that volcano, looks pretty cool
You'll feel like it's the seventies again and can cop a good buzz too
ooh 8)

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:17 pm

Costa Rica is still my favorite place to travel. It helps a lot if you know your way around if you are going to try renting a vehicle, there are many things I can recommend highly for the trip but driving isn't one of them. Just beware, the roads are narrow and often times confusing (especially san jose), and be prepared to be amazed by the difference in driving etiquette.

If you and your family are adventurous then go for it, otherwise having a mostly planned tour set out for you would help you see a lot more of the sites during your visit and waste less time trying to figure out how to get around. I have many friends who have tried both methods of getting around and without fail those who expect to rent a car and get around without too much complication have a rude awakening.

If you and your family prefer the adventure then by all means go for it and drive, just be aware that the roads, signs and drivers often times suck.

Beyond the roads just be a bit cautious with luggage and watch for pick pockets in crowded areas.

Now to the good part, like Anubis says the people and the sites to see in Costa Rica will most likely make your first trip there not be your last.

My list of places to see for a first timer would be:
1-Volcano Arenal, just google this one and look at the cool pictures of the glowing lava that you can see pretty much every night if it's clear. Also, you have to see "Tabacon" here, the coolest hot springs you've ever seen. You could do a canopy tour here as well, and there is a cool waterfall you can get to on horseback. Here is a picture I took at Tabacon. Sitting under a waterfall with the hot thermal waters pounding down on your back at Tabacon can make you never want to move again.
2-Guanacaste beaches. One of the nicer places to stay is Paradisus Conchal, right at playa conchal which will blow your mind. Within half an hour from here you can also see Tamarindo and Flamingo. I've heard the hotel in front of the beach at Flamingo isn't bad, and it's a lot less money than Conchal.
3-Manuel Antonio is a cool beach and has cool wildlife reserve areas to see lots of monkeys, sloths and cool birds.
4- Other stuff to see would be the Irazu or Poas volcanos, Monte Verde. There is also some good white water rafting, sport fishing etc. that you could look into.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:25 pm

leonard

Post by leonard » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:05 pm

she just farted.
sbd.
???

landrvr1

Post by landrvr1 » Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:13 pm

What you don't see is that she's got a cock and balls tucked nicely between those legs.....

Costa Rica is the new Brazil, after all.

Not that I'm speaking from firsthand knowledge *cough* *cough*

Carry on...

thefool

Post by thefool » Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:31 am

sublimelobc wrote:Costa Rica is still my favorite place to travel. It helps a lot if you know your way around if you are going to try renting a vehicle, there are many things I can recommend highly for the trip but driving isn't one of them. Just beware, the roads are narrow and often times confusing (especially san jose), and be prepared to be amazed by the difference in driving etiquette.

If you and your family are adventurous then go for it, otherwise having a mostly planned tour set out for you would help you see a lot more of the sites during your visit and waste less time trying to figure out how to get around. I have many friends who have tried both methods of getting around and without fail those who expect to rent a car and get around without too much complication have a rude awakening.

If you and your family prefer the adventure then by all means go for it and drive, just be aware that the roads, signs and drivers often times suck.

Beyond the roads just be a bit cautious with luggage and watch for pick pockets in crowded areas.

Now to the good part, like Anubis says the people and the sites to see in Costa Rica will most likely make your first trip there not be your last.

1-Volcano Arenal, just google this one and look at the cool pictures of the glowing lava that you can see pretty much every night if it's clear. Also, you have to see "Tabacon" here, the coolest hot springs you've ever seen. You could do a canopy tour here as well, and there is a cool waterfall you can get to on horseback. Here is a picture I took at Tabacon. Sitting under a waterfall with the hot thermal waters pounding down on your back at Tabacon can make you never want to move again.

2-Guanacaste beaches. One of the nicer places to stay is Paradisus Conchal, right at playa conchal which will blow your mind. Within half an hour from here you can also see Tamarindo and Flamingo. I've heard the hotel in front of the beach at Flamingo isn't bad, and it's a lot less money than Conchal.
3-Manuel Antonio is a cool beach and has cool wildlife reserve areas to see lots of monkeys, sloths and cool birds.
4- Other stuff to see would be the Irazu or Poas volcanos, Monte Verde. There is also some good white water rafting, sport fishing etc. that you could look into.
It helps a lot if you know your way around if you are going to try renting a vehicle, there are many things I can recommend highly for the trip but driving isn't one of them. Just beware, the roads are narrow and often times confusing (especially san jose), and be prepared to be amazed by the difference in driving etiquette.

