How does this CG offer smells to you?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SubQ

How does this CG offer smells to you?

Post by SubQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:43 pm

Looking for a Macbook Pro

Saw this on craiglist:
APPLE MACBOOK PRO 15.4" 2.6GHz, 200GB 7200RPM

Penryn.

The guy seemed quite reliable, excellent ebay feedback but is asking MoneyGram transfer to close deal trough ebay.

the price got me thinking... US1550, for a one month old MBP with 3 year applecare warranty? 8O

I know about scams involving mg and other wire transfers, and the price seemed to good to be true. The guy claims that he got another one as gift.

What do you guys think?

coelho
http://soundcloud.com/coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

aisling

Post by aisling » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:47 pm

:? to good to be true is usually an intuative way of "beware".
If it was pay pal then that could be different. follow you inuition. There are lot's of scamming scum out there, don't become a victim.
http://soundcloud.com/aislingbeing

Live, Reason, Moog sub phatty, Moog sub 37, Ozone 6, guitars, Pedals, proper ergonomic sitting posture, french pressed coffee with a pinch of cardamon.

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Don't do it, my (stupid-ish) friend just got had for $1300 for a 'too good to be true' macbook deal on Craig's List.

I repeat.

Don't Do It.

You'll be kissing your money goodbye.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:04 pm

thks sparkle

ill stay cool and try to narrow the guy, asking serial numbers, paypal accounts or p2p delivery.

best

coelho
Dave Smith Prophet 08 SE, Genelecs, RME Multiface, Faderfoxes, Doepfer Drehbank, Padkontrol, DIY Footcontroller, Electro Harmonix Pedals.

Damon_Chambers

Post by Damon_Chambers » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:07 pm

paypal or nothing.

"if its too good to be true, then it is."

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 pm

thks sparkle

ill stay cool and try to narrow the guy, asking serial numbers, paypal accounts or p2p delivery.

best

coelho

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:12 pm

Damon,
Is Paypal really safe? I mean, if you dont get what you bought, there´s total refund?
And what about Ebay refund, do you guys trust it?

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 pm

the best option is Paypal, especially PayPal credit. if the deal goes south, you can do a chargeback, and if you have paypal credit, you have double protection - can to a paypal chargeback as well as a reverse of credit charges, thereby starting not 1 but 2 fraud investigations.

Don't ever to wire transfers or anything of the sort unless you have the product in hand. ever. EVER.

The only time I'd do a wire transfer is if the person brought the lappie over to my house, and then I did a transfer before he left...in which case you could just pay him cash for local delivery. Otherwise, always use some level of protection.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:42 pm

yeah, for CL you should be able to go and grab it in person.

BinaryB

Post by BinaryB » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:11 pm

doc holiday wrote:yeah, for CL you should be able to go and grab it in person.
Yep,

Thats the point of CL !

If he isnt cool about stuff, he aint cool.
And that means the deal aint cool.

... but it could be... and thats what scammers work on.
Live8 & Serato
Download NYE'08 DJset

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:14 am

quoting the email i received from Ebay Security Center for initiating a so-called Safe Transaction:
Payment Instructions:
eBay requires the payment for this item to be done through MoneyGram transfer service to the seller.

How to make payment:
1. Locate the nearest MoneyGram Office.
2. Make the payment with cash using the above seller information.
3. After you complete the transfer email the following information to seller email : philn3erman@aol.com

- Reference number.
- Exact sender's name on file with MoneyGram .
- Exact sender's address on file with MoneyGram .
- Amount sent.

NOTICE: When the seller receives the payment confirmation the item will be shipped to your address by UPS for ground delivery or insured airship cargo for long distance delivery.. The eBay Purchase Protection program protects your purchase against fraud and material misrepresentation. This program is provided by eBay for FREE
on all eligible transactions completed on the eBay site. There is no sign-up, opt-in, or registration necessary. Your purchase is protected for up to $5,000.00 or the purchase price, whichever is lower.
Regards,

Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.
Is this for real?

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:17 am

No!

That email did NOT come from eBay Security Center.

If that is a perfect copy and past of the email you got, the punctuation errors that instantly jump out at me are sign #1 it's a fraud, then the content of the email is sign #2 it's a fraud. eBay will in no way suggest you send money through a MoneyGram.

Stop wasting your time with this scam!
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

nebulae

Post by nebulae » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:27 am

I'm with Sparky, this is WAY fishy. Don't do it bro...

SubQ

Post by SubQ » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:39 am

you´re right guys. I was already out.
Get real and try to find a 15 inch 2.4Ghz 7200 RPM refurbished for less than 2 grand. :?

thanks all

Nick the Zombie

Post by Nick the Zombie » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:54 am

Man, I have seen some poor grammar in scam emails before, but that alleged message from eBay is a pretty bad one. Good to see some solid advice being given on this forum regarding these scams.