If you and your family are adventurous then go for it,
We are very adventurous hehe
We drove around whole Cuba last summer ourself. Just rented a car and found hotels here and there (we had a tourist book where we could find the good hotels and a map, then we're all set)
We also did that in South Africa, without a tourist guide to find places to sleep but somehow we always ended up at a great bed-and-breakfast or hotel. Roads are good there though, in cuba there are fucking holes in the road many places hehe (DONT drive at night)
I have many friends who have tried both methods of getting around and without fail those who expect to rent a car and get around without too much complication have a rude awakening.
We'll try to look a bit more into it. Probably we'll rent a car and go visit a few locations then from there hire guides or so. Or else we'll just rent a driver for the 3 weeks (female, max 25 years, obviously. Then we'd need 3 rooms on each hotel though instead of two)

thanks for that list, i'll save it and look more into it :)

Btw what can we expect of prices there? Can we get decent hotels for 200-400$ per night per person or something in that area? (without food or so obviously, just the room)

What you don't see is that she's got a cock and balls tucked nicely between those legs.....

Costa Rica is the new Brazil, after all.

Not that I'm speaking from firsthand knowledge *cough* *cough*
Yeah tell me about it :(
:O

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:27 am

thefool- For me, the Paradisus Conchal at about 350/night for my wife and I was living large. With the budget you are suggesting you could stay pretty much anywhere. I've heard the Four Seasons at Papagayo is great...especially if you are into golf. Micheal Jordan and Madonna have vacation homes real close. There are tons of hotels with great "all inclusive" options that help to not have to worry about planning on what or where to eat.

If you haven't figured out by now, I get all giddy talking about Costa Rica...especially when I'm wishing I was there NOW!

For interested parties, if you find your supposed new girlfriend somewhere along "calle ocho" in San Jose s(he) may be of ambiguous gender.

I have to say....the bonerfied er bonafide women in Costa Rica are beautiful, that is NOT a myth.

Pura Vida!

pabloaugustus

Post by pabloaugustus » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:03 am

....I'm not sure if they still have problems with rental cars bearing plates that clearly identify them as such and you as a tourist, but check to make sure....

A few years ago a group of my surfer bros went to Costa and were kidnapped. Seriously. They were camping a block from a police station in a tent next to their rental car. Middle of the night....knife blade stuck through the tent cut it open, thugs blindfolded my homies and threw them in the car....drove for who knows how long and dumped them in the middle of nowhere. My bros were lucky enough to find a small village after hiking for a day...(the way they described the entire village of very short people swarming around them when they walked in, and making them feel very welcome, almost seems like it may have been worth it...to be kidnapped that is)....anyway, they made it back to town eventually minus possessions and the rental car.

Hasn't stopped them from going to Costa though....it was the first of many trips for these guys, who highly recommend it, despite their misadventure.
Thinkpad 2.0GHz, 2GigsRam, MOTU Traveler, Live 6.05, BFD, Triton Extreme w/Moss, PC2R, K2000

sublimelobc

Post by sublimelobc » Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:04 am

pabloaugustus-
I'm quite surprised to hear that story but I would be willing to bet they were in or somewhere south of Limon for something like that to happen. I forgot to mention, most mishaps generally occur in Limon/Cahuitas areas. I had somebody attempt to take my watch once...that's it...maybe being 6'3" and about 240 pounds has something to do with it, dunno.

My favorite Costa Rica "mishap" story is the old Marine vet going Kung Fu on some unfortunate would be mugger. Some seniors hire a local tour guide, he takes them to a beach in the biggest beach ghetto I've ever seen just south of Limon. They get out of the tour van to look around and get jumped. A former marine in his seventies does some Jackie Chan on the mugger, ends up killing him. So their tour bus dropped off the dead mugger at a hospital and the seniors went back on their way back to the cruise ship to get in the buffet line and play bingo like nothing had happened.

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2 ... ugger.html